Rabbit's 2017 TOR Yamaha R6 race build

TwiztedRabbit

we didn't take  but a few mm off the edge not like a lot of people tend to do and angle the whole damn pad... then I could absolutely see failing them from tech. Our Chamfering of the pad does not effect the performance of the rear brake at all.

EDIT: I realize in that picture it really seems that the pad is  shaved completely  at an angle, it is not

Edited by TwiztedRabbit

15 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

Is that just to make wheel changes quicker?  I've not seen that before, but I've also never looked for it...

yes Chris, chamfering the pads is 100% to make wheel changes faster having a captive rear caliper. plus the pads  makes rear wheel changes significantly faster.   basically it takes 3 things / safety wire to hold the  inner pad in place /  captive spacers to hold the  rear spacers in place so they don't pop out at the slightest bump /  chamfered pads to allow the rear rotor to  slide up easily so that a square surface doesn't snag on the square surface of the pads!

i'm certain everyone here has experienced the frustration of getting the rear rotor to line up straight and up into the pad/caliper recess.

Lets build some powa! What is done with the engine build is determined buy the rules your competing under, level of maintenance you want to perform and of corse your budget. From stock, superstock, supersport, superbike and beyond. Combustion engines are an air pump so their ability to breath is everything. Milling the gasket surface allows us to tune the combustion chamber size and compression ratio. CNC valve job gives us a clean and consistent radius for optimal air flow past the valve seats. CNC porting forms IN/EX ports for optimal flow that is 100% repeatable from head to head. The unsung hero of a good breathing engine is properly evenly set up valve clearances. 

20171118_221327.jpg

20171118_222026.jpg

20171118_223143.jpg

20171118_224014.jpg

20171118_224902.jpg

download-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Theres only one thing we all need in this world, a sturdy bottom end. Blueprinting for proper oil clearances and balancing parts with rotating mass increases reliability and reduces vibration. Boring and plating cylinders to match over size pistons and for maintenance. Cryo treating and or Lighten/Balancing crankshaft. Carrillo Rods when more strength is needed. Piston coatings reduce friction and wear while increasing sealing surface area and managing heat. 

R6s have vary specific issues with the oil clearances on the crank and rods. The 06-07 crank bearings allowed a loss of oil pressure causing a starvation condition to the #2 rod and habitual spun rod bearings. In 08- yamaha made a correction to prevent this issue but overcorrected. In this 2017 r6 the #5 rod bearing had 0.0003” oil gap. And therefor not long for this earth. In the 08- we started to see crankshaft failures that cryo treatment prevents. This is why properly built engines can increase reliability.

download.jpg

download-1.jpg

download-2.jpg

download-3.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

AAAAAANNNNND We are back at it!!!! a long hiatus on the build for the holiday break... now time to   knuckle down

We need to improve performance in every aspect of our machines. Transmissions are no exception. Shimming for proper end play and under/over cutting improve engagement. An improvement on any machine but a necessity on modern Kawasakis. REM superfinish polishing can sow over 30% reduction in friction in a constant mesh gear set. This system of polishing has also been tested up to a 60% reduction in wear. Polishing the shift drum, forks and shafts along with modern shift assist systems get as close as we can to the seamless shift transmission used in MotoGP. We polish the camshafts and buckets for further reduction of negative HP. 

untitled2.png.de2a8f7715c4a340b409835b0e96d914.pnguntitled1.png.d68bb136730ba48bd15e42d8520d84b8.png

untitled.jpg

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

Thats it!? You teased me with 3 pictures!?

Did you go through all of this with your 08?

Well you came back didn't you? That's all we have at the moment reassembly is getting ready to start 

Find just for Giggles a big giant box of parts

5382429761.jpg

5382433991.jpg

5382439681.jpg

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 2

As far as my 2008 Yamaha R6 race bike. I did not go through the same rigorous build specs. Other than the motor work and tuning  on it. Everything was installed by myself as bolt-on accessories. E.G.  quick shifter,  levers, pads, lines. A lot of just the basics even though it was well sorted. 

This 2017 just based on build not even Parts added that I didn't have before will be Leaps and Bounds performance and fit wise better  than my 08 ever thought of being.  

1 minute ago, TwiztedRabbit said:

This 2017 just based on build not even Parts added that I didn't have before will be Leaps and Bounds performance and fit wise better  than my 08 ever thought of being.  

I remember you saying you rode a demo and you were sold instantly lol.

i really was, it was interesting.. they are mechanically the same... well mostly.. but the front end.. the  new motor characteristics, the way the ecu manages the power modes, and even its  feeling of in turn stability (something  no r6 has ever had) while maintaining the  r6 flickability i was done... that was a stock one...

then i rode a friends decently set up  17 r6...  holy hell.... i was within 0.5 seconds of my best time ever at Putnam  (best was 1:14.1  friends r6 1:14.6)  after only 3 laps on the bike and more comfortable than ever... 

yeah i had to have one... this coming from a guy that felt his R6 was perfect and couldn't get any better, and would never sell it

This tread is giving me a chubby.  I love building motors, but most of my race motor builds have been for dirt late models, drag cars, and dirt bikes, quads etc.  I did a big bore kit on my old ZX11, but that was the only I4 bike motor I got into, and I never split the cases.

Thanks for sharing the good stuff Rabbit!

• Upvote 1

Hey @TwiztedRabbit are you putting an aftermarket crank in the motor?  I just noticed the one pic above showing the crank along with one rod and piston, the crank has grooved main journals.  The crank in the other pic showing the crank in the upper case with rods bolted up has smooth main journals.  Some top secret R6 building secrets revealed on OR?

All the V8's I've built have smooth journals on the crank, with the oil grooves in the bearings - that's why the one pic caught my eye.

• 2 weeks later...

REM polishing is so under-rated. There really is no downside to it as when it's done correctly, your parts come back at the same size they were sent (unlike classic polishing that will shave everything down a bit). It's dirt cheap too. Last time I sent in a transmission everything got done for $60. I think they just take the small stuff and throw it in along with other customers big parts.

• Casper unpinned this topic