Trials Riding?

smccrory

It's a very long shot, but does anyone here ride a Trials bike or have friends who do, particularly in the Central Ohio area?  I'm finding myself a bit bike-curious, but it doesn't seem like there are any Central Ohio clubs, or even riders with nearby places to practice.

Don't know what Trials is?  Here's a taste of the extreme versions:

Though I just want to practice this kind of stuff to develop enduro skills:

2 hours ago, Uncle Punk said:

http://trialsinc.org/?trigger=hof

I have a 2003 trials bike that hasn't been ridden in almost five years that I could let go.

Interesting!  I’m not generally into clubs or competitions but they can teach one a lot.  What make and model?

2 hours ago, Uncle Punk said:

Pleasure doing business with you. Be safe and have fun enjoying your new to you bike.

Thank you too UP!  It was great meeting you in person, and thanks for indulging my interest in the shop and how stuff is designed and made there.  It's weird but all the smells of old and new equipment, oils and steel make me feel oddly at home, which I think has something to do with my grandpa Smith's and his brother's shops when I was a kid.  Funny how stuff like that works on the brain.

I hope we get a chance to ride in the near future - I want to see that new bike you just bought :-).

@CBBaron yep, she's in my garage drying off as we speak, with plans to go through the mechanical basics this weekend!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Wojo72 said:

I dare you to ride that one to work!   :lol:

I can't!  Not street legal, but if Steve will look the other way, I'll be happy to ride around the garage and dip into the woods area :-D

11 hours ago, smccrory said:

I can't!  Not street legal, but if Steve will look the other way, I'll be happy to ride around the garage and dip into the woods area :-D

From what I understand it is pretty easy to plate a bike in OH. Though a trials bike might not qualify because of lack of seat. :D

I would have to carry gas to ride that to work myself :lol: 

Riding it to work would be difficult.

The bad:

1 The gearing would have to be changed to keep up with traffic.

2 Need to take your foot off of the peg to change gears, which would have to happen often.

3 The tires are magic off pavement and like riding on marbles on pavement.

4 The range of the gas tank is about the size of a push lawnmower.

The good:

1 Everything would be an obstacle that needs to be ran over. Filtering would mean driving OVER traffic instead of between it.

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, alansz400 said:

Don't own it just using a friends bike. The boys rode 110s last night it wasn't muddy at all. Sounds like that might change tonight. 

Just as things were starting to dry out too.  This time of year around here is frustrating.

• 1 year later...

I would like to put this thread back on topic.  I live in Northwest Ohio and about to pick up a new (to me) trials bike.  Like others I am looking for people  to ride with and places to ride.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.