Bought a freight train

Killer_kaw

57 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

Welcome to the Sport Touring crowd. It seems like more and more people are drinking the Kool-Aid each year. :lol:

Yep. Guilty as charged. I believe you have a seat done by Terry's custom? Any complaints? I'm in the process of ordering one now

Just now, Killer_kaw said:

Yep. Guilty as charged. I believe you have a seat done by Terry's custom? Any complaints? I'm in the process of ordering one now

Only regret is I should have ordered one sooner. Terry and his wife Debbie are great to work with. I highly recommend them.

1 minute ago, 2talltim said:

My valves didn't get checked till 35k and they all were still in spec. I did adjust then to the top end of spec while I was in there but I don't plan on checking them again till 100k.  

Good to know. Guess it will all depend on how bored I get this winter. 

7 minutes ago, Killer_kaw said:

Good to know. Guess it will all depend on how bored I get this winter. 

If you do get in there over the winter. Get a new over sized front cam sensor oring from murphskits, they all leak eventually. And put very thin washers or spacers under your valve cover bolts to make it seat tighter. once you pop that cover off most of them start to leak even with a new replacement gasket. @Connie14 did the washer trick and I followed suit. Keep in mind these bike have VVT so there is a little more BS under that cover to deal with, but if I can do it any one can I suppose...lol

https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?products_id=528&osCsid=H287a4,YO7yw3pZWfOyHZ1

Edited by 2talltim

You probably won't have any valves that are too tight on your first service. Do the items that Tim mentioned above, and the Connie will be a great bike for you.  Plenty of room to bring a week's worth of stuff for a vacation, but sporty enough to have a lot of fun when you get there.  Sport touring bikes are where it's at.

Something else about the Connie, the wind protection allows riding all year long.  I rode the Connie to work in the mid to upper 30s yesterday and it was nice.  I rode the FZ1 today at 39 degrees, and it was noticeably cooler.   If you so decide,  you will not need to winterize your freight train.

Thanks fellas. I'll be sure to pick up the items you mentioned just in case. Terry has my seat so looking forward to getting it back. No doubt I'll be thru this thing pretty good over the winter I get bored and can't stop myself. I figure it's gonna be in the garage a long time to come so I may as well know my way around it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Killer_kaw said:

Thanks fellas. I'll be sure to pick up the items you mentioned just in case. Terry has my seat so looking forward to getting it back. No doubt I'll be thru this thing pretty good over the winter I get bored and can't stop myself. I figure it's gonna be in the garage a long time to come so I may as well know my way around it. 

Terry has your seat already? Wow, that's surprising he had openings that quick.

25 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

Terry has your seat already? Wow, that's surprising he had openings that quick.

It'll be a couple weeks before he gets to it but I had a spare seat so I sent one to him along with a backrest I need recovered. 

• 1 month later...

Update..... I got my seat and backrest back from Terry and couldn’t be happier with his work. Very nice job. I’ve also had the ecu flashed and the difference in throttle control is night and day, shifting is much smoother and the added engine brake makes shuffling through the quick and tight stuff much better for me. Gives the bike a much more sporty feel. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Killer_kaw said:

Update.....  I’ve also had the ecu flashed and the difference in throttle control is night and day, shifting is much smoother and the added engine brake makes shuffling through the quick and tight stuff much better for me. Gives the bike a much more sporty feel. 

Damn it now I need to spend money  :lol:

Edited by 2talltim
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Killer_kaw said:

Update..... I got my seat and backrest back from Terry and couldn’t be happier with his work. Very nice job. I’ve also had the ecu flashed and the difference in throttle control is night and day, shifting is much smoother and the added engine brake makes shuffling through the quick and tight stuff much better for me. Gives the bike a much more sporty feel. 

I love the difference in the ECU reflash on the Connie.  I have been debating doing it on an FZ1, but this time of year all of the miles will be on the Connie (great wind protection).

8 minutes ago, Killer_kaw said:

Nope. Aftermarket does have some options though. Throttle locks or Rostra electronic cruise control. I was thinking of a Rostra unit but I tend to avoid 4 lane roads if at all possible. 

I,d bet they are losing a significant amount of sales without that option.  I use cruise a lot more than I thought I would.  Just to be able to give your right hand a break, and to set a safe speed in a questionable area.  With a powerful bike like that, I think we all know how easy it is to inadvertently vary your speed.  Hit a small bump and you're 20 mph up!!

1 hour ago, Killer_kaw said:

Nope. Aftermarket does have some options though. Throttle locks or Rostra electronic cruise control. I was thinking of a Rostra unit but I tend to avoid 4 lane roads if at all possible. 

Go electronic. While its always easy to spend someone else's money I will never own a bike without it, other than a track bike. Even if you are just doing a couple of hours on the freeway coming back from a trip...it's worth it. I use mine often on long stretches of 2 lane that are not that twisty and I am just rolling along.

• Upvote 1

If I dive into the valve adjustment over the winter odds are good I’ll add the Rostra. $250-$300 seems reasonable. Shouldn’t be a bad install with all the plastic out of the way. The unit is a universal automotive type that plenty of folks have adapted to the Connie. It controls speed by way of the bikes speed sensor wire. Could most likely be adapted to a ST3 as well @Pauly