LCP ll

Steve Butters

So per Google, ruger says no +P because there is no official rating for 380 +P and its for liability... Buffalo Bore claims extensive testing and online forums I see nothing but people who run it fine (even in LCP I)... Well shoot a little to function check it and then leave it in for carrying, but will keep in mind that Ruger doesn't suggest it... Thanks for the heads up, I didn't see anything convincing enough to swap it out for something else... Unless she hates the extra recoil, in which case I'll probably get her gold dots... Won't know until we get out to the range 

All this ammo talk got me Googling my ass off lol... Everybody real world experience says the +P is fine, but I keep reading "better safe than sorry" kind of stuff.... Then I started seeing a lot of debate about just using FNFMJ  ammo in 380 for the penetration.

I don't mind setting the +P ammo aside if it's truly no good, but I keep seeing people say it's all they will carry and then others who act like you'll lose a hand on the first round... It's very confusing 

And then this whole FMJ debate thing is mixed in and people make good arguments for that also. 

About to just leave the FNFMJ rounds in it and call it a day... Then she'd at least be able practicing with what she carries

So.. I'm kinda debating between using the +P rounds I ordered, or just shelving them and leaving it full of the flat nosed rounds 

Thoughts? I've never even fired a 380, I'm a total noob lol 

Edited by Steve Butters

Let's put it this way. I can fire 357 magnum ok, but 38sp +P in a 38 revolver that isn't much lighter is a waste of my time. It shoots way too high and tries to twist out of my hand (one hand shooting). So my impressions of +P isn't real great. On the other hand, I load 45acp to the absolute max, just shy of overpressure & flatten the primer, and I'm completely ok with that. The weight of the pistol / revolver has a lot to do with this. And yeah, the strength of the shooter's grip. (And a in little part the shape and design of the weapon.) So find what ammo works for you and yours, with what you want to carry.

• Upvote 1

On 1/22/2018 at 2:41 PM, Steve Butters said:

All this ammo talk got me Googling my ass off lol... Everybody real world experience says the +P is fine, but I keep reading "better safe than sorry" kind of stuff.... Then I started seeing a lot of debate about just using FNFMJ  ammo in 380 for the penetration.

I don't mind setting the +P ammo aside if it's truly no good, but I keep seeing people say it's all they will carry and then others who act like you'll lose a hand on the first round... It's very confusing 

And then this whole FMJ debate thing is mixed in and people make good arguments for that also. 

About to just leave the FNFMJ rounds in it and call it a day... Then she'd at least be able practicing with what she carries

So.. I'm kinda debating between using the +P rounds I ordered, or just shelving them and leaving it full of the flat nosed rounds 

Thoughts? I've never even fired a 380, I'm a total noob lol 

FMJ "ball" is good enough for the military, so it's good enough for me.  I carry with high quality fmj target ammo.  

IMO, it cycles a bit more reliably than hallow points.

Also, if you ever had to actually fire in self defense, a talented opposing counsel would try to paint you as a gun nut for using high end defense ammo like Black Talons....at least that is what I was told by an internal affairs officer.

11 hours ago, Lawrence1 said:

Why not practice proper form and use both hands?

It's like if you rode around using the rear brake only, in an emergency situation that's what you'll do.

I've practiced one handed, both left and right, several styles, two handed, both left and right, several styles, sideways, upside down (really, who knows if it will fire upside down, I had one cheap pistol toss the slide off doing that, one shot and I was done), and even rolling across the ground. Personal preference is Weaver stance on strong hand. My last training scenario caught me off guard and not ready, used radio as a shield and brace, went nearly prone, and returned fire one handed. A sloppy 4 of 4. It happens. Also prefer point shoot, with a ton of practice, for it's quickness. Practice for me used to be 500 to 600+ 22lr to warm up, maybe 300-400 38sp target reloads, and couple hundred 45acp target reloads. Modified a Colt Commander so it would feed cheap lead semi-wadcutters flawlessly. Don't laugh, those expand to around .75 to .80 inch.

But yeah, practice good form first, which is two hand control. Much more accurate. Just be aware that you might have your other hand busy, and be forced to deal with it. Last range time we were required to draw and return fire weak hand. Don't shoot yourself doing that. And no, I haven't practiced at all lately. I need to chose a few ranges down here in Florida and get busy.

23 hours ago, Lawrence1 said:

Nevermind Rat, I mistook you for a newbie. My bad.

Not a problem. It was a valid question. And no, I don't know everything. Took me 40 years to learn a really good two handed grip.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought the LCP2 about a month ago ($230).   Put about 50 rounds thru it at the range.    So far, not very impressed.    Lot's of stuck casings.    I'm told it needs another 150 rounds to break in, and I probably need to stiffen the wrist.      Trigger seems fine, but I'm also comparing it to a S&W Sigma .40.    

On 1/30/2018 at 12:21 AM, Tpoppa said:

Also, if you ever had to actually fire in self defense, a talented opposing counsel would try to paint you as a gun nut for using high end defense ammo like Black Talons....at least that is what I was told by an internal affairs officer.

This is why I carry the same ammo as some of the police officers I know. Speer Gold-Dot and Federal HST.

4 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

This is why I carry the same ammo as some of the police officers I know. Speer Gold-Dot and Federal HST.

If I ever had reason to defend my actions with a firearm, and I hope that never happens....

If asked what kind of ammo I used, I would say what ever was on sale at Wal Mart. ;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Little thing shoots very nice.. Little snappy, but not bad. We only put 100rd through it and I didn't clean or lube it before hand I just took it out of the box and we shot it. She had 2 FTF. But she also was shooting very awfully at first. It shot fire for me. Not enough rounds through it yet to know if it was her grip or the gun but I'm leaning towards the first. I like it enough I'll be buying a second one for myself for when I'm wearing basketball shorts.. It's so light 

Also... After a few mags and some adjustments she was much better with it... We're gonna get some more trigger time soon but I think it's going to end up being a very accurate little gun for her, much more so than the full size 9mm she's been lugging around (or not)... I'll report back if we run into any more feeding problems once it's cleaned lubed and she's got some more time with it

Liked it so much we grabbed a second! Lol Steph got the extended mag for hers to give her a better grip, I went the opposite way and put the flat baseplate on mine but grabbed a hogue grip... The extension should help her grasp it better when shooting and the hogue will be nice for me to give it less slippery of a feel in my big paws... Surprisingly, the extended mag is only 7rd versus factory 6rd, despite looking much bigger...her whole hand fits on the grip now, mine doesn't fit either way that's why I'm sticking with the flat one to just tuck my pinky under 

101236.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Also if you check one out at the store the mag release and slide catch feel awful... Have to press release to insert mag, slide won't pull and drop have to hit the release... After cycling it a few times at home and shooting Stephs it all broke in and runs smooth... I didn't notice the difference was so extreme until I had a new one and a less new one side by side 

• Upvote 1