Training in Winter

jdonn

What’s everyone’s paincave like and what indoor equipment do you use? If none, what cold weather do you use? 

I personally have a Wahoo KICKR and use a GEN3 Apple TV with Zwift. I try to get at least 70mi a week... some days are easier than others. The suffering is real! 

• 1 month later...

Grabbed a Wahoo Kickr a few weeks ago. I've been using Trainerroad with Powertap pedals, but that Kickr really keeps the workouts honest! Love that it smooths out the power requirements for the workout with no shifting to find where to be. Leave it in ERG mode and keep cadence consistent.

I use whatever 1990's spin bike my gym has...  did 50 mins of interval training last night at level 15 (I believe 20 is highest).  My Garmin watch does not integrate with the spin bike, but it tracks my heart rate throughout the ride.  I'm not convinced it's very accurate (the hand grips on the machine were giving me conflicting info on my pulse), but effort is effort.

I also try to fat bike outside as often as possible.  That is a lot more fun, and per the heart rate monitor, much more varied and intense.  The problem is lack of daylight.  My toes also got a little cold on my 80 minute ride on Saturday. (I wear leather work boots and platform pedals in the winter)

I have a "primitive" spin bike in my basement as well.  I haven't used that as much.  the tension is a manual knob.  It's high quality fixed-gear with a big-ass flywheel, and quality toe clips, but it's hard to stay motivated without the computer changing the resistance and counting out my timed intervals.  I typically watch "The Grand Tour" on Amazon Prime, and turn up the resistance half a turn any time the episode buffers, then back it down to "regular" effort when it's playing again.

• 1 month later...

^ to update the post above, I figured out that the watch isn't as dumb as I thought.  The HR eats battery - so it's only really paying attention if you have it start an activity.  There is an "indoor cycling" activity that I've been using with good results (within 2 BPM of the hand-grips on the spin bike)

So I can get it to track my time and my heart rate, but I have to edit and manually enter the distance the spin bike tells me I covered (obviously the GPS isn't tracking movement on a spin bike).

Edited by redkow97