Which sport tourer is best sport tourer?

Gixxus Christ!

@CrazySkullCrusher What's your budget?

I love bike hunting, and based on the number of replies to your thread, SO DOES EVERYONE ELSE!!!:)

Think we're getting an idea of what your after...

Ooo......yeah....Tuonooooo.  Love them things, but I sat on one at Pony and I hated to admit it but the pegs were too high for me.  Leg crampage for me for sure.

2 hours ago, mello dude said:

I'm the admitted VFR800 addict.. Get a ride on a 5th gen or any of the others.....

Interceptor SS

The 800 vtec is also a bike I want to ride, but I'm already used to far more power than it makes, and I like it... my bandit 1200 has katana 1100 cams, yosh pipe and I jetted and tuned the carbs for the k&n oval filters....makes an easy 20 hp more than the interceptor with way more torque... It's a fast bike, and well, I'm not buying down from that. The main draw for the 800 for me is the vtec coolness and exhaust tone that comes with it. I'll reserve judgement until I ride one but I think I'll be underwhelmed.

SV1000?

Never road one, but they sound sweet, and can't recall reading anything sucky about them.

One of my riding buddies had a pre-tec VFR800.  I rode it several times while he'd take my ZX11 for a spin.  The VFR's a beautiful bike, his was red with a polished frame, they sound great, but the motor had no where near the power the zx11 had.  My buddy would usually get off my bike and ask for clean underwear:D

I put 80k+ miles on 2 vfr800s.  I miss them immensely.  But, id much rather "sport-tour" on either of the GSs ive had.  Comfort/riding position, suspension, (handles rough roads well) alternator output, load hauling capacity, ability to drop it without hurting much, tall(better view over SUVs), tires last longer, more range, ....the list goes on.

1 hour ago, Qman said:

I put 80k+ miles on 2 vfr800s.  I miss them immensely.  But, id much rather "sport-tour" on either of the GSs ive had.  Comfort/riding position, suspension, (handles rough roads well) alternator output, load hauling capacity, ability to drop it without hurting much, tall(better view over SUVs), tires last longer, more range, ....the list goes on.

VFRX's?

50 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

For some reason, Honda decided the vfr1200x should make 40 less hp than the vfr1200f

Yeah...what the heck Honda.  I was fired up when I saw the VFRX first pics - that awesome motor in a more upright seating position.  Then they neutered it.

BTW - the vfr1200f is one of the most amazing looking bikes big red has ever produced.  And it's fast.  Pony had a used one a few years ago I almost pulled the trigger on.....

13 hours ago, Rodehard said:

SV1000?

Never road one, but they sound sweet, and can't recall reading anything sucky about them.

One of my riding buddies had a pre-tec VFR800.  I rode it several times while he'd take my ZX11 for a spin.  The VFR's a beautiful bike, his was red with a polished frame, they sound great, but the motor had no where near the power the zx11 had.  My buddy would usually get off my bike and ask for clean underwear:D

Sv1000 is a nice bike, I used to own it's psychotic uncle, the TL1000S, but it's not the most comfortable ride out of the box and has all the weight of a 1000cc bike with all the power of a 600. 

I had an SV1000S. Sold it to buy my first FJR. I went so far as to run Helibars and the SV Comfort Gel seat on it. I was finding out that I liked rides that were longer than the usual 110 miles, and riding the same route over and over got repetitive. Having a sport touring rig really opened up my eyes. 

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the Ninja 1000. If you "absolutely love sport bikes," then I think you should consider the Ninja 1000 with the saddlebags, especially if you're considering a track day. It will be sportier on the street and way better for a track day than a heavier Concours 14 or FJR1300. It also happens to be more powerful and lighter than a VFR800 Interceptor and generally less expensive, too, both to buy and to maintain (no VTEC). It's a sport bike made reasonably comfortable. The 2017s and later have an IMU so you get angle-sensitive ABS and traction control. 2014-2016 get you the better bags and some engine improvements. I have not ridden the new ones with the IMU but I did get a day-long test ride on the previous edition.

Ninja_1000.jpg

• Upvote 1

Well we're just gonna have to round up everyone who owns a bike I'm thinking of buying and get them in the same place so I can try everyone's bike out. Maybe we should also have really good food and beer and other bubbies there as well......hmmm.....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

Well we're just gonna have to round up everyone who owns a bike I'm thinking of buying and get them in the same place so I can try everyone's bike out. Maybe we should also have really good food and beer and other bubbies there as well......hmmm.....

If the weather cooperates I'll ride my Kaw Ninja 1000 to the Meat & Greet and you are welcome to test ride the bike. I would also consider the Yam FZ-10, the cross-plane engine is extremely smooth and along with TC and ABS it has cruise control.  

Edited by ricer1

I had a 04 vfr800 asphalt black, I really do miss that bike. I know you were concerned with the vtec speed but it wasent an issue for me. Now that im on faster bikes maybe I would say otherwise but in the  street it was awesome. First track day was on one please ignore the crappy riding.