Neighborhood Dirt Ride

Earache

Cool thing about Colorado is that the cops and locals don't hassle dirt bikes at all. My bike isn't exactly street legal - just has a headlight and a tail light and a worthless mirror - but cops don't give you a second look. Little towns liek having the additional tourist money, too.

4 hours ago, Earache said:

Cool thing about Colorado is that the cops and locals don't hassle dirt bikes at all. My bike isn't exactly street legal - just has a headlight and a tail light and a worthless mirror - but cops don't give you a second look. Little towns liek having the additional tourist money, too.

Had an absolute blast off-road riding for 2 weeks out there this summer!  So much open area to explore.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Qman said:

Had an absolute blast off-road riding for 2 weeks out there this summer!  So much open area to explore.  

We need to do an OR Rides the Rockies event next summer - a mixture of on and off road riding,

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Earache said:

We need to do an OR Rides the Rockies event next summer - a mixture of on and off road riding,

I'd certainly be at the back of that pack!  Slow, green and old when it comes to dirt!  Not gonna do much technical stuff either (steep, Big rocks, deep sand...)!  :wheelchair:

8 hours ago, Earache said:

Couple of us are planning a trip for next year out there but all street riding, will be on touring turds.

Mrs Wahoo and I spent 9 days in Colorado this past summer on our couch rocket.   Rocky Mountain National Park, Breckinridge, Montrose, Durango and Colorado Springs.  Beautiful country and some of the best roads in the country for sure.  Made it to 4 corners, and hit 3 of the 4 national parks in the state.  The ride up to the top of Pikes Peak was something I’ll never forget.

Only down side was 3 long ass days of 500 miles each to get there, and three long ass days to get home.  16 days total for a little over 4,300 miles.   

52 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

Only down side was 3 long ass days of 500 miles each to get there, and three long ass days to get home.  16 days total for a little over 4,300 miles.   

I have loads of room for trucks and trailers here at the house - better off trailering out. Crossing Kansas  /Eastern Colorado sucks all sorts of balls.

The house is right in the middle fo the good riding areas = great place to start and end your rides.

52 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

See @JustinNck1 I'm not the only one that thinks this. :lol: 

I've ridden the midwest to the west coast more times than I care to remember. Given a 10 day vacation, 4 days are spent on the slab just going as fast as you can. In a truck, with two drivers, Ohio to Colorado can be done in an easy day.

Last week we did Zanesville to Black Hawk in about 18 hours with no problem. not even trying hard. On bike, it can be done as well - but you're too tired for a day or so after that to do much.

Truck / trailering makes a lot more sense. It's almost cheaper, easier on your body, saves  hotel room expense for two nights, etc.

1 hour ago, Earache said:

I've ridden the midwest to the west coast more times than I care to remember. Given a 10 day vacation, 4 days are spent on the slab just going as fast as you can. In a truck, with two drivers, Ohio to Colorado can be done in an easy day.

Last week we did Zanesville to Black Hawk in about 18 hours with no problem. not even trying hard. On bike, it can be done as well - but you're too tired for a day or so after that to do much.

Truck / trailering makes a lot more sense. It's almost cheaper, easier on your body, saves  hotel room expense for two nights, etc.

I've tried to tell him this. He's young and doesn't understand.

2 hours ago, 2talltim said:

See @JustinNck1 I'm not the only one that thinks this. :lol: 

I've done that 4 times on a bike.  Yes, it sucks balls AND wears the center off your tire!  Rode thru eastern Kansas in record heat (109) that day.   My rear tire was a sticky, gooey worn-out mess.  

Just now, Qman said:

I've done that 4 times on a bike.  Yes, it sucks balls AND wears the center off your tire!  Rode thru eastern Kansas in record heat (109) that day.   My rear tire was a sticky, gooey worn-out mess.  

Keep the lessons coming maybe the young one will see the light. Taking notes @JustinNck1? :lol: 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Keep the lessons coming maybe the young one will see the light. Taking notes @JustinNck1? :lol: 

I totally get the "ride across the country" thing. I rode to California from Indiana about 8 times and did Colorado / Utah another 8-9 times. I only trailered once as my wife wanted to go along and didn't want to ride across the boring parts. Hate to admit, but she was right.

Still think the biggest advantage is that you spend more of your valuable riding time in areas that are worth a shit and not crossing the flats of Kansas in 100F+ heat and cops every 8 miles, searching for non-existant fuel every 200 miles and getting a sore ass in the process.

Ride there once to get it outta your system and then trailer.

17 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

I think one really needs to experience it once to really know how bad it sucks!  If you have the time to take backroads (like Rt.36), it helps.