2018 Goldwing

max power

We’ll be looking at one but I’ll probably hold off until I retire in 2 years to pull the trigger.  My 2008 Wing has 65,000 miles on it now so I’m in no hurry to part with it.  By the time the 2020 models are released, they should have the new model bugs worked out.

It looks nice but they reduced storage capacity by 25% or so.  Wonder how long it will take the aftermarket folks to design a trailer hitch ?

Edited by Wahoo
  • Beer 1

On 10/26/2017 at 1:30 PM, JustinNck1 said:

:nono: When you get the Z900 and I get a FZ10, were gonna have to do a touring trip on them just to show the people who refuse to tour on their non-touring bike. :lol:

There is a huge ergonomic difference between the FZ10 and the FZ1. 

And the stupid handles keeping you from putting any side bags on it seal the deal.

3 hours ago, max power said:

There is a huge ergonomic difference between the FZ10 and the FZ1. 

And the stupid handles keeping you from putting any side bags on it seal the deal.

I've rode both within a 2 week period, and I feel like the FZ10 has better wind protection than the FZ1. Europe already has a FZ10 touring model. Not ideal for luggage, but it's possible. Especially for like a 2 or 3 day trip.

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products/motorcycles/hyper-naked/mt-10-tourer-edition.aspx?view=featurestechspecs&mode=colors#gallery=color|image=https://cdn.yamaha-motor.eu/product_assets/2017/MT10TE/950-75/2017-Yamaha-MT10-Tourer-Edition-EU-Night-Fluo-Studio-002.jpg

Edited by JustinNck1

1 hour ago, JustinNck1 said:

I've rode both within a 2 week period, and I feel like the FZ10 has better wind protection than the FZ1. Europe already has a FZ10 touring model. Not ideal for luggage, but it's possible. Especially for like a 2 or 3 day trip.

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products/motorcycles/hyper-naked/mt-10-tourer-edition.aspx?view=featurestechspecs&mode=colors#gallery=color|image=https://cdn.yamaha-motor.eu/product_assets/2017/MT10TE/950-75/2017-Yamaha-MT10-Tourer-Edition-EU-Night-Fluo-Studio-002.jpg

I was speaking on the ergonomics of the second gen FZ1 and the complete lack of luggage available to hang on it as to why I won't tour on it, Won't ride it to the gap etc.

On 10/26/2017 at 1:30 PM, JustinNck1 said:

:nono: When you get the Z900 and I get a FZ10, were gonna have to do a touring trip on them just to show the people who refuse to tour on their non-touring bike. :lol:

Everyone acts like it so horrible... I did 4500 miles 2 up in 12 days. Best trip of my life.

FB_IMG_1500786405565.jpg

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, mango_sv said:

Everyone acts like it so horrible... I did 4500 miles 2 up in 12 days. Best trip of my life.

FB_IMG_1500786405565.jpg

Sigh. Again completely different bike completely different handlebars completely different ergonomics and look at those bag mounting choices. An FZ1 is not a touring bike, at least for me.  I love that bike, but at the end of an all day ride  I could barely walk and I don't want to see it again for at least a week.

Edited by max power

On 10/30/2017 at 7:42 AM, JustinNck1 said:

Wow that's a heck of a camera mount setup.

It's ram mounted. We used the bike as a tripod to get good shots of the wife and I at stops. 

On 10/30/2017 at 8:07 AM, max power said:

Sigh. Again completely different bike completely different handlebars completely different ergonomics and look at those bag mounting choices. An FZ1 is not a touring bike, at least for me.  I love that bike, but at the end of an all day ride  I could barely walk and I don't want to see it again for at least a week.

Non-Touring bikes was what I was quoting. And I'd say an FZ1 is a pretty great touring set up. Heck, I toured my SV1000S with a full Givi setup. That alot more aggressive seating position than an FZ1. 

Goldwing "tour" the goldwing is already a touring bike, why do they need a tour model.

The goldwing is is an amazing bike.. but no matter what it is bland.  I've tried to like them, but I just can't.  There is nothing about it that excites the senses.   

20 minutes ago, Hoblick said:

The goldwing is is an amazing bike.. but no matter what it is bland.  I've tried to like them, but I just can't.  There is nothing about it that excites the senses.   

Hence the complete redesign. Think what most of us are hoping for are fixes to what you are saying. And by the numbers it sounds like they are moving in the right direction.

4 hours ago, mango_sv said:

Non-Touring bikes was what I was quoting. And I'd say an FZ1 is a pretty great touring set up. Heck, I toured my SV1000S with a full Givi setup. That alot more aggressive seating position than an FZ1. 

You apparently haven't  beat your body up as much as I have over the years.

just driving my work truck long-distances damn near cripples me some days.

if I'm doing long-distance touring, give me a Connie or an FJR or equivalent. The FZ isn't going to cut it.

17 minutes ago, max power said:

if I'm doing long-distance touring, give me a Connie or an FJR or equivalent. The FZ isn't going to cut it.

If you're struggling with driving a work truck, I would say a day trip on a sport touring bike is gonna be just as bad if not worse. Yes, they are comfortable, but not without some stress on the body.

• Upvote 1

FZ1 is good for short duration touring.  I have a tail bag that would hold enough clothes for a few days. 

The Connie is good for any duration touring (especially one up). 

I may potentially want a Honda Goldwing to tour with my wife and daughters. 

20171101_181302.jpg

With a few exceptions, I've gotten to the point in my life where if the wife or kids want to travel with me, we're taking a 4 wheel vehicle.  I have learned that I only like to travel on 2 wheels alone (certain group rides, notwithstanding).

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2017 at 11:03 AM, max power said:

Yea, 14 years of building All Terrians and Mud Terrains isn't hard on the body at all...