Planning and Preparing: Go West Young Man!! (Justin and Tim's westward adventure)

2talltim

2TT:  On Day 10, unless you're specifically targeting a trip to Delta--cool little town nicknamed "City of Murals" for good reason--the SR92 loop around the north side of Black Canyon of the Gunnison is a worthwhile road with awesome views.  BCG is also worthy of a stop just for a photo-op if you have the time.  You can access it from the south side off US50 to stay on pavement, or off SR92 from the north side if you don't mind some smooth, graded gravel to get to the rim overlooks.  Looks like a great trip!

Edited by Bubba
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bubba said:

2TT:  On Day 10, unless you're specifically targeting a trip to Delta--cool little town nicknamed "City of Murals" for good reason--the SR92 loop around the north side of Black Canyon of the Gunnison is a worthwhile road with awesome views.  BCG is also worthy of a stop just for a photo-op if you have the time.  You can access it from the south side off US50 to stay on pavement, or off SR92 from the north side if you don't mind some smooth, graded gravel to get to the rim overlooks.  Looks like a great trip!

Exactly the kind of feedback we are looking for. I added SR92 as a alt route thank you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TimTheAzn said:

Looks like a good time. Maybe one day I'll do a ride like this.

You didn't put who is going to be the big/small spoon each night, I know ya'll rotate the responsibilities. 

Why we are both trying to loose weight the winner gets to be the little spoon. :banana:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Qman said:

Do you think you can make the trip on 1 rear tire?

No, not sure. I'm going to venture to say, not. The plan is to have a dealer lined up maybe in the Denver area that will be able to get one or take tools and spoons and have one delivered to the Dillon hotel and do it ourselves. Hypothetically we should be able to make one last that long taking it easy but knowing ourselves we need to have a plan to get one somewhere.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2talltim said:

No, not sure. I'm going to venture to say, not. The plan is to have a dealer lined up maybe in the Denver area that will be able to get one or take tools and spoons and have one delivered to the Dillon hotel and do it ourselves. Hypothetically we should be able to make one last that long taking it easy but knowing ourselves we need to have a plan to get one somewhere.

Yeah, you might be wearing the center more quickly than you think.  The rock used in the roads out west is a lot of granite...great traction, but wears the hell out of your tire, and you'll most likely see a lot of heat.  (more wear).

14 minutes ago, Qman said:

Definitely hit Redfish lake and Stanley in the Sawtooths, then on to Craters of the Moon.

Those were on my original maps but cut them due to making a long day even longer. Not so much mileage but time. Might add them back in if time permits.

• Like 1

So, Can me and my wife go? She's a really good rider ( even though she never breaks 50 mph even on the freeway)  and cannot ride on the back of my bike due to some feminist badass personna she's trying to portray.  She has a bad ass Harley sportster super Duper low so will have to stick to straight roads because she doesn't like turns.   

Also, you'll need to carry all my shit.

4 minutes ago, max power said:

So, Can me and my wife go? She's a really good rider ( even though she never breaks 50 mph even on the freeway)  and cannot ride on the back of my bike due to some feminist badass personna she's trying to portray.  She has a bad ass Harley sportster super Duper low so will have to stick to straight roads because she doesn't like turns.   

Also, you'll need to carry all my shit.

Sure, except for the carry all your shit part. We'll meet you at the hotel every night. (or next morning what ever time the Grayhound rolls in):lol: 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2talltim said:

...the ones that would be invited you already know your welcome too and no need to ask. Yes this means you @Toniknone of this "I wasn't invited" malarkey. 

So everyone else got a personal invite, and I got a crappy sarcastic mention in the thread?

4 minutes ago, Tonik said:

So everyone else got a personal invite, and I got a crappy sarcastic mention in the thread?

No,  you got more than everyone else got :lol:

Edited by 2talltim
  • Like 1

Looks pretty epic!

All I can say is that the Million Dollar Highway in Colorado should not be missed. Shannon and I took our honeymoon on the FJR Summer before last and it's an absolutely stunning ride.

We used Montrose, Co as home base for 3 days and rode to Silverton and also to Moab, as loops. I'd suggest going from Moab, UT to Ridgeway, CO then down the Million Dollar Highway to Silverton and then Durango. That's a really spectacular ride. Goes from desert red rock canyons to Aspen stands at 11k feet. It's really worth the detour. And the back roads outside of Moab that go into Colorado offer incredible views. CO-141 is awesome and twisty. CO-145 runs along a wide canyon then up and over a mountain range.

Anyway....other then the fact that you are skipping Zion National Park and the Million Dollar Highway, I think this looks incredible! The Million Dollar Highway is close enough you could alter your route and fit it in. Zion, maybe not. But I think you'll find Moab to Durango is a much better ride than Moab to Cortez. Just my two cents. TFTI, BTW :)

Edited by Blitz

"In the state of Colorado of the United States of America there’s a special highway built in the late 1880's: the Million Dollar Highway, part of the San Juan Skyway. It's one of the nation’s most spectacular drives. You'll be on the "outside" for a while with a hell of a view to your right (let the passenger look. You'll want to watch the road) "
http://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/635-million-dollar-highway-usa.html

Edited by Blitz

21 minutes ago, Blitz said:

Looks pretty epic!

All I can say is that the Million Dollar Highway in Colorado should not be missed. Shannon and I took our honeymoon on the FJR Summer before last and it's an absolutely stunning ride.

We used Montrose, Co as home base for 3 days and rode to Silverton and also to Moab, as loops. I'd suggest going from Moab, UT to Ridgeway, CO then down the Million Dollar Highway to Silverton and then Durango. That's a really spectacular ride. Goes from desert red rock canyons to Aspen stands at 11k feet. It's really worth the detour. And the back roads outside of Moab that go into Colorado offer incredible views. CO-141 is awesome and twisty. CO-145 runs along a wide canyon then up and over a mountain range.

Anyway....other then the fact that you are skipping Zion National Park and the Million Dollar Highway, I think this looks incredible! The Million Dollar Highway is close enough you could alter your route and fit it in. Zion, maybe not. But I think you'll find Moab to Durango is a much better ride than Moab to Cortez. Just my two cents. TFTI, BTW :)

18 minutes ago, Blitz said:

"In the state of Colorado of the United States of America there’s a special highway built in the late 1880's: the Million Dollar Highway, part of the San Juan Skyway. It's one of the nation’s most spectacular drives. You'll be on the "outside" for a while with a hell of a view to your right (let the passenger look. You'll want to watch the road) "
http://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/635-million-dollar-highway-usa.html

Million Dollar Hwy is on day 10, has been the whole time. :dunno:

Edited by 2talltim
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm sure you guys have considered the heat factor.   In all but the higher elevations, this trip is likely to be damn hot.  A month or 2 later would make the trip more enjoyable.  Just a friendly reminder!