Hopefully easy clarification on CCW rules

Bubba

I'm specifically interested in a clarification on what rules apply when carrying in a vehicle with other passengers, who may NOT be CC licensed.

If I have it holstered on my body, I assume there is not an issue.

Are there rules that address having it stored in the vehicle, say the center console, while driving or riding as a passenger when there are one or more persons in the vehicle?

Presumably this would come into question if there is an issue where the firearm is perceived to be NOT under my control.

Thanks, and I hope this doesn't sound stupid...

As I understand it, If the loaded firearm is accessible by a non-CHL person in the vehicle, it’s an F-4 felony offense in Ohio.

If everyone in the vehicle does not have a CHL, make sure you have the firearm secured in a holster on your person under your control, or at least placed somewhere inaccessible to the non-CHL person (e.g. you are driving and you have the firearm in the driver’s door storage compartment).   Not a perfect solution, but better than the glove box or center console.

Do not leave a loaded firearm in an unlocked glove box or in the center console if the non-CHL person can access those areas easily.  If you lock it in the glovebox make sure the non-CHL person doesn’t have a key to open it. 

I have my CHL, as does my wife and adult son, so for us it’s not an issue unless there is someone else in the vehicle.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wahoo said:

As I understand it, If the loaded firearm is accessible by a non-CHL person in the vehicle, it’s an F-4 felony offense in Ohio.

If everyone in the vehicle does not have a CHL, make sure you have the firearm secured in a holster on your person under your control, or at least placed somewhere inaccessible to the non-CHL person (e.g. you are driving and you have the firearm in the driver’s door storage compartment).   Not a perfect solution, but better than the glove box or center console.

Do not leave a loaded firearm in an unlocked glove box or in the center console if the non-CHL person can access those areas easily.  If you lock it in the glovebox make sure the non-CHL person doesn’t have a key to open it. 

I have my CHL, as does my wife and adult son, so for us it’s not an issue unless there is someone else in the vehicle.  

Thanks.  This is what I 'feared' when I recently went on a long 14-hour non-stop road trip and didn't want to have the firearm on my waistband with the complication of a seat belt.  After I thought about it for a bit, I took the mag out of the Glock and stored it with extra in the trunk, but of course that makes carry for defensive purposes a moot point.  I guess I'll have to look at other carry options for situations like this.

Edited by Bubba

My 9mm M&P Shield works well OWB in cold weather with a sweatshirt or fleece covering it.  In warmer weather, i carry my LCP 380, either on my ankle (with jeans) or in a # 2 Blackhawk pocket holster (with shorts).   

I have an ankle holster that works with the Shield also, but the LCP is a much better choice for ankle carry.  

12 hours ago, motocat12 said:

and make sure the passenger isn't a felon:mugshot:

do you have your licence? my class allowed you to come back for the legal part updates and submit questions.

Meh.  I'm old.  I stopped dating and hanging out with felons a long time ago...

I do have my license and plan on stopping in to the training center to ask this question.