Which sport tourer is best sport tourer?

Gixxus Christ!

Starting a new job that almost doubles my current income. Time to give my 15 year old bandit up to someone else and get myself into something more appropriate for a man of means. 

Considering The usual heavy hitters from Japan, fjr, connie14, vfr1200.... duty will be daily commute and weekend rides with a possible track day or two. 

I'm not adverse to other options. So tell me what you love and why.

I picked up a Connie last fall and I’m very happy with the bike. Handles great and still very comfortable. Tons of power.  The bag system is awesome and nothing looks out of place when there removed. I have zero experience with the others listed but it’s my understanding it comes down to small preferences. I’ve always been a Kawi guy so I didn’t look very hard at the other options. 

^ what he said.  I haven't ridden the VFR1200.  The Connie and FJR tend to be a little more oriented to touring, and the VFR is a little sportier.  They are all fast enough to get you into trouble, and comfortable enough to ride all day long.

• Upvote 2

Yea really hard to answer that question without riding them studying them and sitting on them. Like others have said each has its own personality just need to find the one that fits you. I love my Connie but I've seen justins FJR do amazing things but when I rode one several years ago it just didn't for me. VFR is an amazing power plant but I think you give up ergos. Also look at the after market for each bike because you know you will be customizing it for yourself. Obiously any questions about any of them you can ask us on here and well give you all the info you need. Im very well versed on the Connie, Justin is on the FJR and I'm sure Tony could give some insite on the honda. And you know tou have a open invite to take mine for a spin but if you break it you bought it...lol

Edited by 2talltim

Yeah, my plan is to ride everyone else's bike before I plunk down the money, just wondering if there was a better option outside of those... zook doesn't have a strong sport tourer between the bandit 1250 and the busa, I would be open to a sprint. Don't think I want to pay for a late model duc or ape...Maybe BMW? 

The KTM SDR is the best sport touring bike I've ever owned.  I know, sounds weird given that it's a naked bike, and doesn't come with hard luggage.

Some quick take-aways from past experience:  bikes are like shoes, one size does not fit all; Inline 4's buzz the handlebars-even some with dual counter balance shafts; airflow can ruin a bike; ride the bike to see how it manages engine heat/flow of hot air from radiator.

Here's what I liked/disliked about past sport touring bikes I've owned.

1992 ZX-11.  Likes:  Power, wheelies, sound, handling, could load it up with soft luggage for a 2 week trip.   Dislikes: weight on wrists, 1" risers helped but some.  Hand numbing vibration - I fill the bars with metal shot, turned some giant bar ends on the lathe, and used Grab On grips, much better but not gone.  No cruise.  Cramped legs (I'm 6'1").  Stock seat sucked, Corbin was only marginally better.

2002 ZZR1200.  This was an updated ZX-11 with higher bars, lower pegs, longer subframe for more pillion/luggage space.  Likes:  Power, wheelies, sound, handling, Givi hard panniers and top box available, better leg room than ZX-11.     Dislikes: Weight on wrists (I still added 1" bar risers), the bars still buzzed even worse than the ZX11, no cruise,  Kawi really screwed up the aero and the heat management when they restyled it.  Airflow was god-awfull loud, turbulent, and I tried 3 aftermarket screens with only a little improvement from a ZG double bubble.  And engine heat - jezis I couldn't ride the thing if it was much over 80, even going down the freeway it roasted my legs and crotch.

2009 BMW R1200RT  Likes:  No vibration in the bars, ESA suspension, good seat, cruise, heated grips and seats, electric windshield adjustment, great ergos (but maybe a touch too upright), 260mile gas tank, hard panniers and top box, very little engine heat below 90deg.  Dislikes:  No cooling airflow to torso/crotch area and a pocket of stagnant hot air at your feet on hot days, parts are expensive, wish the screen went lower in hot weather, airflow is smooth but loud with screen in lowest position,  It is sooooo slow.  And that boxer motor was kind of tractor-like, and it sounded like a scooter.

2015 SDR.  Likes:  Power, looks, wheelies, handling, super light, sounds awesome, perfect seating position, naked so the airflow is smooth and quiet, decent stock seat, better $130 optional seat, no vibration in the bars (a little thumping but I have to be looking for it to notice), zero hot air from the radiator on my body, or legs unless I pull my legs into the hot airflow, soft luggage big enough for a weeks trip, I have added heated grips and electronic cruise control, great leg room, KTM parts and accessories are priced similar to Big J bikes.  Dislikes:  Naked, so have to carry more gear and put it on sooner, 170mile range, too small for two up trips (if you do that)......that's all I got.

Wow, thanks. That was a very comprehensive review. My current bike is a bandit 1200 with some suspension and power upgrades and it's been a good bike for 5 or so years, but the bars buzz and my knees don't like the seating position. Great all around bike but very low tech and dated. Looking for more comfort, more power and better suspension, and the smoothness of shaft drive is pretty attractive too.

No trouble crusher.

Had another thought for ya.  If I didn't stumble across the SDR and was still looking for something, I'd be looking hard at those adventure-ish bikes - not the full on beemer GS's, but the ones that look like a GS but are clearly intended for road use only.  Think KTM 1190/1290ADV, honda VFR1200X, multistrada, yammie FJ09 - these are bikes that can rip a twisty road, wheelie, carry luggage, legroom, don't weigh 650lbs, and have some wind protection.

