BS Traffic Stop

Wojo72

My son and I ran to grab some fast food at a local establishment this evening.  On our way home I noticed blue flashing lights in my mirror so I pulled off to the side of the road to let him pass.  Much to my dismay, the state patrol car pulled in right behind me.  I turned on my dome lights and rolled down my windows.  When he came up to the passenger window I handed him my license and my CCW card. I made sure to tell him that I was carrying to avoid the stupid misdemeanor right out of the gate.  I'm a little bit surprised that he didn't even bother to ask me where it was.  He told me that he pulled me over because my license plate light was out but upon closer inspection my (factory) setup was legal.  Then he told me that my plates came back as expired.  I handed him my registration and he walked to the back of the SUV for about 3 minutes.  They weren't.  He blamed it on dispatch.  I think that he was on a fishing expedition.  I drive a 14-year-old SUV so maybe I fit the profile of a cartel drug mule.

Image result for cool story bro meme

I have gotten pulled over like that twice in the past 6 years going through Gahanna on the way home from work.  One time my plate light was actually out.  As long as you didn't get a ticket, ah well, makes for a good internet story.  Not like we have tall tales of 2 wheel heroics and corner conquests to tell this time of year. :)

Only time I've ever been pulled over it was something similar to this in Worcester (shitty Boston), Mass. Was around midnight, I had VT plates, cop said my tail light was out and wanted to check inside the car. He wouldn't let me get out and check that the light was out. After he shined his flashlight around the car a bit he gave me a warning and left. I immediately pulled over and checked my brake/tail lights (that had just been replaced a week or two before this) and they all worked fine. 

Fishing out of state plates for drugs is my guess. If I was black, I'd probably be dead. Yay cops. 

3 hours ago, Wojo72 said:

I was north of Polaris just off of I71. The worst thing that happens there is the occasional shoplifting related incident at the outlet mall. 

Stop driving a shitty vehicle in an upscale neighborhood?

My experience is that it was likely that a search was current, for a vehicle that looks like the one you were driving. Meaning they had only a vehicle description, with no license plate data. They will stop them all, and collect data. Sort of a process of elimination. This can go on for months.

Annoying, but shit happens.  I've gotten stupid tickets before (like no front plate) just because the dude was in a bad mood.  And I've been let go for big smokey burnouts:).  I have a couple friends who are LEO's, and they're great dudes - and of course ride too.

All I know is that I have at least 45 moving violations on my record, and deserved every one considering the 10:1 ratio of getting away with it vs getting busted!

Now than I'm older, I pick my locations a lot better - no more holeshots in the middle of town!

8 hours ago, Rodehard said:

Annoying, but shit happens.  I've gotten stupid tickets before (like no front plate) just because the dude was in a bad mood.  And I've been let go for big smokey burnouts:).  I have a couple friends who are LEO's, and they're great dudes - and of course ride too.

All I know is that I have at least 45 moving violations on my record, and deserved every one considering the 10:1 ratio of getting away with it vs getting busted!

Now than I'm older, I pick my locations a lot better - no more holeshots in the middle of town!

While yes the idea of having a front plate is stupid, the ticket itself is not. You were currently in violation of ORC. Instead of bitching about it maybe you should take the time to write a letter to your legislator asking for clarification on why it’s required and if they could possibly look into removing that portion of the code 

I got stopped one day and the cop told me my car fit the description of one used in an armed robbery down the street... Apparently I didn't match the description so he asked if anyone has borrowed it and then he cut me loose.... Glad I wasn't drinking a beer or smoking a j or something ?... Steph tried telling me if you don't do anything wrong you don't have to worry about getting pulled over... Wrong! 

12 hours ago, zx3vfr said:

While yes the idea of having a front plate is stupid, the ticket itself is not. You were currently in violation of ORC. Instead of bitching about it maybe you should take the time to write a letter to your legislator asking for clarification on why it’s required and if they could possibly look into removing that portion of the code 

Ah..gee thanks for the scolding.

• Haha 1