Switch to ST1300?

hiro

I came across an advert for a 2007 ST1300 for $4500 with only about 20k miles on it. All stock except tires. (Perfect condition, of course, according to the seller.) Would it be a massive change from a Ninja 650 and would it be a mostly positive one? I know it's a totally different class of bike. 

One thing I don't like about the Ninja 650 is the knee angle. Also, I can't carry much in just a tail bag. And there's just enough windscreen to increase windnoise. Other than those things I like it. 

There are other ST1300's that are a little older or have more miles for around the same price. $4000 to 5500, 17k to 52k miles. Sound about right?

@hiro KBB gives $4300 as trade in value on this bike.  NADA reports $4435 as low retail value.

My dad (73 yr old and still rides) just sold his ST1100 last summer for $3000 with less than 20K miles.  I rode it a bit, very comfortable, a little short on leg room for me, motor sounds sweet, but had some engine heat wafting up hitting my torso - a deal breaker for me.  It had good sized factory side bags, and he put a givi top box on it.

Other than engine displacement, I don't know what else Honda changed on the 1300's.

I think the biggest change you will notice vs your 650 is the weight, and the handling won't be as sharp.

Good thing is that the ST's are popular bikes, which means there are probably aftermarket solutions to anything you wanted to improve on it.  If your like me, you'll end up spending $1000 on windscreens to find one the sucks the least.

There are better deals to be had on similar age FJRs, Connies, and VFRs.  I used to be a Honda motorcycle guy, but when I went to a sport tourer, it was between the Kawasaki and Yamaha (The VFR 1200 was just coming out & ST1300 was long in the tooth).

Edited by Connie14

36 minutes ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

It's as close to a gold wing as you can get without buying a gold wing. Neato engine but underpowered, I hear they are absolutely butter smooth tho, but the weight is why I am not even considering buying one. 

This is probably the best and most accurate description of it ive heard. I'm sure its a quality machine but dated.

I considered an ST1300 for a long long time. My bikes seemed to be getting bigger/heavier and I had been doing longer trips less and less.... I thought the ST was great, shaft drive, big V4... big adjustable electric screen.  Its a quick comfy bike... but I got a couple rides in on one and I realized it was just huge and very heavy... I adjusted towards smaller/lighter and haven't looked back.  If you want to burn through states it would be great... just to putz around on the weekend... eehhhh

Sounds too massive for me, I guess. I was thinking, with something like that I could ride interstate, but realistically, I probably wouldn't go that far. It would probably get boring waiting for the road to curve a little once in a while.