New member for 2018 - Happy New Year gang

Rodehard

Hi All,

Been lurking for a few years, looks like you guys have some great fun, and some great rides together.

1AM on NYE, and I'm joining an online motorcycle forum - I'm such a party animal!

A little about myself:  so far still married :), 3 kids, with our oldest currently in in-home hospice after 4+ years of fighting cancer - she's a tough girl.  I'm 52, been riding since I was 10 on and off road, sometimes on purpose.  My street bikes have all been sport bikes (CBR, ZX-11, ZZR1200), except for the beemer I bought a few years ago.  It's for sale, great bike but sooooo slow.  The new to me KTM SDR is the best bike I've ever owned.  Love that thing, wheelies at will.

Look forward to this year's riding season, and hope to do some track days at MO, plus a lot of SEO rides.

See ya around!

Mark

1 hour ago, jacobhawkins said:

Super Duke, huh?  @jschaf

Welcome, Mark!

Thanks for the welcome's guys.

Found the Duke on craigslist - the 20-something original owner lowsided it on the dragon tail, some roadrash on the LH motor cover and some other minor bits but otherwise like a new bike, except less than half the money!

• Beer 2

Greetings Mark.

Sorry to hear about your little girl, that has to be hard. Having three kids myself my New Years Eve was spent just like yours. 

I was born and raised in south east Ohio, near the river, and am very familiar with the lay land. Perhaps I will organize a ride down there this summer. 

Jeremy

9 hours ago, JR_ider said:

Greetings Mark.

Sorry to hear about your little girl, that has to be hard. Having three kids myself my New Years Eve was spent just like yours. 

I was born and raised in south east Ohio, near the river, and am very familiar with the lay land. Perhaps I will organize a ride down there this summer. 

Jeremy

Sounds great Jeremy.  Myself and friends have had a few good weekends in SEO over the years. We usually grab a hotel in Marrietta for "home base", take off in the morning, ride all day, eat at bob evens, grab beer at the gas station, and spend the evenings standing around the bikes in the hotel parking lot telling lies about how fast we are.

And yes, this battle our girl has been fighting has been sooo hard.  She is lying in her hospice bed right now, right next to my "Dad chair", sleeping.  I have to keep looking to make sure she is still breathing.  So freaking sad.

But, we have learned how truly great people are - we have been helped by so many folks during this time, bringing us meals during rough times, even donating money so we can keep the heat on while my wife is off work.  There ARE good people in this world, country, state, town - despite what is seen on the news every night.

Thanks for the greeting, and look forward to riding with you and others on the forum this summer!

• Beer 2

Sorry man I can’t even imagine...we’ll keep y’all in our prayers.  

That SuperDuke is a sweet bike. I was really close to getting a 990 a few years back but went with a speed triple instead. My little brother is learning to ride and purchased the little 390 Duke. I went with him to pick it up and was checking out the 1290 while I was there. It’s an impressive machine. KTM builds fantastic motorcycles IMO.

• Beer 1

6 hours ago, Helmutt said:

Welcome to the forum.  You'll find there's a lot of "good people" here too.  Test rode a '16 SDR a couple seasons back, and it's a beast.....but my eyes are truly beset on the SDGT.....someday

mmmmm....The SDGT.  I wanted one so bad, but $20k+ for a bike will never happen in my lifetime!  This SDR craigslist find was a stroke of luck - damaged enough to devalue it significantly, but nothing truly important was hurt.

I've become a naked bike convert, if only because every faired bike I've owned created one problem or another.  The airflow off the screens is either loud, turbulent, blocks cooling air in the summer, doesn't block enough in the cold, or all of the above.  Nice to hide behind in a downpour on I75, but otherwise windscreens are not so awesome.  I still have a few screens lying around from old bikes.

On the naked SDR, the air flow is smooth and quiet.  There's just a lot of it, all the time.  I can do 75mph on the highway all day, but admittedly it took a while for me to get used to the wind pressure, and then It was good.  80mph continuously for about an hour is all I can take, then need to slow down.  Downside to going naked is I have to wear or carry more gear - it's surprisingly cold on the highway with ambient temps below 70.

