Considering Android

ScubaCinci

I've been using an iPhone since their second version and I'm considering maybe switching up to Android :wtf: I'm on the fence about it.

I'd just kind of like to just to change things up. In my mind, only a handful of downsides...
- I'll have to re-buy some apps. There are a few that I use regularly that aren't on Android but there are alternatives.
- won't work with my Apple watch as well (i.e. I lose a lot of functionality)
- Most of my friends/family have iPhones so I lose some functionality with them with iMessage, find my friends (I use this a lot with my wife to see if she's left work yet or not because she works late a lot), etc.
- I like that I can back up my phone to iTunes and if something happens I can restore it like nothing happened
- I have an Apple store close by that I can go to if I have issues.
- I have an iPad, Apple TV, MacBook Pro but that doesn't really impact the phone I use other than data synching across the devices. I also have a Surface Pro and a PC so I'm not 100% Apple.

Maybe there are alternatives/solutions/mitigations to the above downsides and if I'm ever going to switch, I have to start sometime to extricate myself from their ecosystem.

I'm not unhappy with my 7+ at all, I just like to change things up sometimes. I had an android burner phone briefly when I drowned my iPhone and wasn't thrilled with it but it was an older model phone (even at that time) and I literally used it for 3 weeks.

Any other considerations and/or phone model recommendations? At this point I'd likely go with the Pixel 2 XL or the Samsung Galaxy S8+ or Note. The new Samsung's are nice but I like the fact that the Google phones are an unmodified OS where Samsung et al use customized flavors of the OS. Though it's disappointing that the Pixel 2 doesn't support memory cards which is the biggest feature iPhone's lack.

8 minutes ago, ScubaCinci said:

At this point I'd likely go with the Pixel 2 XL or the Samsung Galaxy S8+ or Note.

I would go Pixel, that way you get the security updates the instant they come out, first Monday of the month. Sammy is usually 2 months behind, plus you for sure get the newest OS's from Google for at least two years. That is usually not true of the other manufacturers, it's a crap shoot. Camera on the Pixel's kill everything else now, including the Sammy's and the iPhones.

Plus you can root it and block the shitty ads and trackers that @Casper uses here.

• Upvote 2

As someone who switched from Iphone to Android, I will say there are some growing pains when transitioning.(Like getting rid of your iMessage account stuff so other iphones recognize you can no longer accept iMessage) Biggest issue I see from your list is the Apple Watch compatibility. They make great android watches, it just sucks since you already invested in the Apple Watch. I am rocking the S8+ right now, had a Note5 before that, and LG G Series before that. I am very happy with the Samsung products. Being that your a techie guy, I see where you will enjoy the customization abilities of the android. The one plus of the new phone plans, no contract is locking you in for 2 years so worse case scenario, you pay off the phone and switch back, sell the phone to recoup any losses.

1 minute ago, JustinNck1 said:

The one plus of the new phone plans, no contract is locking you in for 2 years so worse case scenario, you pay off the phone and switch back, sell the phone to recoup any losses.

Yeah, I thought of that...I would just lose some continuity in apps that don't carry over. The biggest of which is a financial account ledger app. Losing Apple watch funcitonality is pretty big because I use it to track my steps which syncs to my phone and is reported to a company called RedBrick my health insurance is tied to. If I do enough activity daily, I earn credits towards my healthcare premiums which saves me $500 annually. I'm probably do the same with a Samsung watch but I'd have to buy one...

20 minutes ago, ScubaCinci said:

- I like that I can back up my phone to iTunes and if something happens I can restore it like nothing happened

You can pretty much do that with an Android phone. Only thing you might lose is your text messages. Music, apps, photos...all come back down right away.

Another advantage of the Pixel is you get unlimited photo storage for free.

If you're already heavily in the apple space, why go over to android?

For reference, I have never had an iphone and my next phone will probably be a galaxy s8+ or a pixel 2, though leaning towards a galaxy. The pixel 2 has the same specs but is smaller with a worse display for about the same amount of money; the camera is better, that's about it. It also lacks a headphone jack. Google was originally going with the snapdragon 836 processor with the Pixel 2 but I guess it wasn't ready so they settled on the 835 which is the exact processor Samsung used in the S8/Note8. I badly need a new phone (Samsung Note 3 right now!) but I'm trying to hold off until black Friday to see what Samsung does with pricing to compete with the iPhone8/Pixel 2 launches. 

Just to change things up...same reason I lease cars - because I like to get something different every few years. I'm a gadget/techie so the openness of the Android platform appeals to me but the practical side of me says the same thing, if it ain't broke don't fix it. There's nothing particularly compelling for switching.

In today's world, its an investment! The cost of the device can be the small part. I think your biggest issue is going to get everyone else to accept the fact that are not using Imessage and all the apple products. Apple was actually sued over this issue, and there are now procedures in place to make sure you can switch over. 

But here on android the messaging and video calls is quite broken still. Txt messages I use the messenger app on the phone. Video stuff, or to send photos i really try to do everything in Facebook Messenger now. Just seems to work better and works across all platforms and everyone has it.

