1 bike for street/track

redkow97

I started looking at mustang GT convertibles the other day, and the wife said "you may as well get a motorcycle if you're looking at convertibles with summer tires and RWD." 

Cheap is the name of the game, because it wouldn't be ridden much.  I'm realistic about that. But I'd like to do a couple of track days, or maybe even some racing.

Considering:

- EX250 (pros - cheap.  tire wear won't be an issue.  Parts are everywhere.  bulletproof.  Cons - lack of power for highway, and 2-up riding)

- EX500 (pros - cheap.  nostalgia, because it was my first bike.  I know a bit about them already. can legitimately hit 115 mph, if not quickly.  Cons - still slow.  Okay for 2-up, occassionally)

- SV650 (pros - pretty cheap.  Still fun. parts everywhere.  Cons: competitive race classes, and still not 600cc fast)

- Honda F2/F3 (pros - will accelerate as a motorcycle should.  cons - hard to find not beat to hell with 50k miles.  bodywork adds to cost - especially if crashed. multiple carburetors...)

- FZ6... starting to get too nice here.  And probably more street-friendly than I really need, given the lack of street miles it will see.

Did I miss anything?  First gen naked SV with some number plates and quick-connectors for the lights might be the ticket.

I personally wouldn't even consider the EX's. I've never ridden one but I'd venture to say the SV would blow either out of the water. I'm not sure if I've ever seen either of those at a track or race day. You are correct on the SV650 race competitiveness. A lot of those guys that race SV's are freaking fast. I still would choose an SV over an F2 or F3. The FZ6, might as well go for an older but still fuel injected r6, it would be a better platform to start imo.

Bottom line: You can find SV's cheap all day. You can find SV parts all day. SV's are fast enough.

What is your budget? Street legal bikes or track bikes with the potential to go back onto the street will always ask for more money.

Edited by TimTheAzn

CBR F4i?  sporty like 600rr but more comfy for street.  You can get adjustable rear sets probably, makes a pretty big difference.  i'm considering a hypermotard for this same basic idea except i'm not sure what to do with my vette.  i'll figure something out.

motards are awesome, until you want to take one on the highway for any distance.  I mean, I know it can be done, but then you start getting into larger bore bikes, which makes them heavier, which diminishes the fun of the bike (for me).

I would rather find a clapped out and/or crashed SV in the $1000-$1500 range than pay for someone's track prepped bike for $2,000.   Salvage title would be fine.

54 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

I personally wouldn't even consider the EX's. I've never ridden one but I'd venture to say the SV would blow either out of the water. I'm not sure if I've ever seen either of those at a track or race day. You are correct on the SV650 race competitiveness. A lot of those guys that race SV's are freaking fast. I still would choose an SV over an F2 or F3. The FZ6, might as well go for an older but still fuel injected r6, it would be a better platform to start imo.

Bottom line: You can find SV's cheap all day. You can find SV parts all day. SV's are fast enough.

What is your budget? Street legal bikes or track bikes with the potential to go back onto the street will always ask for more money.

EX500's are raced regionally.  Not as much as they used to be, but they're around, and they're fun bikes.  Slow, but fun.  Noodle chassis, but fun.  What I like about them is that beyond suspension and tires, there's not much else you can do to it...  aftermarket exhaust might yield a few extra hp on the top end, but you give up mid-range.  The stock system is heavy, but it's quiet and cheap on eBay. 

42 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

I've got a clapped out/not clapped out SV that may or may not be for sale........ Shes got some miles but shes a runner.

'03 was the first year for FI, correct?  Didn't it have some 'quirks' because of that?

I'm thinking my budget is more suited to a crashed carb'd model that someone else doesn't want to repair.  Then I just throw a number plate above a circular headlight, and cut up a belly pan from some other bike and mount it with zip ties...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

'03 was the first year for FI, correct?  Didn't it have some 'quirks' because of that?

I'm thinking my budget is more suited to a crashed carb'd model that someone else doesn't want to repair.  Then I just throw a number plate above a circular headlight, and cut up a belly pan from some other bike and mount it with zip ties...

