New Guy...

Stolen 98

Hi I'm Rob... And I've decided 2018 is the year I'm getting into Bikes...

I got my temps last Friday and enrolled in Ohio Basic Riders Course for 3/21. I've never even ridden a moped let alone a motorcycle.

I thought I wanted to get a sport bike....and then I sat on one and being a fat kid, I wasn't comfortable. I then sat on a BOLT and a Vulcan S and I really loved how the Vulcan S felt.

A couple friends have discouraged me from the Bolt and Vulcan S due to their lack of power 60hp 41tq... A friend strongly suggested getting a Harley 1200 sportster/nightster...so I'm in the market for one.

I really like customizing things... Guns/Trucks/Mustangs ETC.

4 minutes ago, Stolen 98 said:

A couple friends have discouraged me from the Bolt and Vulcan S due to their lack of power 60hp 41tq... A friend strongly suggested getting a Harley 1200 sportster/nightster...so I'm in the market for one.

I really like customizing things... Guns/Trucks/Mustangs ETC.

Inidan scout is a excellent option too, plenty of power. 100HP

Edited by 2talltim
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Cool I'll check those out. My budget for my first bike is $3500-$4000... I'm hoping to find something fuel injected and with under 10k miles.

I've found a few Vulcan S bikes in my range...I'm just worried about it being under powered for my size 330lbs.

6 minutes ago, Stolen 98 said:

Cool I'll check those out. My budget for my first bike is $3500-$4000... I'm hoping to find something fuel injected and with under 10k miles.

I've found a few Vulcan S bikes in my range...I'm just worried about it being under powered for my size 330lbs.

Yea I doubt you will find one of the newer scouts for that. I'd steer away from anything harley but that's just me. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Stolen 98 said:

Don't forget to set aside an easy $500 or more for GOOD protective riding gear.....making your bike budget more like $3k-$3500

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Yea I doubt you will find one of the newer scouts for that. I'd steer away from anything harley but that's just me. 

I'd like to buy a Vulcan S and figure out a way to bolt on another 50hp....but it doesn't seem like that's a reality.

7 minutes ago, Helmutt said:

Don't forget to set aside an easy $500 or more for GOOD protective riding gear.....making your bike budget more like $3k-$3500

If he goes the harley route he can put that money towards chrome and just get a quality bandana and some flip flops :lol: 

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Stolen 98 said:

A couple friends have discouraged me from the Bolt and Vulcan S due to their lack of power 60hp 41tq..

Those are the same friends that I'm faster than on a 50hp sv650 :lol:.

Welcome, you'll find a massive amount of knowledge and debauchery on this forum. It's awesome. 

• Beer 1

Welcome!  I'm a newbie to the forum too, but not a new rider - been at it for 42 years (and I'm a solidly mediocre rider!).

If you've never ridden street bikes, or dirt bikes before, I recommend not worrying about HP at all.  Find something you feel comfortable on, and you like the looks of the bike, and learn how to ride, and survive on the street.

THEN, after a couple seasons worth of learning, you can peddle your learner bike on CL and move up to whatever!

Good luck! you're about to embark on a life changing journey into the best sport/hobby there is!!!

Hotrods are cool (got one myself), but bikes are cheaper (well, sort of, or can be) to modify and easier to work on.  And, a bone stock 20yr old sport touring bike like the ZX-11 will run 10's all day long.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, 2talltim said:

Welcome..and there are plenty of fat kids on sport bikes around here, including myself. :lol: 

I'm more of a fat old man on a fat old man sport bike though. 

If your a fat old guy, that must make me an obese, ancient man.

• Beer 1

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update here....

I passed my basic riders course and now have my endorsement.

I bought a 2016 Sportster 48 with 50miles on it.

So far--- I've installed V&H Short Shots, V&H FP3, 2in tank lift, coil and ignition relocation and LED headlight. The bike now has 82 miles. LOL

Sportster 48.jpg

• Upvote 1