What’s your go to gear for a road trip

Killer_kaw

13 hours ago, 2talltim said:

All these jackets and pants with the removable liners and layer in a perfect word sound great. But my issue with them is I don't like to stop and you know how it usually works out. Your rolling along it looks like rain so your like do i stop? Can I make it to the next gas station before it rains? Maybe I should have put the liner in the last stop...No, it was too hot and I'd be sweating balls right now. So you think you can make it a while longer so you don't stop. Then it starts to rain but you think, "i'm only 2 miles from where I was going to stop". So you roll, then i begins to pour. Now you soaked already so your like "fuck it. i'm already wet" Then you have the thoughts of "If i'm not going to use it, why the fuck did i buy this jacket with the liners?"Or the story goes the other way, you did stop on the side of the road to put in the liner but it didn't rain. But now your wet anyway from sweating balls because most zip out liners are not breathable. 

That's why I say even though it might be a tad warmer on hot days the built in non removable breathable liners are the way to go. Gortex is usually the best but the off brand stuff works pretty damn good too. When I'm rolling and it starts to rain usually only have to reach over and zip closed a couple of shoulder and or chest vents. If it's really hot and i'm rocking my mesh I don't even care if it rains. I always have a fast drying shirt on underneath and it's very refreshing on a hot summer day, it will dry in no time. 

Yep, and double yep.  No one has invented that perfect easy on/off, selectively air conditioned or heated, fully waterproof or open air, ultimate riding gear.  I wish "they" would hurry up and do it!

Cross country riding in the hot summer, in and out of cold rain storms crossing mountains, make for a grueling day in the saddle.  Baking hot to wet and freezing and back, several times in a day can suck.  But we do it anyways :).

15 hours ago, 2talltim said:

You're rolling along it looks like rain so your like do i stop? Can I make it to the next gas station before it rains? Maybe I should have put the liner in the last stop...No, it was too hot and I'd be sweating balls right now. So you think you can make it a while longer so you don't stop. Then it starts to rain but you think, "i'm only 2 miles from where I was going to stop". So you roll, then i begins to pour. Now you soaked already so your like "fuck it. i'm already wet" Then you have the thoughts of "If i'm not going to use it, why the fuck did i buy this jacket with the liners?"Or the story goes the other way, you did stop on the side of the road to put in the liner but it didn't rain. But now your wet anyway from sweating balls because most zip out liners are not breathable. 

get weather radar on a phone mount and don't trust your subconscious weatherman.

I like my water proofing on the outside and cheap frog togs.

19 hours ago, motocat12 said:

get weather radar on a phone mount and don't trust your subconscious weatherman.

I like my water proofing on the outside and cheap frog togs.

I have found the Coleman version of Frog Togs to be much better. More forgiving, and just all around better. But this may be just me

• Beer 1

• 3 months later...

Little update. I ran across a hell of a deal on Icon Raiden DKR jacket and pants. Waterproof, vented,D30 armor. Waterproof is baked into the shell so no liners to fool with except the thermal. Nice stuff. It was 39 degrees the day I finished my suspension mods on the Connie and I was out about an hour comfortably. Yesterday it hit 80 degrees and with the vents open it was comfortable. Not cool but comfortable. The Connie blocks a lot of wind and vents in the jacket. It all folds up nicely into one saddle bag.  For less than $300 I’m very happy. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/6/2018 at 7:05 PM, Rodehard said:

Holy crap, almost $1000 for a jacket?

http://canyonchasers.net/reviews/gear/klim-badlands.php

Klim gear is great. Lots of protection, good venting and 100% waterproof. I have the Latitude jacket and pants a couple years ago I left Gettysburg in the rain headed for Ohio when I got to Pittsburgh it was raining so hard cars on the highway had pulled over. When I got home I was 90% dry. My gloves leaked and some water went up my sleeve, and some water came in around my neck. My chest and balls were both dry. I have owned 3 other sets of waterproof gear and none have been ever close to as good as the Klim. 

I have a tour master rain suit. Fits into a little ouch about 8”x4”x2”. Saves my ass coming home from Indy GP twice. It was fairly inexpensive too. 

Normal jacket and over pants  

I also like like compression socks especially since your confined with your movement for 2 hours at a time and can prevent a dangerous blood clot from forming. 

I would also keep 2 pairs of gloves 1 waterproof another highly breathable. 

As far as street clothes I had 2 pairs of “riding” jeans for around town and my jacket I had a zip up hoodie that if it was cool could easily be worn under the riding jacket and I’d just slip the loop on it with the helmet and lock it to the bike. 

I did wear my track boots for regular riding and had a riding shoe for around town as well that wasn’t too bad for walking around.