BUT - I'd have to ride them first - see if the screens screw up the airflow, see how the engine/rad heat is handled, do the bars buzz (don't think I'll ever own another inline 4).  And you just do not know until you ride it.

On the shaft drive - I did not notice my shaft drive bikes being any smoother than chain, but the near zero maintenance on the shaft drive is very nice.

Good luck on your bike hunt, and congrats on the new job.

I'd buy another FJR.  Loved that bike but after the wreck I decided to go another direction.  If I make room for a sport tour with hard bags again, I would look at that one first.  My GenII had plenty of power, handled decent with full Ohlins.  I added heated grips and would have liked cruise control on the couple times I took it for major slab miles.  Both of those are standard on the GenIIIs.  The stock hard side cases were great, I did get a large Shad top case with a Givi base rack that bolted directly to the subframe so I felt better about loading the top case up and Katie leaning against it.  We were able to fit both helmets and full gear for both of us in the three cases no problem.  Loved that bike.

Do you really intend to regularly take a passenger distances?  If not, I'd seriously look for something else like that Super Duke with bags or some other super naked, MT10?  Probably have a windshield available aftermarket. 

Sprint?  My buddy had a Bandit 1200 and then bought a Sprint.  Kept it for about a year and decided it wasn't as big of an improvement as he hoped.  Didn't handle great, not gobs of power, meh... 

I guess a first question should be why do you think you want a sport tour bike when it's main duty would be for daily commuting?

21 minutes ago, jacobhawkins said:

I'd buy another FJR.  Loved that bike but after the wreck I decided to go another direction.  If I make room for a sport tour with hard bags again, I would look at that one first.  My GenII had plenty of power, handled decent with full Ohlins.  I added heated grips and would have liked cruise control on the couple times I took it for major slab miles.  Both of those are standard on the GenIIIs.  The stock hard side cases were great, I did get a large Shad top case with a Givi base rack that bolted directly to the subframe so I felt better about loading the top case up and Katie leaning against it.  We were able to fit both helmets and full gear for both of us in the three cases no problem.  Loved that bike.

Do you really intend to regularly take a passenger distances?  If not, I'd seriously look for something else like that Super Duke with bags or some other super naked, MT10?  Probably have a windshield available aftermarket. 

Sprint?  My buddy had a Bandit 1200 and then bought a Sprint.  Kept it for about a year and decided it wasn't as big of an improvement as he hoped.  Didn't handle great, not gobs of power, meh... 

I guess a first question should be why do you think you want a sport tour bike when it's main duty would be for daily commuting?

I don't think I'll be doing much 2 up at all.

Duke is gorgeous but not in budget.

I almost bought a sprint last time I was looking but settled on the bandit because of the stump-pulling motor, reliability and ease of maintenance and availability of parts.

I don't really care for most naked bikes, and I have an old cb750 I built that is already naked. I like fairings for freeway.

I'm looking at a sport tourer because I absolutely love sport bikes but can't do the ergos anymore, so this gives me sporty performance without being a torture rack. I'll probably end up on a cruiser in a few years tho if my shoulders deteriorate any more.

• Upvote 1

I got my Sprint GT a few seasons ago, and I like it....don't LOVE it, but it does all I need it to.  It's fairly a bareboned bike in that it doesn't have electronic amenities that I find attractive the older I get, but it's a great 'tweener bike between sportbike and FJR/C14 sized ST's.

I just really needed to step down from the power of my ZX14.  It was thirsty, too long legged for what I needed, no luggage, ate rear tires as fast as it drank fuel ( my wrist is to blame there though ), and just begged to be fast on the freeways....so I cashed in my chips while I was still holding some.

Sprint GT is probably closer in seating and feel to your Bandit, but the ST is more abundantly for sale - yet I found it cramped and sportier seated.  The 1050 is a great motor though, love the torque and the tone of it.  Good luck Sam, I shopped for nearly a year and changed my mind at least 6 times before committing to the Triumph LOL

I can't really add anything that no one else hasn't said already. It comes down to budget and what you like. There's TONS of aftermarket support for all the major players in the game. And you can usually find one that's been farkled up pretty good for a decent price. 

Since I don't know you personally, are you a taller or shorter person? Is your torso longer than your legs or vice versa? Are you nutrionally advantaged or Starvin Marvin? Each of these could play into your decision just in how the ergos are on each bike. I went with the FJR since I had an 06 as my last bike before my kid was born. Sold it and took a few years off. Bought a used Sprint ST1050 but since I've had both knees partially replaced, my legs kept hurting. Upgraded to a 2015 FJR and haven't looked back. Was seriously considering a Multistrada or possibly the new BMW R1200RS but the price tag and cost of maintenance didn't agree with my budget.

Go sit on a bunch, maybe find a dealer who will offer demo rides, do lots of research. In the end its just a matter of personal preference.

I know you said you weren't really interested in anything Italian, but have you looked into/checked out the Tuono?  And before any of you savages get started, I know Aprilia's aren't always reliable, and they have issues sometimes, blah, blah.  I just wanted to through it out as something to consider, because if I was looking to get a bigger bike I'd be looking at the Tuono or the Monster 1200R or maybe the S1000R.  But that V4 though... I really need to play the lottery or invest more time into finding a sugar daddy... lol

Just my 2 cents.  

Congrats on the new job and good luck on the new bike hunt.  :)