Oh Mackey-Ford...

just_some_dude

Went to Mackey-Ford Wildlife Area just south of Columbus 2 times this 2017 deer season. The first day I was there I heard about 7 sniffs / snort wheeze all in a row almost immediately at 30 mins prior to sunrise. I'm assuming the deer may have seen me and took off. Second day, about a week later, I went back (different location) and it was silent. Nothing out there. I went there a few times in the 2016 season and there was nothing. I think I'm done with this place (it is also really small)

I've noticed in certain areas people have dumped large amounts of corn kernels and dog food out in the open. I've read some online horror stories about that area with people driving their trucks in the open field.

Anyone ever been here and have any luck?

I need to find another place. Can't go another year without a deer :). Last year I tried Simco a few times, but that place is difficult to get around. Tons of thorns and lots of cliffs and hills.

Alum Creek has some public hunting as well, I used to kill a deer or two there every year...Have not hunted there in probably 8 years though so I don't know if anything has changed but it never used to be crowded at all.

• 2 months later...

This year has turned out to be a dud so far. I was thinking about going out one more time before the end of the season. I went to PA and hunted with a relative, the amount of deer I saw there was crazy. I haven't seen a single deer on private or public land in Ohio this season :).