heated grips

Casper

I have had two sets of the Oxford heated grips on the Connie.  They worked well while they lasted.  I got about 20,000 miles from each set, then they failed.

Now, I use heated gloves.  Heated gloves are great, but you have to plug them in. 

1 minute ago, Connie14 said:

I have had two sets of the Oxford heated grips on the Connie.  They worked well while they lasted.  I got about 20,000 miles from each set, then they failed.

Now, I use heated gloves.  Heated gloves are great, but you have to plug them in. 

Huh, mine have been on for almost 3 years and 40k and still going. 

20 minutes ago, Connie14 said:

Tourmaster just came out with some lithium version of their heated gloves they are well known for. They were just released this week and tried some on Friday at the office. Pretty sweet, they offer in leather or textile. Working on getting our website updated but are available. A link to their site for reference for now.

Edited by RidersDiscount

4 minutes ago, RidersDiscount said:

Tourmaster just came out with some lithium version of their heated gloves they are well known for. They were just released this week and tried some on Friday at the office. Pretty sweet, they offer in leather or textile. Working on getting our website updated but are available. A link to their site for reference for now.

Those look like they are headed in the right direction..IF, you can buy additional batteries and swap them out for longer trips. Really cold or rainy days ill run my gloves on high or 75% all day long so the direct wire to the bike almost can't be replaced.

7 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Those look like they are headed in the right direction..IF, you can buy additional batteries and swap them out for longer trips. Really cold or rainy days ill run my gloves on high or 75% all day long so the direct wire to the bike almost can't be replaced.

Yes additional batteries are available for purchase as well. 

26 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Huh, mine have been on for almost 3 years and 40k and still going. 

Yep.  I had the sport version, then the touring version.  I liked the touring version much more.  If the touring version still worked, I would still be using it.  The right hand quit working.  My brother tried to fix it, but he was unsuccessful.   Having heated gloves, I decided against trying a third set. 

3 minutes ago, RidersDiscount said:

Tourmaster has stepped up their game in the last couple years and listening to what the masses want at really reasonable prices. Their quality has been stepped up too. People give them a bad rep because of something they were not happy with 5 of 10 years ago really should give then another shot.

3 minutes ago, RidersDiscount said:

They look nice. If I didn't already have a set, I would be interested.  Like Tim said,  it would be nice to have extra batteries on a long trip. 

1 minute ago, 2talltim said:

Tourmaster has stepped up their game in the last couple years and listening to what the masses want at really reasonable prices. Their quality has been stepped up too. People give them a bad rep because of something they were not happy with 5 of 10 years ago really should give then another shot.

I agree, they are still coming out with a new version of their corded option next year too but really wanted to get the lithium stuff out now. 

Yep.  I had the sport version, then the touring version.  I liked the touring version much more.  If the touring version still worked, I would still be using it.  The right hand quit working.  My brother tried to fix it, but he was unsuccessful.   Having heated gloves, I decided against trying a third set. 

Think the key to the right side just like any heated grip is to give the cable plenty of play and make sure it doesn't hit anything with it's full range of motion. I know with the first couple years they were putting stock heated grips on the connie people were having issues with the right one. Then they issued a recall where all Kawi did was reroute the cable to give it more room and less kink and it fixed it. So when I installed mine I was particular on how I routed it.

They look nice. If I didn't already have a set, I would be interested.  Like Tim said,  it would be nice to have extra batteries on a long trip. 

Yep, plus the batteries aren't super expensive. The glove battery retails at $34.99 and the jacket/vest battery at $39.99. If anyone is interested be sure to send me a PM for more info. 

2 minutes ago, RidersDiscount said:

I agree, they are still coming out with a new version of their corded option next year too but really wanted to get the lithium stuff out now. 

The guys that are wanting to occasionally tour on their sporty bikes will eat these up.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Think the key to the right side just like any heated grip is to give the cable plenty of play and make sure it doesn't hit anything with it's full range of motion. I know with the first couple years they were putting stock heated grips on the connie people were having issues with the right one. Then they issued a recall where all Kawi did was reroute the cable to give it more room and less kink and it fixed it. So when I installed mine I was particular on how I routed it.

Yep.  I was very careful when mounting them the second time.  The second failure wasn't in the chord or going into the grip.  The failure was inside the grip itself.

2 minutes ago, Connie14 said:

Yep.  I was very careful when mounting them the second time.  The second failure wasn't in the chord or going into the grip.  The failure was inside the grip itself.

Strange. I feel mine have already paid for themselves if they ever would fail I would not hesitate to get another set.

Me too, always wanted to try heated grips. But found a pair of Winter motorcycle gloves that actually work. Looks like normal gloves, but got some crazy insulation. Held up for a long long all night ride thru the Virginia/West Virginia mountains in the 35F-40F damp foggy weather. Actually can get too hot and sweaty some days. Back-in-the-day, we'd buy good skiing gloves  to use.

55 minutes ago, ReconRat said:

Me too, always wanted to try heated grips. But found a pair of Winter motorcycle gloves that actually work. Looks like normal gloves, but got some crazy insulation. Held up for a long long all night ride thru the Virginia/West Virginia mountains in the 35F-40F damp foggy weather. Actually can get too hot and sweaty some days. Back-in-the-day, we'd buy good skiing gloves  to use.

Can they still be had? I've a pair of Olympia snow machine gloves, but I couldn't start my bike with them... let alone pick up the damn ignition key.