Tuned or turbo’d civics...

redkow97

On 11/10/2017 at 5:54 PM, serpentracer said:

forgot to mention it's a 2013 the 4cyl turbo has 275hp.   more than her old Z28 lol

Not knocking Kia at all. Our 2016 sorento is great. 290hp And well optioned. It’s a non-minivan. 

I would love to find a cheap Forte with all the options, but civics are a more proven commodity. 

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:54 PM, serpentracer said:

forgot to mention it's a 2013 the 4cyl turbo has 275hp.   more than her old Z28 lol

That's not saying much now days. Back in the 80s and 90s they were still trying to figure out emissions and the only way to do it was choke HP. The Chevy 3.6 V6 LFX  or LGX(and other hi feature models) engines they are putting in about every platform now are pumping out 310-335 HP and capable of a little more with tuning. They are also getting between 20 and 35 MPG's also depends on the platform since they are putting them in everything from 4wd trucks to Camaros to touring cars. Things have come a long way from the 190HP Z28s..lol

My wife's 15 impala has that 3.6 and it's wonderful on long trips with plenty of kick her in the ass power and still get 30mpg. I had a rental last week in Vegas with the same engine in a Camaro and it was obviously tuned different and I could kick it sideway at about every turn but was only getting 22ish MPG's with it on the freeway. So when folks talk about i4 turbo'd and only getting mid 30s I'm not even entertained I rather have the torques of a bigger displacement and only giving up a few MPG's.

Edited by 2talltim

4 hours ago, 2talltim said:

That's not saying much now days. Back in the 80s and 90s they were still trying to figure out emissions and the only way to do it was choke HP. The Chevy 3.6 V6 LFX  or LGX(and other hi feature models) engines they are putting in about every platform now are pumping out 310-335 HP and capable of a little more with tuning. They are also getting between 20 and 35 MPG's also depends on the platform since they are putting them in everything from 4wd trucks to Camaros to touring cars. Things have come a long way from the 190HP Z28s..lol

My wife's 15 impala has that 3.6 and it's wonderful on long trips with plenty of kick her in the ass power and still get 30mpg. I had a rental last week in Vegas with the same engine in a Camaro and it was obviously tuned different and I could kick it sideway at about every turn but was only getting 22ish MPG's with it on the freeway. So when folks talk about i4 turbo'd and only getting mid 30s I'm not even entertained I rather have the torques of a bigger displacement and only giving up a few MPG's.

The optima does has good low end torque too.  269 i believe 

Edited by 2talltim
typo in quote

On 11/10/2017 at 7:42 PM, jschaf said:

Honda never had the torque thing down plus the new civics are ugly as hell.  I've had 1 Honda civic SI & 3 Volkswagen GTIs.  Current one is the best.  3000 lbs, 316 hp, 380 lb ft, 38 mpg highway, 32 mpg everyday (APR stage 1 tune, otherwise bone stock).  

Better fuel economy with the tune.  

This comment exponentially increases my desire to go APR Stage 1 with my GTI...