Stupid Questions, Laser Level Tripods

just_some_dude

This could be considered pretty stupid, so troll away. I recently picked up a Dewalt DW0825LG Laser Level and wanted to get a tripod. I got it to assist me hanging cabinets, but know there are other applications to use around the house. I used it to hang curtain rods this past evening. I had about a 7 1/2' metal rod that I could put it on magnetically, but had to have someone hold the rod. I was thinking of getting a tripod, but when I look at these things I think back to when I was a kid and my father using an old tripod for a VHS camera recorder. I'm not seeing what is making these things so expensive? Even some of the construction ones look just like a simple camera tripod.

What makes a laser level tripod good and what do contractors use when getting up in the 8-10 foot range? What is the benefit of elevating versus standard?

we don't use a tripod, all of our lasers come with a wall mount bracket that you can either screw to the wall, use the magnetic attachment (we frame with metal studs) or attach with a clip type attachment. If you are just doing simple things around the house a camera tripod would work just fine for you.

• Thanks 1

Yeah. Mine has the ability to do that as well. I'm mostly going to use this for home use. May be overkill, but it is normally listed as a $500 laser selling for $250 on Amazon. Maybe the $500 was overpriced ?.

Regardless, I kept looking at all these tripods and thinking that my laser is self leveling, so getting the tripod to be perfectly level is not as important. Only thing that seemed beneficial to me on the tripod was the ability to elevate to get high enough to hang level curtain rods on tall ceilings :). Thanks ;).