Enduro upgrade!

max power

Sold my 91 XR250L last night and went to WV to pick up this 03 DR650SE today.  

Got some things to do to it before the season gets going, but it's a pretty nice unit that doesn't appear to have seen much off road.  Only 4400 miles!

Need tire suggestions cuz these are roached.  Rear isn't terrible but it's 13 years old.   Front is original and cooked. Hard as nails.  

I'm stoked and can't wait to ride the wheels off this thing.  

IMG_5457.JPG

IMG_6173.JPG

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, after road testing, the Suzuki ran like shit.  So here we go again with another carb rebuild.  After doing my research, it is apparent that these come from the factory ridiculously lean.   $100 and a bottle of pine-sol later, it is rebuilt and rejetted with a Dyno jet kit.  All settings are exactly what the dynojet paperwork calls for.

Fires right up with a little choke and idles good. Road testing reveals a major surge and stumble at half throttle. Low speed and wide-open throttle are decent.  

My initial thought say raise the needle, but I did that on the XR250 several times and got increasingly shittier results until I actually lowered the needle. 

About to go off and read up on the adventure bike forums, but do any of our in-house carburetor gurus have any advice?

I had a lot of experimenting with mine. is it the stock or procycle needle? I think there's a rcommended ktm? one, and you can also chuck a stock one in a drill and custom grind it. Mine had an aftermarket exhaust. cold air will make it more lean than usual, changing non-riing day temps will make tuning more of a hassle.

http://drriders.com/bst-magic-stock-carb-mods-dr650-derestriction-inst-t16700.html

http://drriders.com/ktm-needle-mod-t14893.html

16707969179_8d86e0744d_k.jpg

Edited by motocat12
  • Upvote 1

It's a Dynojet needle from their $60 kit. 

Supposedly engineered for that exact bike. Even tells you what to set everything at. Bone stock bike just lean as fuck.

I plan to try dropping the needle one spot tonight and see if that helps. It worked on the XR

3 hours ago, Danimal said:

A few DRs ave shown cracks around where the Swingarm is welded to the pivot assembly. 

Folks have ridden the RTW many times with no issues tho...so grain of salt

From what I have read, you can examine the welds (or have someone do it for you), and nice clean welds are much more likely to be good. Messier welds tend to crack more often.

Though all this does is change the odds. Can still happen either way. Just less likely if a guy who has more experience did them.

On 2/4/2018 at 1:09 AM, max power said:

Sold my 91 XR250L last night and went to WV to pick up this 03 DR650SE today. 

I'm stoked and can't wait to ride the wheels off this thing.  

IMG_6173.JPG

Very Nice Bike, Hope to see you out scratching the adventure back roads with us.

I rented a dr650 down in Townsend, TN. and road the SM500 3day's had a blast.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/17/2018 at 7:08 PM, B-Mac said:

Very Nice Bike, Hope to see you out scratching the adventure back roads with us.

I rented a dr650 down in Townsend, TN. and road the SM500 3day's had a blast.

Hell yeah man!   I'm very green riding two wheels off road but definitely interested in chasing you guys around on the back roads. Read the little XR around gravel roads at the Wayne by myself and had a ball. That's why I wanted to upgrade

On 2/17/2018 at 9:20 PM, Danimal said:

just saw this. 

Haven't asked about the yellow rear fender (yet) as all I have to offer is a showroom clean white one in exchange

And am staying with the low front fender I'm running

I do have the following that you might be interested in though for your DR:

• Acerbis skidplate (new)
  • Stock rear shock (cheap, 62 miles on it)
  • Moose lowering links
  • Procycle seat (made in UK my Saddlemen)
  • Seat Concepts low seat
  • Short kickstand (new, for lowering bike)

Let me know before I end up putting them up for sale on ADV

Yeah Bubby, very interested in the skid plate and the rear shock. This thing is already crazy low. Need someone that knows more about them to tell me if it's already been lowered or if it has too much sag. 

On another note, got the Dyno jet kit kit sorted out last night for the most part. Still needs tweaked. All of my troubles were mostly my lack of reading the instructions completely and not realizing that I can't do a stage one upgrade on the 96 and up DR. Had to go to stage two which involves removing the airbox lid. Something I'm not super comfortable  with since this thing will see some light off road duty and lots of dusty gravel roads.  

Runs like a raped ape on the crystal, but I'm considering going with a different needle and just doing the snorkelectomy. 

DJ 160 Main

Needle on the fourth clip

Screw 2 1/2 out 

these bikes must've fallen out of popularity around 2010 because of all of the carburetor tuning information I can find them on the forums is from that time and earlier. 

Edited by max power

16 minutes ago, max power said:

On another note, got the Dyno jet kit kit sorted out last night for the most part. Still needs tweaked. All of my troubles were mostly my lack of reading the instructions completely and not realizing that I can't do a stage one upgrade on the 96 and up DR. Had to go to stage two which involves removing the airbox lid. Something I'm not super comfortable  with since this thing will see some light off road duty and lots of dusty gravel roads.  

Runs like a raped ape on the crystal, but I'm considering going with a different needle and just doing the snorkelectomy. 

DJ 160 Main

Needle on the fourth clip

Screw 2 1/2 out 

these bikes must've fallen out of popularity around 2010 because of all of the carburetor tuning information I can find them on the forums is from that time and earlier. 

Nah, it's just nothing has changed. At all, since 96. Except colors. Oh and they changed from a paper to regular head gasket in 09.

• 2 weeks later...

Got new tars so I cleaned the motor oil off the chain and sprocket and swingarm etc and mounted the wheels back up last night.  

Kerosene is a damn fine solvent and cleaner.  

Plan to scrub them in tonight if the weather holds.  

IMG_6593.JPG

IMG_6594.JPG

IMG_6595.JPG

Edited by max power
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

HUGE thanks to @Danimal for the hook up on a practically brand new shock and especially for throwing in a bunch of awesome goodies with it.  Totally unexpected and appreciated and to @whaler for trucking them down here for me.

Good bubbys!

IMG_6788.JPG

Edited by max power
Add pic with new seat
  • Beer 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, max power said:

Picking up what appears to be a ridiculously clean, never off roaded Xr650 tomorrow. Super stoked.

Needs a little work, but hopefully  nothing major.  

Pics to follow.  

Nice.   Then you'll be just a supermoto setup away from the funnest cornering ever

3 hours ago, bowdog said:

Damn bubby are you going full dirt moto on us?? what are you doing with the DR?

Blake is calling dibs on it but so is everyone else. He needs to hurry up and sell that cruiser while people have tax money in their hands. 

I plan to repair the Honda and ride them both for a minute and decide which one I like better and sell off the other.

Edited by max power

Blake and I ran up to canton today to pick up this XR I've been chasing for months.  It's even better than I expected but had 2 broke off filter cover bolts and has been sitting for way too long.  Got lucky and backed the bolts  right out.  Drained out the very nasty old gas, cleaned the dirty run switch that was causing some major spark issues and had my first ride before midnight.  It's wicked clean, like brand new and runs great.  Huge thanks to @Pokey for hooking me up with the seller.  imageproxy.php?img=&key=14880859ee2bc21c

IMG_6904.JPG

IMG_7005.JPG

IMG_7008.JPG

IMG_7014.JPG

IMG_7001.JPG

IMG_7004.JPG

IMG_7007.JPG

IMG_7010.JPG

Edited by max power
  • Upvote 1