2018 Winter offseason BS thread

Jester_

In October I traded my ol R6 plus some cash for a 2015 R1.

17862552_10100308245366258_3569155803405951538_n.jpg.c03664bea6c47abf0e371674bfdde9e6.jpg

It was stock aside from and exhaust and tune, but I bought some brake pads, take offs, and body work and headed down by NC Bike to do the trade.

I got the bike at 5 and was at the track by 6 tearing it apart.  20171021_180304.thumb.jpg.ee33be28c0424ade4cbaa26e5b81077e.jpg

I spent the evening swapping tires, and body work. Ended up with a bit of a half and half bike by the end of a late night\early morning. 

20171022_082611.thumb.jpg.d76d53b72557620d1cd5eb8ec0091be0.jpg

20171022_114158.thumb.jpg.807aefa5d4e96ae3cbb7f2a43f343333.jpg

Ended up getting out for the 11am session and rode 4 sessions before I had to pack up. I was there by myself and was on a new to me bike on stock suspension (springs, fluid everything) and needed to get home for work monday morning and it was an 8 hour drive or something like that so I took it pretty easy and left early. Was still able to run some low-mid 30s which is 4 seconds or so off my best on the R6 but I was happy with that for the first time on the bike and getting used to it. 

Plans for the winter for me are send out the stock forks and shock for proper springs and refresh. I bought a bike side flash kit from FTECU as well as an autoblip. Got a different tank shroud which changes the shape of the gas tank a bit and also getting the CCU (integrated gps lap timer from yamaha) and hopefully get the bodywork painted if I have any money left over. Got some clip ons, radiator\oil cooler guards and woodcraft key eliminator and driven gas cap setup today from @RidersDiscount . There are probably some things I am missing, but doing the basics to turn it into a track bike. 

Pumped to learn this bike this next year, its going to be a big adjustment. 

5a5e97c719d9f_Morning(879).thumb.jpg.3ac1ffba464749493cbc06ebf6fcbcdb.jpg

Edited by Jester_
  • Beer 1
  • Upvote 3

Yes finally! Another liter, and now I can see when you start braking and when you start trailing off the brake and getting on the gas with that new fancy R1 dash. I'll be as fast as Dan in no time! :lol:

I was kidding. I'm a turtle. 

Edited by TimTheAzn

Ya the oem quickshifter is very smooth. 

When I put the dash on race mode you cant see that stuff haha. But you can connect to the bike woth bluetooth and pull some data of you want. We just need you up in A. 

Edited by Jester_
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Jester_ said:

Ya the oem quickshifter is very smooth. 

When I put the dash on race mode you cant see that stuff haha. But you can connect to the bike woth bluetooth and pull some data of you want. We just need you up in A. 

Not going to worry about it this year as much as it is in the back of my mind. Finding a good body position on this bike is my first priority this year as I spent lots of time last year wondering what my lean angle was, and not knowing that effected a bunch of other things. Got wore out a bunch just trying to hang onto the thing while leaned over, I wasn't light on the bars which effected my steering inputs mid-corner. I'm also going to bump my steering dampener way up. The way I had it sent, I may as well not have had one, when I go the bike back from letting Brandon ride it, I think he bumped it up a bunch and I'm thinking it may help smooth out those intentional and unintentional mid-corner bar inputs.

image.png.86b3206c7bbad9f84a04c0b8b2aec0aa.png

Like this, lower body wise. I know I'm crossed up up top, I'm working on it as you can see in the first pic.

summit daytona.jpg

Edited by TimTheAzn

For sure dont focus on the bump just practice the fundamentals. You will probably make up more time worrying more about brake and throttle inputs than body position but thats important as well. I didn't know your damper was set low

Edited by Jester_

25 minutes ago, Jester_ said:

For sure dont focus on the bump just practice the fundamentals. You will probably make up more time worrying more about brake and throttle inputs than body position but thats important as well. I didn't know your damper was set low

I could move my bars with one finger pretty easily. I'm excited to make that change because I feel it will help me loosen up on the bars a bit.

