Considering a job opportunity

Gixxus Christ!

So I've been a union employee at my current company for 11.5 years and in that time I've watched the company shrink. It was announced last October that they will be shutting down a major manufacturing operation that will likely put me out of my current job as a quality inspector. I will have rights to a job I previously held in the carbon disk heat treat plant for about the same money but on a shitty 6 on 2 off rolling week schedule.

Today I interviewed at a company closer to my house for an inspector position. They made it very clear up front that I would be working 55-60 hour weeks, not negotiable. The corporate culture seems to be far superior to where I'm at now, they actively educate and promote from within. The insurance is nowhere near as good or cheap as I have now, but is pretty much as good as I could expect outside of the company I work for now. There are also less paid holidays and I'd be giving up the 3 weeks of vacation I have at my current gig.

I'm currently falling off the fence towards this new opportunity because eventually I'm going to be laid off from my current position.

Being laid off entails a $24k severance package and 6 months of health insurance at my current rate of $13/week plus 6 months unemployment. 

They want me for this job, they made it very clear during the interview. I've been in the market for 4 months now and this is the best I've seen. While I'm eager to explore new opportunities, I am very accustomed to a 40 hr week and honestly, it's a bit terrifying to walk away from where I'm at and start something new. 

So advise me. I must be out of options for good advice if I'm asking you dicks in the middle of winter. 

• Upvote 1

If I were in your shoes and I didn't have multiple opportunities lined up I'd take the job.  Keep looking until you decide that you like the new gig.  At least that way you wouldn't be looking over your shoulder every day waiting to get whacked.  I have been laid off twice. Thankfully I was able to find something comparable quickly,  I still lost sleep.  Severance and unemployment don't go too far when you have a house and a car payment.  Maybe I'm just a chicken shit.

A bit of an edit on the old adage | A bird in the hand | Is worth two on the Bush | image tagged in funny,demotivationals,george bush | made w/ Imgflip demotivational maker

I'll have 60 days notice before I get laid off (WARN act)

The $24k is only if I get laid off. If i quit I get nothing, plus I'm on the hook for about $500 of tuition reimbursement and a grand on my 401k loan. 

I'm not a huge fan of overtime, but don't mind working 10 hr days, which is the minimum there mon-fri. What I don't like is working Saturdays, and right now they're on 6 hr Saturdays. But I'll make nearly $80k a year with bonuses....so vfr1200....

I currently work 55-60 for $80k in a very similar job that you're being offered.  Saturdays suck.  2 weeks vacation, 100% of mine and Katie's insurance premiums paid for and a 401k profit sharing plan.  Its worth it to me but Saturdays still suck. Because we are a small family company, I can work extra during the week and take off early on a Saturday to go ride.  If that couldn't happen, it'd be tough.  What sort of flexibility would you have on your schedule?

7 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

If serious, let me know.

Oh I will for sure. 

30 minutes ago, jacobhawkins said:

I currently work 55-60 for $80k in a very similar job that you're being offered.  Saturdays suck.  2 weeks vacation, 100% of mine and Katie's insurance premiums paid for and a 401k profit sharing plan.  Its worth it to me but Saturdays still suck. Because we are a small family company, I can work extra during the week and take off early on a Saturday to go ride.  If that couldn't happen, it'd be tough.  What sort of flexibility would you have on your schedule?

From what they tell me, the Saturdays would eventually go away when they get staffed u0 enough to complete the workload without it. Their goal is a 50 hr week. I'm going back today where i suspect they'll give me an offer, so I'll ask about things like Dr and dentist visits and maybe being able to take a Saturday off once in a while. 

We are looking for a quality inspector at Vitamix. Not sure where you live but this would be a pretty easy job with probably no overtime. Not sure if it would be at our Olmsted Falls or Strongsville location. But i doubt you would be making 80k either. I can get you more information if interested. 

