WD-40...on tires!

hiro

"Clean Tires: Revive tired-looking tires by applying WD-40 and scrubbing them down with finest (0000) steel wool. Whether black-walls or white-walls, they’ll gleam with new life." Sounds like a good way to die. I guess that tip is meant for car tire sidewalls! Wait, are those car wheels?

image.png.b5479b385007678a08781cfe77a4d7dd.png

Edited by hiro

To each his own.  A few drops of dishwashing liquid in bit of water here for the tire changes.  I use the WD40 to clean my rims.  There's a guy on here that swears on the WD40 as chain lubricant. Hell, there's probably a few on here that use it on their whatever.

1 hour ago, JustinNck1 said:

I use WD40 on every set of tires I change. If you get it on the tread, it's slick for a few miles.

Justin:  Prolly not a huge issue, but I've always had a slight concern that the petroleum based WD-40 would react with the rubber at the bead.  I always sneak into the wife's pantry and "borrow" her vegetable cooking spray to use as a lubricant for mounting.  Works better than soapy water with no chance of leaving any moisture inside the carcass to cause rim corrosion and degrades quickly.  Try it--you'll like it!

• Upvote 1

WD40 is good for a lot of things, but a true mechanical lubricant it is not.  The petroleum component will work as a lubricant for a short time, but it should not be used as such in any service application, certainly not on a chain.  However, it is arguably a great chain cleaner.  The petroleum products in it break down grease and grime very well, but you should follow up by removing all residue and applying a high quality chain lube.  

I know an aircraft mechanic that got in some serious trouble using DW40 to "lubricate" control serface pivots and cable bearings on small aircraft with WD40, instead of a mil spec lubricant, as specified.  The FAA inspectors were not impressed. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, serpentracer said:

Wd40 is mostly mineral spirits.  Aka paint thinner.  Dont use it on rubber.

WD40 and it's scientists beg to differ. They actually recommend it for some rubber applications. It will simply evaporate over time. For a tire installation, it will work fine. I'm not saying No-Mar Tire Lube isn't a great product, but I've never seen any ill affects of using WD40 to install tires other than being greasy at first. (Changed over 70 tires in the last 12 months)

51 minutes ago, Connie14 said:

I have no mar tire lube and I have WD40.  I use the WD40 more often, because I can spray it. 

Thought about getting one of these for my nomar lube. https://www.amazon.com/EWK-Aluminum-Pneumatic-Refillable-Pressure/dp/B00JKED4MS/ref=pd_bxgy_86_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00JKED4MS&pd_rd_r=BNPCYEPMK55F8DS4CPG1&pd_rd_w=SsR0J&pd_rd_wg=DAmKe&psc=1&refRID=BNPCYEPMK55F8DS4CPG1

• Upvote 1

On 10/25/2017 at 3:33 PM, 2talltim said:

WD40 is basically kerosene in a can not going to hurt rubber at all. Far Cry from mineral spirits.

No its mineral spirits.  Have a wif of both.    Real tire lube actually works better too.

Edited by serpentracer

On 10/25/2017 at 3:33 PM, 2talltim said:

WD40 is basically kerosene in a can not going to hurt rubber at all. Far Cry from mineral spirits.

The catchall phrase “Stoddard Solvent” is no longer adequate to tell the proper story. WD-40® does indeed have 50% mineral spirits, but they are refined and purified for specific characteristics needed to meet today’s performance, regulator

https://wd40.com/cool-stuff/myths-legends-fun-facts

48 minutes ago, serpentracer said:

Real tire lube actually works better too.

No one ever said WD40 worked better than "Real Tire Lube". Just an alternative that works perfectly fine. Anything that can hurt the rubber will evaporate well before causing any issues. 

I buy WD by the gallon.  And go through a gallon a year, at least.  You dirt riders probably know that it's great to coat the underside of your fenders before riding in wet conditions.  Also cleans plastic very well.  I typically spray the whole bike except tires, brakes, grips, seat and levers.  Water displacement. 

1 minute ago, Ron505 said:

I buy WD by the gallon.  And go through a gallon a year, at least.  You dirt riders probably know that it's great to coat the underside of your fenders before riding in wet conditions.  Also cleans plastic very well.  I typically spray the whole bike except tires, brakes, grips, seat and levers.  Water displacement. 

I always had good luck with tire shine for inner fenders on dirt bikes. Muck-Off makes something that works really good too, but it's pricey.

4 hours ago, JustinNck1 said:

No one ever said WD40 worked better than "Real Tire Lube". Just an alternative that works perfectly fine. Anything that can hurt the rubber will evaporate well before causing any issues. 

I wonder if WD-40 vapor could do anything if trapped inside the wheel. I guess there would need to be a lot of it to have any effect if any at all.

20 minutes ago, hiro said:

I wonder if WD-40 vapor could do anything if trapped inside the wheel. I guess there would need to be a lot of it to have any effect if any at all.

WD40 vapor is probably just as toxic as Winter Air Vs Summer Air. :lol:

• Haha 1

Consider that mineral spirits is not good to gargle, but it's also not good to inhale the fumes for long. It just takes longer to have an impart. (I just bought a respirator to work with oil-based primer in the house. Two door frame in a small bathroom and I wasn't feeling so great.)