Nitrous. For bikes, cars, etc.

redkow97

I understand the basics of nitrous.  I also understand that a 'dry' kit causes the engine to run lean, and can damage things.  That said, I am curious as to how much abuse well-built engines can take.

Is a 'dry' kit certain death with moderate use?   Like, could I buy a shitty EX250 or EX500 and get away with the occasional small shot of nitrous?  a 15 hp shot, maybe?  even 10 would be significant on a lower horsepower bike.  Is nitrous expensive to fill?

"wet" kits seem to be substantially more expensive and involved, but obviously have a reduced risk of leaning out, and breaking things.  Would i be utterly stupid to put a wet kit on my corolla, assuming I have another car in the garage already as its replacement?  Would the 1.8 liter toyota I-4 tolerate a 50-shot of nitrous?  The engine will have over 200k on it by the time this becomes a reality.

I'm really tempted to try an eBay nitrous kit with a $500 "january special" motorcycle from craigslist.  This can't be any more abusive to a motorcycle than Todd jumping that pit-bike into the lake (which I think we all agree was hilarious and awesome).

• 2 weeks later...

Most dry kits are designed to increase fuel pressure via a solenoid that sends PSI to the regulator, or be injected before a MAF so that the computer will compensate some for the colder/denser air charge.

wet kit is muuuuuuch safer.  That being said, put a bigger main jet in so it runs on the rich side at WOT and have at it ?

• 2 weeks later...

Good chance you crack a ring... I think the swell up under the intense heat and pressure then ring endgap goes away, the failure. 

I'm betting a little research and a small amount of engine work would go a long way. 

I also think a super sport would hold up a bit better, being these engines are designed to handle the abuse a little better. 

The ex250 , although a great platform, I don't think would last long at all.