Electric Motorcycles

redbarron77

I know how everyone has an opinion, but I would like some technical thoughts on going with an Electric Motorcycle.

Zero has some decent reviews, etc, on their last two years of bikes, and I am seriously considering getting one for the daily commute.

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-ds/

I've got a lead on a DSR(actually DSP - Police model that has been gathering dust for two years), and would like to hear some $0.02 from the motorheads here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If you dont mind the price or find a steal on one a bike like the Zeros would seem to be an ideal non freeway commuter.

Very little maintenance, no need for gas, just plug in at home, and small and nimble for dodging cars and potholes. 

Dont expect to go for a fun ride though as you wont get very far, and the current prices are very premium for similar class petro machines.

I want one but I'm a cheap skate. 

I've been working criminal hours(average 60/wk) for the past 3 years.....

Job is looking like a change is coming, and commuting between 40-80 miles per day is looking probable.

the '05 Shadow has been a great bike, and I really like the thought of almost no maintenance.  Plus, I have been in contact with the dealership on this little baby => http://www.gulfcoastmotorcycle.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=2732630&p=1&make=zero&s=Year&d=D&t=new&fr=xNewInventory .  I think I can talk them down to a reasonable price, and get them to take off the flashers....don't know about the PA...but who wouldn't want a PA on their bike?

I did check into PlugShare.com to see how many level 2 charging stations actually exist, and was very surprised to see the number and distances being enough to make some day trips(Austin, Dallas, Houston) possible....don't know if I have the cajones to actually try those any time soon.

• Beer 2

I got a chance to talk with the Zero CEO and COO a few years back at an I.T. trade show and I liked their manufacturing and service philosophy.  I'd buy one if I had the spare cash, though I might be more inclined towards the FX model for dual sporting and general low-noise hooliganism.  The DSRs are way more capable on the street.

Nonetheless, scour the forums for postings about the specific model you're considering.  The batteries are VERY expensive should one take a crap, and I've heard that early Zero models had battery lifespan issues that greatly reduced their utility and resale value.  Also note that temperature has an effect upon battery capacity, so expect range to be much lower when it's cold.

• 3 weeks later...

Until they get a range of 250 - 300 mi per charge not much more than toys. However, there is new battery tech on the horizon, could be 500 mi range, Could be a game changer soon...

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/08/170824101804.htm

Edited by Strictly Street
  • Upvote 1

I did get a call back from the dealer, and the "awesome discount" didn't amount to much, just $2K off, which still put it $4K over the retail prices(from KBB).

There is also some fine print in the warranty on the batteries, if the bike was a factory demo(like this one), the 5-year warranty STARTS on the day the bike is delivered to the dealership, and then MAY be transferred to the purchaser....that little tidbit surprised the sales person, and I have not heard back from them....

Also, I misunderstood, the bike listed is the DS model, without the rapid charging option or the extra range the DSR model has(this bike is the DSP - Police)....

I'll probably just wait till I can kick loose the $$ for a new one....if the stars align and the job changes come about, I'll probably get Santa to put one under my tree!

PS - if the above link info comes true, we may be seeing electric vehicles hitting the really useful range of 300-500 miles, and then all bets are off!

23 minutes ago, 2Wheeler said:

So, I currently own 4 bikes and none of them come even close to a 200 mile range. 

Just curious why the electric models NEED a 500 mile range?

How quickly can you “recharge” the bikes you own, and how many places can you do it at?

• Beer 1

Quaker State night would be ok and so would the average persons commute to work. ORDN Epic rides would be out for almost all of us.

Aside from the eco perspective there doesn't seem to be an advantage to electric bikes at this time. Disadvantage is charging time and availability.

Of course as battery tech changes and there are actual charging stations available perhaps cost of ownership might come down.

I wonder how it will all shake out as electric vehicles are being promoted in every segment of the vehicle market from cars to tractor trailers.

I don't think insurance will come down though. Another curiosity would be about self driving cars and the "Who dies" algorithm as another future concern.

21 hours ago, smccrory said:

How quickly can you “recharge” the bikes you own, and how many places can you do it at?

https://www.plugshare.com/

Found this to be pretty interesting.  The "J-Style" plugs are pretty available, and a long lunch would let you charge up for an easy day trip.

• Beer 1

38 minutes ago, redbarron77 said:

https://www.plugshare.com/

Found this to be pretty interesting.  The "J-Style" plugs are pretty available, and a long lunch would let you charge up for an easy day trip.

A high school friend took his family in a Tesla across the country this summer. It took a lot of planning but he worked it out and even visited some kind of remote scenic destinations.  They had a great time. Flying airplanes is similar - lots of weather and fuel planning. Electric motorcycles would be the same.

I can’t remember if I’ve said it but I’ll own one someday. My key use case would be to own wooded property not far from town, and use an electric dirt bike to keep the noise down while tearing up my trails. 

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 1

5-6 years from now electric vehicles will be a lot more common. I expect 300+ mile range bikes with a very short recharge time (minutes) within the next 10 years. Electric motors lack the go-fast sound but make up for that in go-fast performance.

7 hours ago, Strictly Street said:

On 11/26/2017 at 12:34 PM, 2Wheeler said:

So, I currently own 4 bikes and none of them come even close to a 200 mile range. 

Just curious why the electric models NEED a 500 mile range?

Pretty spoiled with the 340+ mile range on my GSA,  but I'd love to lose all the weight, shifting, clutching, noise, power band, vibration, heat, exhaust pipes,...the list goes on...with the internal combustion engine.

I have to ride one. All the points Qman listed are reasons I love my bike. I'm not into cars that much, so make them all electric for all I care. You can have my mechanical Desmo valvetrain when you pry it from my old, arthritic hands. 

Edited by Pauly
  • Beer 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/27/2017 at 2:54 PM, Qman said:

I'd love to lose all the weight, shifting, clutching, noise, power band, vibration, heat, exhaust pipes,...the list goes on...with the internal combustion engine.

Minus the weight thing, if you took away the rest you might as well go drive an automatic base model civic! Shifting, clutching, noise, power band, vibration, heat, exhaust pipes are some of my favorite things!

• Beer 2
  • Upvote 1