Psoriasis sucks!

Howabusa

I was diagnosed in 2012 with plaque psoriasis. It is a progressive thing. It didn’t bother me to much for 4 or 5 years. I  have it on the palms of my hands and a spot on my scalp. It has gotten to the point now that I am getting pain in my joints, psoriatic arthritis. Not good. I just went on Otezla. It seems to be helping, but the side effects were so bad that I quit taking after 10 days. Not sure where to go from here.

Edited by Howabusa
  • Sad 1

^^^^This is why I do the things I want to do now!My dad died at the same age I am right now...57.The only good thing that came from his early death is my realization of just how precious and short life and health are.Every day you wake up in good health truly is a blessing...don't waste it or take it for granted.

If you can,do your California trip.I really hope you can do it soon and it's even more enjoyable than you imagined!!!

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, Howabusa said:

I was diagnosed in 2012 with plaque psoriasis. It is a progressive thing. It didn’t bother me to much for 4 or 5 years. I  have it on the palms of my hands and a spot on my scalp. It has gotten to the point now that I am getting pain in my joints, psoriatic arthritis. Not good. I just went on Otezla. It seems to be helping, but the side effects were so bad that I quit taking after 10 days. Not sure where to go from here.

Sorry to hear about your struggles.  I wish I could tell you about a magic pill or something, but I just don't know anything about psoriasis.  I feel for you.  It's tough when the body decides to do things we don't want to happen.  Maybe the docs can come up with something else to try.  Google Rick Simpson Oil, may this or something similar could be used if your willing to travel to states where it's legal (I believe similar products will be legal in Ohio this September).  Keep up the fight brother!

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Rodehard said:

Sorry to hear about your struggles.  I wish I could tell you about a magic pill or something, but I just don't know anything about psoriasis.  I feel for you.  It's tough when the body decides to do things we don't want to happen.  Maybe the docs can come up with something else to try.  Google Rick Simpson Oil, may this or something similar could be used if your willing to travel to states where it's legal (I believe similar products will be legal in Ohio this September).  Keep up the fight brother!

Unfortunately it is not curable, you can treat the symptoms.

9 minutes ago, Howabusa said:

Unfortunately it is not curable, you can treat the symptoms.

oof....that's rough bud.

One thing I've learned thru my families health struggles is the docs don't know everything, and it pays to research on your own.  Try everything - the holistic stuff, whatever gives you some relief.  You've probably already done this, but I bet there's a Psoriasis forum or FB page that may give you some ideas to try.  Good luck to you!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rodehard said:

oof....that's rough bud.

One thing I've learned thru my families health struggles is the docs don't know everything, and it pays to research on your own.  Try everything - the holistic stuff, whatever gives you some relief.  You've probably already done this, but I bet there's a Psoriasis forum or FB page that may give you some ideas to try.  Good luck to you!

I have researched it. My wife is a RN/ director of nursing, so we are pretty knowledgeable when it comes to this kind of stuff.

• Sad 1

There are a lot of new meds for psoriasis. But, they all have side effects. And they are really expensive. Otezla is $22000 a year, that is one of the cheaper ones. And of course have to get your insurance to pay for it. Good luck with that!

Ah man.  Side effects, insurance, copays....we know these pains well in our house.  I remember getting $110,000 bills from children's hospital for our daughter's chemo, and that was just one week's treatment, every week for 11 months straight.  very sucky.

Just keep your chin up, keep digging, and don't let it beat you down.  Easy for me to type.....

Having things to look forward to always helps.  You aren't far from me at all, so we're going to do some riding come spring time!  Sound good?

Maybe meet up somewhere, head to Millersburg direction, eat some amish food, enjoy the day on two wheels.  Nothing better for the soul.