NEO attorney/compliance?

redkow97

Annoyed enough at work right now that I'm updating the resume. 

In a perfect world, I would land at another public agency, and maintain my pension.  But life's not perfect.  Considering insurance companies as potential employers.  My experience is in criminal litigating.  Lots of bench trials, and a few jury trials.  That doesn't sound like very much, but it's more than most attorneys have ever tried, and I've won them all. (the jury trials, not every bench trial.  that would be staggeringly impressive)

The other path would be 'compliance' type jobs.  State filings.  Federal Rail Administration.  OSHA audits.  Any profession with a regulatory body should have an attorney reviewing their compliance, and appealing any questionable decisions or sanctions.  I'm less interested in contract work; however, i'm not a dummy when it comes to contracts.  Employment and HR law is not my area of experience, but I'm certainly capable of learning how to be the "Toby" of the office... (although I shudder at that thought, a bit).  

Edited by redkow97

consider working for federal gov.  DCMA, DCAA, DFAS, and other smaller agencies have a significant presence in the cleveland area.  assuming you haven't considered those options.  A few friends with their JDs work for insurance companies and they seem happy enough there.  Also had a few friends who worked for various firms and the money is sexy but the hours and pressure, not so much, especially if you have kid(s).  good luck on your search

14 hours ago, redkow97 said:

There's just a level of uncertainty about future advancement here that I'm not inclined to tolerate if other options are present. 

That's why I'm not salty that I'm no longer with Hyland anymore. Not everyone drinks the kool-aide there.

Good luck with the search.

Edited by TimTheAzn

12 hours ago, Tonik said:

Are u state or federal now? Different retirement systems.

State.  I'm not SUPER concerned about retirement, because I've continued to pay into my IRAs.  Just trying to minimize any loss of pension contributions, and take into account the possibility of student loan forgiveness by maintaining public employment.

3 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

State.  I'm not SUPER concerned about retirement, because I've continued to pay into my IRAs.  Just trying to minimize any loss of pension contributions, and take into account the possibility of student loan forgiveness by maintaining public employment.

Cool, just keep in the back of your mind you need to commit one way or the other. 30 years in SERS or 25 in Social Security. Otherwise you will be leaving a lot of money on the table with one or the other. 30 years in SERS means you get about 80 percent of your highest three years in retirement. Less than 25 in SS and your SS benefit will be reduced buy the amount you get from SERS.

There are other combo's you can play with. For example I am going to hit 15 in State and get about 40 percent of my salary and 25 in SS to maintain full SS.

It's complicated, but worth figuring out. SERS has a website with an estimator gizmo you can use.

1 hour ago, Tpoppa said:

A while ago I was interested in a PM position at Hyland.  But, I haven't heard many good opinions from people that work there, or used to.

Probably a good choice, chances are they wouldn't have paid you for what you are actually worth. They probably wouldn't have let you WFH either. There is a stigma about WFH there even though they are a TECH company with more than enough TECH to allow employees to do so (for the jobs that you don't actually have to be in office for like mine was.)

I'm sorry but "cool" employee events in the middle of the day do not pay for my bills and motorcycling. They have a terrible stance (although I do understand it) of "If you want to work at a software company in NEO, we are it, if you don't like it go Cali."

And apparently they don't actually follow their core values either because I was let go for helping a customer in need/time crunch. 

Edited by TimTheAzn

10 hours ago, Tonik said:

...For example I am going to hit 15 in State and get about 40 percent of my salary and 25 in SS to maintain full SS...

That can be done. I did over 30 SS and 20 SERS/STRS. Collected both. Some years was working both at the same time, to get there. Although had been working since age 14 or 15 anyway. Did not see any reductions. Still need whatever other retirement amounts and IRA and savings you can put together, to add to it.

Edited by ReconRat

I've tried to operate as if my pension and SS won't be solvent by the time I retire.  I consider either a "bonus" at this point.

The amount I save and forget about each month is probably part of the reason I feel so poor all the time.  My IRA pulls from my paycheck the moment it hits my bank account, so I literally never see the money i'm saving, until and unless I check my retirement account statement.

In that vein of thinking, I was reading a Jalopnik article yesterday about Telsa's production woes with the model 3.  Their stock is expected to tank.  I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for that to happen.  Tesla seems to be a favorite son for gov't subsidies.  And if the Democrats mount any kind of response to Trump, I expect Tesla's stability and growth through 2024 to be just fine.

38 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

just checked TSLA - down $30 in the last 5 days.  Still $299/share.  A little rich for my blood :(    wish it would split. 

Tesla stock is super risky in my opinion.  I personally wouldn't touch it, unless you see them dominating the battery market in the foreseeble future.

They are valued like a tech stock, which is much higher than an auto maker.  I would be worried about the market eventually seeing them as an actual automaker if their vehicles become more common and less of a novelty.  

45 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

Still $299/share.  A little rich for my blood :(    wish it would split. 

I am not understanding this comment.

What is the difference if you owned 1 share @ $299, or 10 shares @ $29.9?  A percentage point is still a percentage point.

a percentage point is a percentage point, but because it's a risky stock, I wouldn't buy a ton of it.  I'd throw $500 at it without much hesitation, but right now that only buys 1.2 shares.  In the 10:1 split you referenced, the same $500 buys 16 shares. 

Just now, redkow97 said:

a percentage point is a percentage point, but because it's a risky stock, I wouldn't buy a ton of it.  I'd throw $500 at it without much hesitation, but right now that only buys 1.2 shares.  In the 10:1 split you referenced, the same $500 buys 16 shares. 

It would be 1.6 shares vs 16 shares. 

In either case if the stock gained 10% you'd make $50 on your $500.  The difference is exactly ZERO dollars.  Whether or not it splits is completely irrelevant.

1 hour ago, redkow97 said:

FYI, the new tax plan kills the plug in car 7500 tax credit.