Local (to NEO) camping destinations

redkow97

Interested in tent camping locations that people like.  Hiking trails a must.  Fishing, mountain biking, and a swim beach are bonuses.  Primitive camping is fine.  I'm talking weekend trips, for now.  Gotta see how my daughter does on short trips before we get into anything more elaborate.

Searches for "camp sites" yields a bunch of places with RV hookups and stocked ponds.  I want "real" camping.  I'd prefer not to have to hike-in with gear, but I will if I have to.

I think their "primitive" camping is just like the rest of teh sites, except without an electrical box.  But yes, I have camped there many times.  I was hoping to find something closer, and more ...desolate.  I think I need to start looking at private land, and just draw up a basic contract that says I won't sue them if I hurt myself, and I'll pay damages if i burn anything more than fire wood.

Like I said, I've not stayed at their campground in quite some time.  My dad has property maybe 15 min from the park so that's where we camp instead of at the park.

We did plenty of tent camping growing up (I have a large family) but the only primitive locations I remember were in Pennsylvania and they were pretty isolated.

I pulled up pictures, and the primitive sites look different than the main area sites I have used before.

I'll have to do a couple more backyard overnights and then a weekend at the private land MTB trail I like in Wooster.  I'm not sure how a 4 yr old girl will deal with the lack of bathroom.

THere is tent camping at Mohican State Forest above the covered bridge (not the side towards Rt 97, but the other side closer to Pleasant Hill Dam).  I’ve never camped there but there are usually cub scouts or other groups there in the summer.  

5 minutes ago, Danimal said:

RIIIIGHT....like I'm gonna pay $28.50 for the right to set up my tent next to Stafford House?

sheeeesh what a ripoff

Agreed.  I'm sure they're just trying to prevent homeless camps from popping up, but I think it's ridiculous to pay $25/night just to set up a tent.

at more resort-like places, I understand it a LITTLE more, because they're supporting infrastructure and maintenance costs, but even then, there's a separate fee for electricity and RV hookups.  I'm not using $25 worth of water a day...

I'm not completely opposed to a camp site, I just thought I'd try to find some place without a bunch of people.   I don't mind when there are "neighbors" 200+ feet away, but in some camp sites it seems like you can hear the neighbors snoring, and they're just there to play on their boat all day.  That's great, but I wanted to camp and hike, and maybe do a little fishing and swimming. 

Tappan lake has some nice spots, although they have torn up some of their "primitive" areas and turning them into full hookup RV spots...ripping up big sections of forest, pretty sad.  Have you tried Jefferson lake SP or Barkcamp SP?