I gotta get good at the liter fundamentals, Brake, point, shoot :lol:

14 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

I could move my bars with one finger pretty easily. I'm excited to make that change because I feel it will help me loosen up on the bars a bit.

I gotta get good at the liter fundamentals, Brake, point, shoot :lol:

You and me both. I think once I get used to the power I could do some damage on this thing. 

• Beer 1

11 minutes ago, jacobhawkins said:

What were you running at mid ohio last year?

Intermediate with a chance of some Advanced riders getting the OK to come tow me around.:lol: I was aboard the struggle bus all last year switching to a newer literbike. 3 seconds off the pace I was running on the daytona at Mid-Ohio. Ron towed me to a 1:53 last year. Control rider said we were running consistent 1:50's when I got bumped to I the year before. I'll gain a good portion of that back when I sack up and hold it WFO through the kink.

Edited by TimTheAzn

4 minutes ago, MidgetTodd said:

Right! ?

I stay in I and race in N because bragging rights and trophies are life. What group you got them in is irrelevant ?

Yea but did you win your mock race? 

18 minutes ago, Jester_ said:

You and me both. I think once I get used to the power I could do some damage on this thing. 

I'm legit sad for Ron, Bill, Craig, and Brandon. No chance now unless Ron, Craig and Brandon upgrade, and Bill gets 10 years younger. 

Edited by TimTheAzn

40 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Intermediate with a chance of some Advanced riders getting the OK to come tow me around.:lol: I was aboard the struggle bus all last year switching to a newer literbike. 3 seconds off the pace I was running on the daytona at Mid-Ohio. Ron towed me to a 1:53 last year. Control rider said we were running consistent 1:50's when I got bumped to I the year before. I'll gain a good portion of that back when I sack up and hold it WFO through the kink.

And here I am going WOT through kink and wishing I had more >.>  stupid fatness. 

New strategy for you Tim, gain 100lbs. You'll never have to worry about the front end again. 

Edited by what

1 minute ago, what said:

And here I am going WOT through kink and wishing I had more >.>  stupid fatness. 

New strategy for you Tim, gain 100lbs. You'll never have to worry about the front end again. 

I mean.... your on a 1000, but its a honda..... :lol: You should take the gsxr out for a few laps, see how it compares.

Edit: just dont wreck it, she has a shiny new body on her now.

Edited by TimTheAzn

2 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

I'm also going to bump my steering dampener way up.

Watch yourself in pits once you do that. I about dropped my bike last year cause i forgot i bumped it up. Went to turn and the wheel didn't turn. Haha.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ludwb675 said:

Watch yourself in pits once you do that. I about dropped my bike last year cause i forgot i bumped it up. Went to turn and the wheel didn't turn. Haha.

I went to push mine around after Brandon had his way with her and I was like, great wtf is wrong with it now!? Quickly realized what happened.

32 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

I mean.... your on a 1000, but its a honda..... :lol: You should take the gsxr out for a few laps, see how it compares.

Edit: just dont wreck it, she has a shiny new body on her now.

Maybe. The suspension settings will be all kinds of jacked up for me though even if I do get to my 260 target by spring. That said, I'm down 15lbs over the last 2.5 weeks so... goals?

Edited by what

I will have no problem with that kink at mid O.  Pirc T15 and T16 are gonna take some balls to get through fast on this thing. I seemed to do well there on the r6 even with the rear chipping away out of 15. Just hold it wide open from the exit of 14 and dont let off until you start to exit 16. 

The entrance to 3 is going to take some adjustment at mid ohio. 

Edited by Jester_

1 hour ago, TimTheAzn said:

Yea but did you win your mock race? 

I'm legit sad for Ron, Bill, Craig, and Brandon. No chance now unless Ron, Craig and Brandon upgrade, and Bill gets 10 years younger. 

I am going to put it in rain mode from time to time to screw around with everyone. 

8 minutes ago, Jester_ said:

Yellow plater for lyfe right here

If you attended races with consistency that wouldnt last long.

Just now, Jester_ said:

I am going to put it in rain mode from time to time to screw around with everyone. 

:thefinger:

Edited by TimTheAzn