Sena Speaker Upgrades?

Wojo72

A bunch of my regular rider friends have 10S and 20S units (I have a 20S set) and none of us have found a good alternative to the factory speakers other than using earbuds like you mention.  Craig is the only one of the group that went with earbuds and he loves them in part because audio quality for music is so much better.  He deals with the wires by plugging and unplugging them before moving the helmet.

Short of that, you can try moving the speakers around to point straight into your ears.  Some helmet ear cutouts don't line up with my ears very well (Scorpion Exo-950 included) so I usually have to try-fit them into place several times and even carve out the foam for one HJC helmet.  It helped quite a bit.

3 hours ago, smccrory said:

A bunch of my regular rider friends have 10S and 20S units (I have a 20S set) and none of us have found a good alternative to the factory speakers other than using earbuds like you mention.  Craig is the only one of the group that went with earbuds and he loves them in part because audio quality for music is so much better.  He deals with the wires by plugging and unplugging them before moving the helmet.

Short of that, you can try moving the speakers around to point straight into your ears.  Some helmet ear cutouts don't line up with my ears very well (Scorpion Exo-950 included) so I usually have to try-fit them into place several times and even carve out the foam for one HJC helmet.  It helped quite a bit.

I've played with speaker location some but when I get out at highway speeds I the speakers are hard to hear.  I also tried using earplugs to filter out some of the wind noise.  I fear that earbuds are the answer but I don't want to deal with the wires.  :)

I wear earplugs when I ride. Can’t stand wind noise. I’ve always tried hard to protect my hearing.

When I got my Sena, I noticed that I couldn’t get the speakers loud enough to be heard over the ear plugs. And I wasn’t willing to ride without them.

So I picked up a pair of solid earbuds with the sound isolating foam that expands in the ear canal, and ran the headphone wiring inside the helmet to the attached Sena earphone jack. So the left earbud comes out of the helmet on the left side and vise versa. When I put the helmet on, I place it on top of my head, insert the earbuds in my ears, and then slide the helmet the rest of the way down. I never notice the wires.

So now I get noise isolation and can hear the Sena perfectly.

A decent, cheap earbud I can recommend is the JVC Marshmallows. And personally, I’d buy extra foam tips off of Amazon. I go through probably 10 pair of foam tips a riding season. To me, this is the best solution.

Edited by Blitz

My smh10 gets loud enough for me to hear it with ear plugs in albeit its almost near max volume and when I put my helmet on for a 5 minute ride and don't wear plugs it can be startling. I'll be looking into other options soon as my street helmet is close to being expired and I don't want a bulky device on my next one.