Considering a job opportunity

Gixxus Christ!

3 hours ago, 2talltim said:

Welcome to the packaging industry. One thing is for sure it's job security. No matter what the current fad or trend is you have to have a container or box or some sort of packaging to put it in.

Much more secure than aerospace. Not quite as glamorous tho. I guess it's only ever gotten slow at Stolle Machinery once, and they were down to 40 hour weeks for a few months. 

What is it with so many companies and working sat?  Everywhere i go works a damn sat.  All my buddies are telling to srop whining and take the money bla bla bla.  Why work like a dirty hoe 6 days a week while the pimp gets all the money for your lost life.  

Edited by serpentracer
  • Like 1

My 5 to 6 year plan is to have my own shop up and running.  The people i work for have no idea what theyre doing.  They were sold a franchise and didnt know 1 thing about windows.  Me and my buddy have ran the place.  All they have is money.  We do it all so why make them all the money and we make $22/hr.  Example i installed $2800 worth of work in 8 hrs yesterday.  I get $176.  The material was $500.  They made $2124 in 8 hrs.  Why the hell am i not doing this for myself.   All i need is a van. A website and money for google ad words or whatever its called now

Edited by serpentracer

22 minutes ago, serpentracer said:

What is it with so many companies and working sat?  Everywhere i go works a damn sat.  All my buddies are telling to srop whining and take the money bla bla bla.  Why work like a dirty hoe 6 days a week while the pimp gets all the money for your lost life.  

Because benefits cost more than overtime. It's more cost effective to pay overtime to associates that are already getting benefits than it would be to hire more people and or add a shift or even expand and add more space. Then they would have to pay those folks benefits as well. I make roughly $60k a year with OT but our plant controller (as they call him)that basically balances all monies in and out  told me each associate cost the company roughly $95k a year to employ. So figuring some quick math my base pay is around $46k year I make around $14k ish a year in over time so that make my benefits package and what ever else is involved worth around $35k. So why would they pay extra people benefits when they can work the ones they have to death because OT is cheaper. Sucks but it is what it is.

Ive worked here for 21 years and OT and Saturdays are just the way of life. My years of service have earned me much vacation time so that helps get me though. But I'm taking advantage and stashing away a lot in 401k and getting shit like my house paid off early so maybe before I'm 50 I can get out and enjoy the fruits of my labor.

32 minutes ago, serpentracer said:

I'm at work now. Hard to pass up $34.50/hr and it's only a half day. Also, if I don't work today I'll end up in the weeds next week working 12's to dig myself out. We have a production schedule to keep. Maybe when you and your buddy start your window company you'll see how that works.

Your current employer also has to pay insurance on you, your buddy, your work, their vehicles, etc and they are assuming all the risk in the business and selling the jobs. All you have to do is show up, and I've installed vinyl windows before, $22 is damn good money for how easy that shit is. 

26 minutes ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

I'm at work now. Hard to pass up $34.50/hr and it's only a half day. Also, if I don't work today I'll end up in the weeds next week working 12's to dig myself out. We have a production schedule to keep. Maybe when you and your buddy start your window company you'll see how that works.

Your current employer also has to pay insurance on you, your buddy, your work, their vehicles, etc and they are assuming all the risk in the business and selling the jobs. All you have to do is show up, and I've installed vinyl windows before, $22 is damn good money for how easy that shit is. 

Easy lol.  She thought that too and whines about how much work it is. But 2 other guys are doing the work of 4 and the office work.  No need to work sat.  No glass shop works sat.  Her nor her husband can read a tape measure.  Still dont understand what low e coating is.  Still dont know the names of window parts.

Edited by serpentracer

1 hour ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

I'm at work now. Hard to pass up $34.50/hr and it's only a half day.

Same here for about the same pay, working 5a to 11a and people here are bitching about being here :lol: I'm like "what else you going to do on a shity morning that's snowing?" Be home and shit, shower and shaved by noon and have the rest of the day with a extra couple hundy on my check next week.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, serpentracer said:

My 5 to 6 year plan is to have my own shop up and running.  The people i work for have no idea what theyre doing.  They were sold a franchise and didnt know 1 thing about windows.  Me and my buddy have ran the place.  All they have is money.  We do it all so why make them all the money and we make $22/hr.  Example i installed $2800 worth of work in 8 hrs yesterday.  I get $176.  The material was $500.  They made $2124 in 8 hrs.  Why the hell am i not doing this for myself.   All i need is a van. A website and money for google ad words or whatever its called now

How much goes the the franchise licensing?

3 hours ago, 2talltim said:

Because benefits cost more than overtime. It's more cost effective to pay overtime to associates that are already getting benefits than it would be to hire more people and or add a shift or even expand and add more space.

How much does training new people because people left for lower hours cost?  I've had a few under 40 hr a week jobs (with 40 pay) I didn't like for a long time for that reason

18 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

How much does training new people because people left for lower hours cost?  I've had a few under 40 hr a week jobs (with 40 pay) I didn't like for a long time for that reason

When you're paying 20 plus dollars an hour it's a very low turnover rate. That's usually the comeback the company gives us when we bitch about hours and other things "we pay you well enough don't we". And as much as they are dicks for saying that they're absolutely right where else am I going to go and start making over $20 an hour especially around here with the benefit package that we have which is excellent btw.

Edited by 2talltim

45 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

How much goes the the franchise licensing?

That's the key.  Franchising has some benefits, and gives you a name.  But, most franchises aren't cheap, and will likely have recurring fees that take a bite.

After reading all this, I'm happy to hear you took the job. You can always find another, but one thing is for sure, it is easier to find a job when you have one. 

Back in 09 I spent 9 months in the unemployment line. Worst 9 moths ever. Interviews at least three times a week and nothing. The first place that would give me job was a lawn care company doing door to door sales. I was only there 3 months before something better was offered.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Travisty said:

After reading all this, I'm happy to hear you took the job. You can always find another, but one thing is for sure, it is easier to find a job when you have one. 

Back in 09 I spent 9 months in the unemployment line. Worst 9 moths ever. Interviews at least three times a week and nothing. The first place that would give me job was a lawn care company doing door to door sales. I was only there 3 months before something better was offered.

Yeah, I'm glad I made the move for sure. Definitely better to be employed while job hunting, gives you much more power to bargain for the position. Since being hired I've been contacted by a few more companies and some head hunters...idk if I'll retire from where I'm at but I'll definitely spend some years here.