I'd be tempted to stay there and take the severance. The economy is really good right now at least around here and there are plenty of good jobs available at the moment.   Plus, the older I get the less I like working shit tons of overtime.

And they can shove their Saturday straight up their ass. That's me time.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

wholly smokes, If i could make that kind of coin doing inspections I would happily jump ship out of Engineering to do that. 

If I were in your shoes, I would take the job. I hate being at a place with the fear of losing my spot. Even tho it sounds like they will treat you right if it goes south. The horrible gut feeling every night around the dinner table does not go over well with me. 

The Vacation thing can be fixed, but walking away from 24K would sting a little.

46 minutes ago, ludwb675 said:

We are looking for a quality inspector at Vitamix. Not sure where you live but this would be a pretty easy job with probably no overtime. Not sure if it would be at our Olmsted Falls or Strongsville location. But i doubt you would be making 80k either. I can get you more information if interested. 

I applied there once, took months to get any kind of response back lol.

• Like 1

I work a lot of Saturday especially in the nice weather months almost all of those. 60 and 72 hour weeks are common in the summer months. But my 5 weeks of vacation helps that out. At 60k a year with OT, a good pension and 401k matching and decent health package I'm making the best that I can of it for now. Im currently throwing 15% in my 401k because there will be a day I'm going to walk away from this. That day will be in about 7 to 9 years when my house is paid off, kids are out on their own and I'll have little to no obligations. Way I look at it I'm paying my dues now to be able to enjoy a semi early retirement. The Mrs. has medical career that she absolutely loves and will be the bread winner after that, ill just fine something to do that I also love that will most likely pay a lot less. 

Edited by 2talltim

29 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

I work a lot of Saturday especially in the nice weather months almost all of those. 60 and 72 hour weeks are common in the summer months. But my 5 weeks of vacation helps that out. At 60k a year with OT, a good pension and 401k matching and decent health package I'm making the best that I can of it for now. Im currently throwing 15% in my 401k because there will be a day I'm going to walk away from this. That day will be in about 7 to 9 years when my house is paid off, kids are out on thier own and I'll have little to no obligations. Way I look at it I'm paying my dues now to be able to enjoy a semi early retirement. The Mrs. has medical career that she absolutely loves and will be the bread winner after that, ill just fine something to do that I also love that will most likely pay a lot less. 

I'll bet being the ugly Chippendale pays more than you think

Edited by 2talltim
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ludwb675 said:

I'm down here in Massillon, way too far of a commute. Thanks tho. 

• Beer 1

Well I'm going in Monday for a 2nd interview with some other members of their quality team. Gives me all weekend to mullit over...I'm pretty sure I'm gonna take the job tho. Just gotta pull up my big boy pants and put in the hours. 

• Like 1

Went in today and they gave me an offer. Exact wage I asked for and they offered to start me at 2 weeks vacation instead of the customary 1. I start March 5th and according to my math I'll make $30k more a year than in making now. So.....

Best sport tourer poll thread to follow.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Ok, after a month at the new place I'm happy. It isn't perfect, like every manufacturing company there are issues, but you get that everywhere. The director of ops just announced this week that we had a great first quarter and are on track to beat our sales numbers from last year, which was $109M or something like that. Corporate is so happy they have earmarked $9M for additional machines over the next 2 years and we will also be hiring 15-20 more machinists and support staff. It's amazing to be working somewhere that's growing at this rate.

I'm used to the hours now, and I'm so fucking busy all day that they pretty much fly by. I got my first full 2 week paycheck today and I've never made so much money in my life. I'm starting to get to know our product line better, you wouldn't believe how much goes into making a fucking beer can. It's awesome to watch them test run the presses before they ship them out. A 24 die shelling press running at 700 strokes per minute is pretty cool to see. 24 can top blanks flying out every stroke, so over 240 a second. 

Anyway, thought I'd drop a little update. We got good Friday off so I'm still in bed with the dogs enjoying the chance to be lazy for once. 

• Upvote 1