LCP ll

Steve Butters

Anybody own an LCP II and have an opinion? Looking for something small that my gf can tuck in her purse or pocket (I know purse carry is not ideal, as does she... But sometimes it's require)... I'm about 95% sold on the LCP ll... The 9mm shield and LC9 are both slightly big for what we're looking for.

Any recommendations for 380 self defense rounds? Same shit good as for bigger calibers like Speer or Federal? Never owned a 380

3750.jpg

6 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Why not the baby glock?

It's a little big for what she's looking for... We looked at the LC9 too

Is the glock that much better than the LCP to have her reconsider? 

I worry about the triggers on glocks too... Every ND I ever see comes from Glock... I know it's all gun safety and user error, but it still sticks out to me. 

Edited by Steve Butters

My choice would be the Hornady FTX or Sig-Sauer V-Crown. read about the choices here:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

I have the LCP I, Beretta Nano, and Beretta Pico. No favorite yet, but the Pico is really tiny, and the Nano is about the smallest 9mm. The Nano also has no safeties and no slide lock, it's a stripped down and rounded corners double action only. Yes, a lot of differences between the LCP I and LCP II. Point would be you can still get either one, and the LCP I has a bargain price. At this point I prefer the older LCP I, without much of any reasons other than I don't like the new trigger. Have heard many people warn about the double-action trigger pull on Rugers. Easy to short stroke the reset for next shot. Apparently no click or good feel that it has reset. Must fully release trigger to be sure. Not really a big deal. Now looking for a S&W 5-shot J-frame 38, because I'm an old fart.

Edited by ReconRat

I go with the hornady for 380. I’ve carried a lot of different guns but.....  After I bought a lcp for my wife I ended up with one myself. I’ve carried a shield, glock, lc9, sig,kahr and always end up back with the lcp. It’s so easy to conceal and I have no concerns with it getting beat up from use. Defiantly not a range toy but more than accurate enough to hit man size targets at a defensive distance. Lots of folks run on the small caliber for an edc but I’m more likely to carry it than anything else because it’s convenient and easy to carry. My 1911 wouldn’t be much help if I needed it and it was in the safe. 

3 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

Pocket 380s tend to be more picky about ammo than just about any other type or firearm.  It's due to the low inertia of the tiny slides.  They are also more prone to user errors, like limp wristing, for the same reason.

Good to know... Maybe I'll find some light snappy rounds like the Barnes copper 

The new LCPII is amazing with the new design, I owned an original for years and was quite fond of it. However.......I got rid of it last Fall for the latest LC9S Pro, and it honestly doesn't carry much bigger than the LCP. But the striker fired LC9 has one of the best factory triggers out there, and it's hard to believe a single stack micro 9 can be such a sweet shooter as it is. So I most certainly recommend that over the LCPII, but a .380 is no slouch with the latest ammo tech. The Walther PPS is an awesome pistol "as are all Walthers", but most certainly not a better pistol over the LC9S in particular for the money.......my opinion of course. ;)

16 hours ago, ReconRat said:

Have heard many people warn about the trigger pull on all Rugers.

The only Ruger I'll buy is a 10/22. I don't care for the triggers on their handguns at all.

Watching my buddy's BNIB (he cleaned and lubed before firing) Ruger ftf and fte with the ammo my glock, my buddy's glock, and my other buddy's MP ate just fine really turned me off to them.

2 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

The only Ruger I'll buy is a 10/22. I don't care for the triggers on their handguns at all.

Watching my buddy's BNIB (he cleaned and lubed before firing) Ruger ftf and fte with the ammo my glock, my buddy's glock, and my other buddy's MP ate just fine really turned me off to them.

Yeah, I edited that to say double-action triggers. My single-action Rugers are quite normal trigger pull.

9 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

Hmmmmm....I take it you haven't shot the latest LC9? Look up Hickock45 on youtube if you're not familiar with him, he is quite the fan of the new LC9 and it's amazing trigger. Ruger makes some of the very best sporting rifles in the industry, and I also love their .22 pistols.

I have the original LCP with a laser. I carry it everywhere. I had a baby glock, and even it was too thick for everyday concealed carry, so I traded it for the LCP. He probably got the better end of the deal, but he's a friend so I don't care.

It's not fun to shoot. And from anything beyond 'I'm getting raped' range, it isn't very accurate either. But what do you expect, it's .380 from a short barrel. That's what this gun is for, up close defense.

