Which sport tourer is best sport tourer?

Gixxus Christ!

20 hours ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

I had not considered the ninja 1000 until now. Pretty impressive numbers. It's on the list of bikes I want to ride.

Ninja 1000 has been good to me.  Never been left behind on it.  It's not a bike with a soul though, if that's what your looking for.  It's more like a tool for tools. (With comfortable ergos.) You can ride mine if and when you have your meaty greet if you want. I do soft bags & am not into that 2 up crap.  My wife rides her own.  I must admit, the thing that bugs me the most about this bike is it drags pegs at about 85% pace compared the CBR I used to have.

Edited by jschaf

22 hours ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

I had not considered the ninja 1000 until now. Pretty impressive numbers. It's on the list of bikes I want to ride.

If you were mainly looking for long-haul comfort, I'd say go with something like an FJR1300, but since you're a sport bike guy at heart, the Ninja 1000 is the best bang for the buck in terms of a sport bike made comfortable enough for travel. I'd also agree with ricer1's recommendation to consider an FZ-10 if you don't mind assembling your own luggage options and maybe finding the right wind management that works for you.

I'm still leaning hard toward the vfr1200 because v4 and because Honda, but the ninja is a sexy bike...idk if I'll be doing a ton of long hauls, probably won't have time to the way the new job is looking, not for this season at least. I look forward to dragging my nuts across the seat of as many bikes as possible. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Qman said:

The old Sprint ST 1050 people seemed to like. Ive never had the pleasure, but did ride the  speed triple.  That motor was pretty sweet!

My 2006 Sprint ST was a great bike.  Well over 30k miles with no issues.  Would have kept it for many more years if I hadn't done the poor bike the disservice of not being attentive and stuffing it into the side of a mountain.  Oops, my bad, just didn't cover it. :)

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, vf1000ride said:

My 2006 Sprint ST was a great bike.  Well over 30k miles with no issues.  Would have kept it for many more years if I hadn't done the poor bike the disservice of not being attentive and stuffing it into the side of a mountain.  Oops, my bad, just didn't cover it. :)

I will add that it seems to me that triumphs have more than their share of problems.  Seems everyone ive ever known to own a triumph has had something serious go wrong with theirs.

On 2/24/2018 at 11:52 AM, CrazySkullCrusher said:

I'm still leaning hard toward the vfr1200 because v4 and because Honda, but the ninja is a sexy bike...idk if I'll be doing a ton of long hauls, probably won't have time to the way the new job is looking, not for this season at least. I look forward to dragging my nuts across the seat of as many bikes as possible. 

I'm on my second Honda and both had weak electric systems... Just throwing it out there. My current one will be my last. 

Some models had issues with stators,  voltage regator/rectifier and associated wiring. Not sure about the vfr1200, I think they would have sorted it by now, then again it was a problem with the 80's v4 bikes and they hadn't fixed it on the 6th gen interceptor yet....still, easy fix if you know it's an issue.

30 minutes ago, what said:

Triumphs are mechanically sound, the electric system is what seems to cause the most issues. 

Except for certain Daytona clutch components :p 

Daytona pivot plate is a known issue in the 13 and 14s.  Fixed for 15+.  Also can't flash the ecu on the third gen Daytona, don't know if that's an issue across the board for Triumph though.

43 minutes ago, what said:

Triumphs are mechanically sound, the electric system is what seems to cause the most issues. 

Except for certain Daytona clutch components :p 

I believe ( haven't confirmed this ) Triumph upgraded the R/R on the 1050GT ( and possibly all platforms with the 1050cc ) in 2011+ but finding Sprint GT's locally is a rare thing.  When I bought my '11 it was 1 of 2 in the state, and I'm not sure the ST's were even sold here after '09-'10?  In fact, I dont remember seeing any Sprint GT's newer than 2011 for sale in the states a couple years ago when I was shopping....but they still built it overseas until at least 2015 or 16.

On 2/24/2018 at 1:52 PM, CrazySkullCrusher said:

That vfr1200 is very very nice.  Seems equal with the Ninja 1000 on twisty ability but probably has better suspension as the Ninja has 41mm forks.  Plus, no pesky chain on the vfr.  Fit & finish on the vfr1200 is top end. Ninja 1000, not so much. Kawi went budget on the Ninja but Honda went all out on the vfr1200. IMHO it's one of the most underrated bikes around. Plus, the vfr1200 is red, lol.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jschaf said:

That vfr1200 is very very nice.  Seems equal with the Ninja 1000 on twisty ability but probably has better suspension as the Ninja has 41mm forks.  Plus, no pesky chain on the vfr.  Fit & finish on the vfr1200 is top end. Ninja 1000, not so much. Kawi went budget on the Ninja but Honda went all out on the vfr1200. IMHO it's one of the most underrated bikes around. Plus, the vfr1200 is red, lol.

Vfr also puts a lot more power to the pavement. Ninja 1000 puts down numbers very similar to my nodded bandit 1200 and weighs more. 

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 3:14 AM, Qman said:

I will add that it seems to me that triumphs have more than their share of problems.  Seems everyone ive ever known to own a triumph has had something serious go wrong with theirs.

Not all Triumphs. My Speed Triple turns 21 next month (yes, I'll buy it a beer) and has 105k+ miles and has never had anything serious go wrong. My Daytona 675 has been totally reliable, too.

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 1

One of the things that stands out about the VFR 12 is the traction.  It has excellent grip and can get all that power to the ground without even a wiggle.

I can get on the throttle earlier on corner exit than on other bikes I've owned including the 1125r and cbr600rr.  I can basically dump the throttle mid corner and it it shoots out.  It's a refined package.

Edited by Tpoppa

45 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

One of the things that stands out about the VFR 12 is the traction.  It has excellent grip and can get all that power to the ground without even a wiggle.

I can get on the throttle earlier on corner exit than on other bikes I've owned including the 1125r and cbr600rr.  I can basically dump the throttle mid corner and it it shoots out.  It's a refined package.

Mass will do that.:lol:

10 hours ago, jschaf said:

vfr1200 142 rwhp 590 lbs (4.15 lb/ hp), Ninja 1000 123 rwhp, 509 lbs (4.13 lb/ hp). Not a significant difference.  Just buy Tony's vfr already. I was trying to persuade you to do that anyhow.

Oh I'm leaning heavily toward the her, just need to ride it. 

45 minutes ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

Oh I'm leaning heavily toward the her, just need to ride it. 

With all this positive talk about the 1200VFR, makes me wonder why they've sold next to none.  I'd say one big negative is how costly it would be when you lay it over.  All that beautiful and intricate plastic is surely expensive.  Have you priced insurance?