Still got your first bike?

Rodehard

I still have my 1969 Z50, given to me in '75 for my 10th birthday.  Best present ever.  Post up your first bike pics if you can!

I was going to restore it, but the parts cost about $1500.  The poor thing is whipped, after I outgrew it my brother learned to ride on it, and seemingly every part needs replaced.

z50.jpg

• Upvote 2

I've still got my '87 ex500.  I've been slowly tearing it apart and plan to powder coat the frame and personalize the bike a bit. It's been put down quite a bit and it's pretty messed up, but fixable. 

I've had it since 2009 when I started riding. 

FB_IMG_1516072306827.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TimTheAzn said:

Nope that thing is long gone. Good riddance too, lots of close calls and dumb riding on that thing. #whoelsehadaliterasafirstbike?

Also had a liter bike as a first bike, also glad it's gone, but a late 1980s liter bike isn't the same as what they're cranking out now.

1 hour ago, Trackbikez said:

Also had a liter bike as a first bike, also glad it's gone, but a late 1980s liter bike isn't the same as what they're cranking out now.

04 1000rr :dunno: I'd probably think it doesn't have any balls now but back then whew!

3 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

Nope that thing is long gone. Good riddance too, lots of close calls and dumb riding on that thing. #whoelsehadaliterasafirstbike?

It wasn't a liter, but I only had the F4i for 3 months before I traded it for a 929RR. I REALLY miss that bike....

Just now, thompsonian said:

It wasn't a liter, but I only had the F4i for 3 months before I traded it for a 929RR. I REALLY miss that bike....

I put down a LOT of my early riding on my friend's 2006 f4i. I learned a bunch on that bike. It was a nice ride! As fast as a 05 600rr I found out. Well, at least my when my buddy was riding the 600rr.

12 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

The first streetbike I actually owned was an old XS1100.  Definitely not a sport bike, but hey - its a liter+!  I rode and occasionally raced off road, and borrowed buddies street bikes until I was nearly 30.

I only had the XS11 for a summer, then bought a 4yr old ZX11.  Much better:) 

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 7:45 PM, Rodehard said:

I still have my 1969 Z50, given to me in '75 for my 10th birthday.  Best present ever.  Post up your first bike pics if you can!

I was going to restore it, but the parts cost about $1500.  The poor thing is whipped, after I outgrew it my brother learned to ride on it, and seemingly every part needs replaced.

z50.jpg

I had a z50 of the same color & probably the same year when I was a lad.  It was great fun.  I do remember getting the rear portion of the frame welded up on a regular basis due to the jumps & lack of rear suspension.  I had my heart set on something with a 5 HP Tecumseh engine on it at the time, but  I think my dad got the Z50 for me because it was only 2 HP. The 3 speed transmission was a big plus for  a rider in training though.  Pretty durable little bike.  Kudos for still having yours, 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, jschaf said:

I had a z50 of the same color & probably the same year when I was a lad.  It was great fun.  I do remember getting the rear portion of the frame welded up on a regular basis due to the jumps & lack of rear suspension.  I had my heart set on something with a 5 HP Tecumseh engine on it at the time, but  I think my dad got the Z50 for me because it was only 2 HP. The 3 speed transmission was a big plus for  a rider in training though.  Pretty durable little bike.  Kudos for still having yours, 

Yes, I (we) had the same issues with the frame cracking - poor thing was broken and welded over and over.  In fact, the frame is still cracked in multiple places!

So many good memories with that little machine:)

On 1/15/2018 at 7:45 PM, Rodehard said:

z50.jpg

That is so badass!   Same 1st bike I got when I was 7.   Would kill to still have it.  I would clean it up and put it on display.  I'd figure out a way to hang it on the wall or park it in the corner of the living room, duct taped seat and all!

Edited by max power
  • Like 1