Mine's an 03 with an 06 motor in it. GSXR750 front suspension, zx14 rear shock. GSXR750 wheelset. Bunch of other goodies.

I think the '03 holds true for honda and FI, not sure about suzuki. Actually don't quote me on either.

Edited by TimTheAzn

We will be listing Gavin's 390 from last season shortly as we're switching to the R3 for next season. Picked the new bike up at 9am this morning and on way back with it now so the 390 is on the block. PM me if seriously interested for details, pricing and included extras

12 minutes ago, MidgetTodd said:

We will be listing Gavin's 390 from last season shortly as we're switching to the R3 for next season. Picked the new bike up at 9am this morning and on way back with it now so the 390 is on the block. PM me if seriously interested for details, pricing and included extras

Heh. After seeing that video of the KTM Cup, I thought, what about a 390?

I wonder if this has any potential? https://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2008-kawasaki-ninja-ex-650/6318517832.html

2 minutes ago, hiro said:

That poor 650R... :(  "worth the repairs for someone who can handle a big fast bike."  I never considered my 650R to be in the big, fast bike category... this made me lol.

53 minutes ago, tall_tracy said:

That poor 650R... :(  "worth the repairs for someone who can handle a big fast bike."  I never considered my 650R to be in the big, fast bike category... this made me lol.

Same. Either a sales pitch or that particular person found it too powerful somehow. It's never felt like the front would come off the ground or the rear would slip, so I don't know. heh I guess it would cost a bit more to make it like this TT race winner. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf4bXFOg8JQ

16 hours ago, MidgetTodd said:

That's too nice.

Is he racing the R3 at the WERA GNF?  Winner of the R3 race gets a new R6!

2 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

That's too nice.

Is he racing the R3 at the WERA GNF?  Winner of the R3 race gets a new R6!

If we have it prepped in time. And winning the R6 isn't that simple there's more to it than winning the race on an R3. There's prequels and registration and stuff. He won't qualify for that. 

He'll be on the SV650, 390 and possibly the R3

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, jschaf said:

Just get the Mustang GT convertible. That's what you wanted in the first place.  If your wife insists you get a track bike I would suggest an R6 or GSXR 750.

I only started suggesting 'fun' cars because I don't have a bike in the garage, and can't ride to work.  I could drive a mustang a couple of times a week throughout the summer though.  The problem with a third car is storing it.  I can keep a bike in my shed, or ditch my bulky work bench and park it in front of my car.  Plus we're probably getting rid of the fridge we have in the garage, which also frees up space, but obviously not enough for a car...

I don't need or want an R6 or a 750.  I'm not looking to set lap records, and if I race any bike, even with stock suspension, I always need more improving than the equipment.  An SV is probably the ticket...  I might even run dirt bars on it, and just accept that those will be less than ideal for the track - even if that's where the bike sees more miles.

I can't decide if i'm retired from big bike racing or not.  The minis are fun to race, because it's relatively safe.  On a bigger bike, I'm not sure I want to deal with the elevated consequences of pushing myself.  It might be time to just go turn some laps in Intermediate group, hide my lap timer, and enjoy burning up knee pucks.  I wouldn't write-off riding in advanced group again, but part of me doesn't want to be tempted to try to keep up with everyone else.

For what it's worth: Last 2 years I bought "fun cars". An e36 M3 and an e39 M5. Both cars were "fun".....exceptionally fun actually.............for cars. But they never came close to scratching the "itch". I find myself wandering around Cleveland when I'm bored on the bikes. I never just randomly cruised in the bmw's. Maybe once or twice when I first got them but then it turned into, well I have to go somewhere and can't take the bike but it's still nice out so I'll take the fun car.

So far, I've always found myself going back to 2 wheels. And right now I'm plumb out of room for anything else or I'd be thinking about getting another M5 again, man that was a great car, don't think I'll ever own a better car.

Chris, come be an I group hero with myself and a few others its a good time.