Need a cheap 3rd row'er

flashesbuck

On 1/9/2018 at 2:08 PM, zx3vfr said:

VW Atlas dude. Don’t fuck with that GM shit quality. 

that's the most ironic thing I've seen on this forum.  VW are notoriously junk.  my buddy owns a used car lot.  I used to go to auctions with him.  the VW's almost always had some kind of loud clacking from the motor and rarely sold unless it was to the public.  dealers wouldn't touch em.

Edited by serpentracer
  • Upvote 1

I agree with Tim. I own two Chevy trucks and a car and they've all been good to me.

A decade ago my Brother and I each bought new trucks, he bought a Tacoma and I bought a Silverado. He tried to feed my some crap that "Toyota's don't break down", I laughed and told him they all break down. When he started having troubles I reminded him of what he said and he modified it to "well, not as much". While I've worked on the abs, a brake line and replaced the clutch he's had one expensive problem after another. He had the model that they replaced the frame on too. LOL He now has a Chevy. 

This morning I pulled my 93 full size Blazer out of the garage to go in town and shovel out my Mother. Damn thing is a beast as you can see. Like a rock!

0113181615a.jpg

with few exceptions, American cars have become unimaginative econo-appliances that people used to rag on the Japanese cars for being.  Many are boring or straight up horrible to drive.

i do love my f150 though.  No doubt, there’s a big gap between American trucks vs the rest.  Although I hear Mercedes has an x class truck now? Lol horrible. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, serpentracer said:

that's the most ironic thing I've seen on this forum.  VW are notoriously junk.  my buddy owns a used car lot.  I used to go to auctions with him.  the VW's almost always had some kind of loud clacking from the motor and rarely sold unless it was to the public.  dealers wouldn't touch em.

6 year 70k warranty on 2018s. VW is stepping up the game. 

2 hours ago, zx3vfr said:

6 year 70k warranty on 2018s. VW is stepping up the game. 

If the new ones are anything like the 2001 gti that I had, you would need every bit of that new warranty.  I had that car back to the shop 18 times in 5 years for warranty work.  Sold it when the warranty was up and bought a 2006 Mustang, that car was only in the shop 1 time in the 6 years I had it.  Everybodies individual results may vary but I'm sticking with US made for the next few.

• Upvote 1

VW are fine as long as it's still under warranty. I wouldn't buy a used one. Though the one I sold this spring was in pretty good shape for a 2002, only 82k miles and we bought it new. The exhaust was the biggest problem, I had to have it replaced 4 times... it kept rusting apart. It was pretty reliable overall. Had to have it towed once because it sat for 2 months and the coils somehow went bad in that time but that's it. 

Edited by what

• 4 weeks later...

Coworker picked up a 2017 - 7 seater sorrento for in the low 20s. It's a nice enough rig and I trust Kia over GM or VW.  

If you really want a bargain, but I advise keeping it under warranty, but I havnt seen a lot of horror stories on new ones ... The Dodge Journey is a 7 seater and you can get those gently used for mid teens or almost loaded new near 20 / low 20s.  They also have a ton of hidden storage cubbies for kids and built in booster seats! Who knew!

Edited by mike884

On 2/7/2018 at 1:15 AM, mike884 said:

Coworker picked up a 2017 - 7 seater sorrento for in the low 20s. It's a nice enough rig and I trust Kia over GM or VW.  

If you really want a bargain, but I advise keeping it under warranty, but I havnt seen a lot of horror stories on new ones ... The Dodge Journey is a 7 seater and you can get those gently used for mid teens or almost loaded new near 20 / low 20s.  They also have a ton of hidden storage cubbies for kids and built in booster seats! Who knew!

We ended up leasing a Sorento , it's nice, checked all the boxes. It's a 3 year deal. Wife is already pissed at the remote start, other than that, it's an ok people mover. I agree on you with not keeping it past warranty. 

The journey was a definite no go, I didn't even fit in the back seat. And no Android Auto. 

Edited by flashesbuck

On 2/8/2018 at 1:36 PM, redkow97 said:

Our family hauler is a 2016 Sorento.  We have the mid trim level.  I wanted cooled seats and the nicer stereo, but I wanted the third row seating and AWD more.

We have the 3.3 V6, and it is awesome. 

So we have an LX, is that what you have? Does it have factory remote start? They added the OEM Kia remote start and we are not happy with the way it works. 

On 2/10/2018 at 4:53 PM, flashesbuck said:

So we have an LX, is that what you have? Does it have factory remote start? They added the OEM Kia remote start and we are not happy with the way it works. 

I honestly don't remember.  We may have the 'base' trim package with the nicer mechanical options.  No remote start on ours.  It's my wife's car, so it's in the garage every night.  My car gets pushed outside if i have any kind of project going on. 

We looked at two models at approximately the same price.  One had leather and the nice stereo (the top trim level), but lacked third row seating and AWD.  The one we bought has cloth seats, a real key (not just a fob and push-button), no sub-woofer, but it has 3rd row seating and AWD.  Both had the V6, I believe.  The model with leather had higher mileage as well. 

We bought the dealer demo, and paid a little extra to extend the factory warranty so that it covers 100,000 miles from our purchase date.  We knew the salesman, so the warranty cost us almost nothing...