The heat off the radiator/engine is easily tolerated or avoided, the frame doesn't get hot, no hand numbing buzz in the bars, plenty of leg room (I'm 6'1" 190lb nekid), comfy riding position, all make the SDR the magical unicorn of bikes I've always wanted.

I did have to add some foam to the stock seat, now my butt lasts thru a tank of gas.  The stock seat was only good for about 1.5hr then I needed to stop.  The ergo seat was good for about 2hrs before my underside started burning.

And now I'm rambling...

Thanks for the welcome!

• Beer 1

23 minutes ago, Rodehard said:

mmmmm....The SDGT.  I wanted one so bad, but $20k+ for a bike will never happen in my lifetime!  This SDR craigslist find was a stroke of luck - damaged enough to devalue it significantly, but nothing truly important was hurt.

I've become a naked bike convert, if only because every faired bike I've owned created one problem or another.  The airflow off the screens is either loud, turbulent, blocks cooling air in the summer, doesn't block enough in the cold, or all of the above.  Nice to hide behind in a downpour on I75, but otherwise windscreens are not so awesome.  I still have a few screens lying around from old bikes.

On the naked SDR, the air flow is smooth and quiet.  There's just a lot of it, all the time.  I can do 75mph on the highway all day, but admittedly it took a while for me to get used to the wind pressure, and then It was good.  80mph continuously for about an hour is all I can take, then need to slow down.  Downside to going naked is I have to wear or carry more gear - it's surprisingly cold on the highway with ambient temps below 70.

The heat off the radiator/engine is easily tolerated or avoided, the frame doesn't get hot, no hand numbing buzz in the bars, plenty of leg room (I'm 6'1" 190lb nekid), comfy riding position, all make the SDR the magical unicorn of bikes I've always wanted.

I did have to add some foam to the stock seat, now my butt lasts thru a tank of gas.  The stock seat was only good for about 1.5hr then I needed to stop.  The ergo seat was good for about 2hrs before my underside started burning.

And now I'm rambling...

Thanks for the welcome!

Agreed on the $20k pricetag, but hopefully there will be some sort of used market availability at some point, but only a few have sold anywhere close to my area, so pickins may prove slim overall.  Wish this years AIM Expo had the GT available for demo rides, but best I got was a few minutes of static seat time.  Position was comfy and similar to that of the SD, but the wind protection would've been nice to personally judge.  Read some torn reviews where some could feel improvements over the naked, and others were perplexed why KTM even put the adjustable screen on with how little it did.  

But I do love that grunty twin mill, plenty of torque down low to get you places in a hurry without having to wring it up into the revs all day...and that was standard map mode I rode in, so the sport mapping surely would've been more fun.

Oh, and post some pics of that big brute

Edited by Helmutt

2 minutes ago, Helmutt said:

Oh, and post some pics of that big brute

I'll get on it.  Got some pics on my other computer, just need to do it.

That motor.......man that thing ROCKS!  Just starting it up makes me want to have sex with it.  Wait, is that weird?

3rd gear 65mph roll on power wheelies - never even getting close to WOT.  4th gear roll on wheelies at 75mph.  The thing will wheelie, and carry the wheel, shifting into 5th.  All done in street mode, with traction/wheelie control off.  Sport mode just makes the throttle jerkier in my opinion.

But, you can puts around like an old man if you want, the motor doesn't care.  Love it.

Keep trolling CL, I've seen a few other SDR's on there.  An SDGT has to turn up eventually.  Touring on the SDR is not an issue, KTM makes great semi-hard side and tail bags for it - not BMW RT capacity bags of course, but enough for 1 for a weeks trip.  Skip the tank bag, it sucks.

3 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

Welcome (yea, I know its late, get over it.) :guitar:

Uh..thanks!  Maybe you could change your ID to TimTheLate:)

found another pic from my only outing to SEO last summer.  Some nice riverside park north of McConnelsville.

IMG_0876.JPG