All inclusive beach vacations

Tpoppa

5 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

What about travel from the Airport to the resort?  Prebook?  Mexican death taxi?

Cozumel is pretty laid back compared to the mainland.  Just go to the shuttle desk (ignore all the sales monkeys trying to get you to buy into anything at the airport)  You'll get a ticket and get a 15-20 minute ride to the resort from the airport for like $11 per person.  On the way back to the airport, best bet is a taxi...~$30 for both of you.  The other thing to do in Cozumel is rent a car for a day and cruise around the island..stop at Coconuts bar for a snack (and a free drink for the ladies who show their COCONUTS!)  You should be able to get that place if Feb. for ~$100/night/person...if not let me know!

3 hours ago, Tonik said:

When you get stuck in the blank reply trap look for the blank square piece of paper. It's right next to the B.

That wipes out your reply and lets you start over.

Thanx!  F'n software!

Definitely don't go to Sandals in St. Lucia.  We were down the beach from them & when we ran into quite a few folks staying there at the local pubs & restaurants we heard nothing but complaints. IMO  it's more fun to book with a locally owned place, rent a car (or scooters) & immerse yourself into the local culture, eat in the local restaurants, drink at the local bars, meet the inhabitants.  We did this in St. Lucia & Puerto Rico (sucks now, since the hurricane, I know. Have some friends down there & feel sorry for their predicament).  Have fun on your vacation Tony.

Cool. Don't know if I'd go out of my way to mix with the locals down there though.  My only Mexican "vacations" were in Juarez, but I did get familiar with the residents as I had to work (& drink) with them.  Enjoy the vacation.                                                                 Maybe we'll get in a ride next year.  Considering the dirt.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

We decided on Riviera Maya.  I found a great place with direct flights.  Even managed to stay under budget.

Nice...  whats the resort?  I'm sure it'll be awesome.  Biggest downside there is the long trip from the airport.  Dont buy any "Cuban" cigars!  ¡Buen viaje gringo!

12 hours ago, Qman said:

Nice...  whats the resort?  I'm sure it'll be awesome.  Biggest downside there is the long trip from the airport.  Dont buy any "Cuban" cigars!  ¡Buen viaje gringo!

We went with a quieter resort surrounded by a little bit of nature instead of something in the hotel zone.   

Ocean Maya Royale, 4 star all inclusive.  Villas instead of a hotel.  We got direct flights to Cancun, room upgrade, & transportation to/from the airport for around $2k. (5 days/4 night).  

913424_267_z.jpg       

• Beer 2

On 11/6/2017 at 3:53 PM, Qman said:

Cozumel is pretty laid back compared to the mainland.  Just go to the shuttle desk (ignore all the sales monkeys trying to get you to buy into anything at the airport)  You'll get a ticket and get a 15-20 minute ride to the resort from the airport for like $11 per person.  On the way back to the airport, best bet is a taxi...~$30 for both of you.  The other thing to do in Cozumel is rent a car for a day and cruise around the island..stop at Coconuts bar for a snack (and a free drink for the ladies who show their COCONUTS!)  You should be able to get that place if Feb. for ~$100/night/person...if not let me know!

Did you do any snorkeling/diving on Cozumel? The GF wants to go stay somewhere fairly cheap early next year but decent shore snorkeling and (boat) diving is a requirement for me...

4 minutes ago, Limitedslip7 said:

Did you do any snorkeling/diving on Cozumel? The GF wants to go stay somewhere fairly cheap early next year but decent shore snorkeling and (boat) diving is a requirement for me...

The place I booked is right by Playa del Carmen.   It's a well known snorkeling location.  The resort also has free snorkeling lessons.

https://www.playadelcarmen.com/blog/best-snorkel-sites-around-playa-del-carmen/ 

9 hours ago, Limitedslip7 said:

Oh hell yes.  At secrets, 20 steps from an ocean front room and you're snorkeling with fishes!  And, Cozumel is considered one of the top 5 commercial diving spots in the world.

Also, all the resorts on Cozumel are on the leeward protected side of the island, so the surf is usually very calm.   Many of the resorts on the cancun/playa del carmen side have rough surf.

13 hours ago, Qman said:

Oh hell yes.  At secrets, 20 steps from an ocean front room and you're snorkeling with fishes!  And, Cozumel is considered one of the top 5 commercial diving spots in the world.

Was the beach packed there with cruisers? A lot of beach vendors hounding you? I made the mistake of staying on West Bay beach in Roatan and that shit about ruined it for me. I can't stand being badgered every five minutes by someone insistently selling a fucking massage or bracelet. I would prefer a laid back quiet section of beach with good reef if that is available there...

2 hours ago, Limitedslip7 said:

Was the beach packed there with cruisers? A lot of beach vendors hounding you? I made the mistake of staying on West Bay beach in Roatan and that shit about ruined it for me. I can't stand being badgered every five minutes by someone insistently selling a fucking massage or bracelet. I would prefer a laid back quiet section of beach with good reef if that is available there...

cruisers??  As in bikes???  No vehicles, not crowded.

Very very few vendors/ sales monkeys on the beach.   Zero on resort property.  

A view from our room last year....

IMG_20151215_113851341.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So, we just arrived at Secrets CapCana yesterday.   This might be our new go-to.  From what ive seen so far, im smitten!   What a phenomenal beach!  And the place is just a couple years old, so its really, really sweet.  We'll see how the week goes!!

• Upvote 1

On 11/8/2017 at 9:19 AM, Tpoppa said:

We went with a quieter resort surrounded by a little bit of nature instead of something in the hotel zone.   

Ocean Maya Royale, 4 star all inclusive.  Villas instead of a hotel.  We got direct flights to Cancun, room upgrade, & transportation to/from the airport for around $2k. (5 days/4 night).  

913424_267_z.jpg       

This is where we went for our honeymoon. I recognize the giant pavilion near the main pool. 

• Upvote 1

The only niggle so far is the beach is cloudy, so no snorkeling.  The price paid for powder white sand, calm surf, and you can walk out a couple hundred yards  from shore and still only shoulder deep!! Incredible.