• Upvote 1

On 1/17/2018 at 1:52 PM, Tpoppa said:

Pocket 380s tend to be more picky about ammo than just about any other type or firearm.  It's due to the low inertia of the tiny slides.  They are also more prone to user errors, like limp wristing, for the same reason.

I ordered Buffalo Bore Tac-XP 80gr +P

A quick nitpick: "Baby Glock" used to refer to the G26 but now is regularly used to describe the G43.  It may help to be model-specific to avoid confusion...?

I have a G26, G43 and LCP II and find all three to meet different purposes.  The G43 goes with me the most - it tucks in tight with a proper gun belt and IWB kydex holster, carries 7+1 with an extended baseplate that is no longer than the stock finger guard mag, and 9mm is superior in every way over the .380 once you're adjusted to the recoil difference.

The LCP II comes with me for deep concealment in a pocket or when I'm wearing only a t-shirt in the summer.  The trigger and overall build quality of the II is excellent and IMHO better than the 2nd gen LCP I owned and carried for two years, though I'd trust either with my life.  Note that there's been a lot of discussion on message boards about Hornady Critical Defense rounds not opening up like they should, so I've switched to Federal HST based on ballistics studies.  I know some guys like less expansion and more penetration with .380 rounds, but I lean towards the expansion side for cavitation damage.  Maybe just a religious debate at this point - who knows - perhaps akin to the .45 vs. 9mm and heavy vs. velocity wars.  Anyway, the LCP is an excellent pistol, has a really low profile, very good ballistics with modern HP rounds and easy to control as long as you practice with it.  I found my two to be pretty accurate too - certainly enough within a 21' radius.  I probably wouldn't take any headshots with it though...

Finally FWIW, my G26 rarely leaves the house now that I have the G43.  I keep it stacked with a G19 15+1 round mag as a home defense pistol, though I do prefer it for the rare times I can carry OWB for its extra capacity and recoil absorption.  What's also cool is that the G17 and 33-round magazines my Sub-2K take also fit in the G26...

5 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

The G42 is the baby-est Glock

Ah, very good point.  I don't know why I keep forgetting the G42 - maybe because I passed it over for a CM9, then the LCP then the G43.  The G42 certainly is thin and has a nice grip, but dang, it's big by pocket 380 standards.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Steve Butters said:

I ordered Buffalo Bore Tac-XP 80gr +P

I had to look it up... I guess the Buffalo Bore is ok with an LCP II. Ruger did not want it used in the LCP I. Most 380acp won't or can't handle the 380acp +P. Beretta Pico was supposedly designed for 380acp +P. I'd say, that if the recoil spring is so stout you can barely pull the slide back, then yes, it was designed for +P ammo. And no, I haven't tried the 380+P ammo yet, I suppose I should.

So, +P is ok for breaking in firearms that can handle it, and ok for defensive carry, if the felt recoil is acceptable, and you can stay on target. Most of your practice will be with cheaper, lighter, ammo. I've seen light 380s kick harder than a slightly bigger 9mm, using standard ammo. So I'm expecting the little LCP II and Beretta Pico will kick pretty hard, with or without +P ammo.

3 hours ago, ReconRat said:

I had to look it up... I guess the Buffalo Bore is ok with an LCP II. Ruger did not want it used in the LCP I. Most 380acp won't or can't handle the 380acp +P. Beretta Pico was supposedly designed for 380acp +P. I'd say, that if the recoil spring is so stout you can barely pull the slide back, then yes, it was designed for +P ammo. And no, I haven't tried the 380+P ammo yet, I suppose I should.

So, +P is ok for breaking in firearms that can handle it, and ok for defensive carry, if the felt recoil is acceptable, and you can stay on target. Most of your practice will be with cheaper, lighter, ammo. I've seen light 380s kick harder than a slightly bigger 9mm, using standard ammo. So I'm expecting the little LCP II and Beretta Pico will kick pretty hard, with or without +P ammo.

Interesting. Glad you checked for me, lmao I didn't think to check... Just saw someone mention low inertia so figured I'd get the snappiest rounds I know of... I carry Doubletap ammo in my 40 with Barnes tac-xp bullets and they shoot great and performed well in gel when I tested them, I ordered buffalo bore for my 40 too