Michelin Road 5 Tires

JustinNck1

1 hour ago, JustinNck1 said:

The spec sheet says the Road 5 load rating for a 180/55 is 73, which is the same as a 180/55 PR4GT load rating.

Yeah, but my Pilot Power 3 also has a 73 load rating.  As I understand, the GT spec has a stiffer casing - you'd think that would translate to a higher load rating but not according to the data.  Hmm...

I have 2 friends with Connies that swear by the PR4GT.

8 minutes ago, MSerfozo said:

Yeah, but my Pilot Power 3 also has a 73 load rating.  As I understand, the GT spec has a stiffer casing - you'd think that would translate to a higher load rating but not according to the data.  Hmm...

I have 2 friends with Connies that swear by the PR4GT.

Hmm. That is odd. I just assumed a GT spec would have a higher load rating. I wasn't a fan of the PR4GTs for their price point or shape characteristics. I know it's a pipe dream, but Michelin needs to get their tires in the same price range as Pirelli, Bridgestone, Dunlop to be competitive IMO.

37 minutes ago, Pauly said:

No idea what they cost, but the old PR3s on my Duc are brilliant. Am a fan. 

Most folk hated the PR3, why the PR4 came out so early and they fixed what ever issues there were. I had no complaints with the PR4 when I ran them other than cost. I got slightly more mileage out of them than most tires but they were almost 50% more expensive so dollar or dollar and mile for mile they weren't worth it to do again.

On 10/27/2017 at 2:16 PM, Danimal said:

I think I'll wait for the Road Eleventyhundred to be released.

It oughta have a shit ton of sipes by then

I get your sarcasm, but you cannot defy progress...do you think Marc could have done this on Bias-Ply tires?  Lol!

https://streamable.com/51gnd

34 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Most folk hated the PR3, why the PR4 came out so early and they fixed what ever issues there were. I had no complaints with the PR4 when I ran them other than cost. I got slightly more mileage out of them than most tires but they were almost 50% more expensive so dollar or dollar and mile for mile they weren't worth it to do again.

They're nicer than anything I've run yet. I guess my perspective is narrow. Lol

1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

43 minutes ago, Pauly said:

They're nicer than anything I've run yet. I guess my perspective is narrow. Lol

I thought the PR3 was the better tire.  It felt more planted and stable than the 4.    

• Beer 1

I ran thru a couple sets of Michelin Power 1s on my CBR. They ran good & sticky but I'm sure they were a softer compound. Those Road 5s look like a the guys that did the power 1s got together with the guys that did the PR4s..  Interesting, but wait & see for me.