Who knows air rifles?

redkow97

I bought a shitty co2 propelled pistol (Umarex XGB) because i wanted to enter the packaging into evidence on a case where the asshole robbing a guy shot him in the lip and stole his puppy. (Not exaggerating a word of that). 

The case settled, and i kept the pistol (because we never even opened the package, and it was purchased with my own money.) 

It has turned out to be great fun and highly convenient to shoot in my basement. A hanging piece of carpet scrap and a catch box makes the plinking practically silent, and acceptably safe. 

It makes me want an air rifle capable of taking small game. Squirrel and rabbit. 

I am reading that means 800 FPS with a .22 pellet or 1000+ with a .177 pellet. 

I have a SLIGHT preference for the 177, simply because i already have thousands of them for the pistol, but it’s not like they’re expensive to keep around. 

How much can i expect to spend on a decent air rifle, with iron sights?

I have been shooting Gamo guns, but there are many out there to choose from. Plenty of info on the net for what people like and don't like. I think if you can find any break barrel in the 120 to 220 price range you cant go wrong. Then shoot the hell out of it , do some research to find out find something that will suit your needs better. You will find these things addictive and a lot of fun to shoot. They can be highly accurate and deadly on small game. They can be like Lays potato chips....you cant only have one....Good Luck 

14 hours ago, Wolfman1 said:

I have a Gamo break barrel .177 I picked up at the fin.  Fantastic air gun and came with a scope. It is very accurate and I use it as my varmit gun.

I keep finding them with optics that make them needlessly expensive.  I can't use an optic in my basement.

Also, your signature named this band.  They probably don't like air rifles (or any rifles) though...

I still have my crossman powermaster 66 that I got back in 1990 or so.  10 pump open sight goodness.  I can still hit a thumbtack out to 25 feet with it.  Not much knockdown power at sub 800fps speeds but I've taken more rats on my parents farm with that little rifle than would fill a 55gallon drum.