The location tracking is not an issue, I continually share my location to my wife with google maps (and vise-versa) and at any time we can view it.  

Its easier than ever to make the switch. But be forewarned, do not get a cheap android phone and expect Iphone performance. 

Now im using a Oneplus 5 (also had a Oneplus 3), and I used an S8 for some time also. The Samsung line is great, but felt just a little sluggish for me, considering the price of the phone, so i switch back to Oneplus. My wife is using an S8+ now. No one can top their screens. Also the samsung camera is awesome.  

Use to use the Next line of devices and can say anything from google is also top notch products. 

I have a Galaxy S6 and it still works just as good as the day i got it. No issues with battery or performance. Before that i had an S4 with same results. 

I might upgrade next year as i see no reason to yet. Our phones are still great for what we do with them.

3 minutes ago, Tonik said:

BTW, if you go Pixel do NOT get it from Verizon. It will be bootloader locked. Get it from Google. You can also get some killer deals on the Pixel 1 right now.

That's good to know. One of the reasons I'm looking at the Pixel 2 is for the better camera. The camera quality is a big factor for me.

If you're just wanting to track steps, the GearFit 2 for the galaxy series works pretty well. I had one that I got for free when I had my note 7 ( Still the best damn phone I've ever had ) and it sent/received texts, alerts for phone calls, tracked steps/activity, and the Samsung Health app wasn't horrible. 

IMO, Android and iPhone are 97% the same.  I'd give a slight advantage to Android tech but it isn't enough to be meaningful.  Despite the marketing, they do the same things.

My personal phones have been Androids, my work phone is an iPhone.  I could live with either.

I will say Apple people kind of annoy me...not people that own them, the fanatics annoy me.  Not sure if I've ever met and Android fanatic, they'd probably annoy me too ;)  

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, ScubaCinci said:

That's good to know. One of the reasons I'm looking at the Pixel 2 is for the better camera. The camera quality is a big factor for me.

If camera matters hands down go pixel 2 or note 8. 

One thing i enjoy more about android is home screen/s customization. I have a weather widget that shows the time, date, current weather with high/low, battery percentage and next alarm. You can add a bunch of other info as well if you want. I can also put the apps where i please and have a monthly calendar as well. 

My wife just got an iphone for work and we found out you can't do any of that. It's all apps sorted from the top. But they were showing us some cool stuff you can do at the apple store that android doesn't do too. 

So it all comes down to what you want. I prefer android but that's more about my hatred of itunes when it first came out and the overpriced PCs with irreplaceable components. 

Screenshot_20171013-145113.png

Screenshot_20171013-145129.png

Edited by ludwb675

Honestly, customization of the home screen doesn't do anything for me. I can show a lot of those things on my watch if I want as a complication but I don't have it display anything but the date and time. Occasionally when I travel, I'll add another time zone clock to show but that's about it. iOS does have something similar but it requires a swipe to see it (phone can still be locked) so not quite as handy.

All i know is i gave my employer their iphone back and use my personal samsung android phone for work instead.  It felt locked down as if it were a toy.  I dont like anything about the iphone. I also gave them the ipad back.  I dont see how anyone with any kind of pc experience likes  apple products. The frigging ipad they gave me didnt even include a calculator.  And there was only 1 free one to choose in their app store.  Yall can keep your apple garbage

Edited by serpentracer

On 10/13/2017 at 12:01 PM, motocat12 said:

Do you have anyone close who's Android  phone you use? Maybe get a cheapo $20 pre paid one and try it out side be side for a while. cheap insurance & can still use it as a throwaway wifi and apps ,video later.

The cheap phones are not the same.  They have different os's and missing tons of features.  

This is interesting, as I'm considering going to Apple.  Wife and kids all have Apple and my extended family all have Apple on the wife's side.   My parents and brother are android but are so incommunicado they could have Windows phones for all it matters.

Got a 2014 vintage Motorola MotoX that is similar to the Google phones in that it Moto was owned by Google at the time (I think) and so the OS is pretty clean.  Or so the story goes.  It's got actual wood on the back too.  (ooooooh aaaaaaah) But much as I like the phone, battery life is getting low and I didn't get enough memory when I bought the damn thing.  

Was thinking about the iPhone with the most memory possible.  Probably cost twice what I paid for my first car.  Bunch of cash.  To a non-tech, OS indifferent dork like me - it's basically just a bunch of icons on a piece of glass.  But a big screen on a medium-sized phone with a good camera would be nice.  

2 minutes ago, DAC said:

This is interesting, as I'm considering going to Apple.  Wife and kids all have Apple and my extended family all have Apple on the wife's side.   My parents and brother are android but are so incommunicado they could have Windows phones for all it matters.

Got a 2014 vintage Motorola MotoX that is similar to the Google phones in that it Moto was owned by Google at the time (I think) and so the OS is pretty clean.  Or so the story goes.  It's got actual wood on the back too.  (ooooooh aaaaaaah) But much as I like the phone, battery life is getting low and I didn't get enough memory when I bought the damn thing.  

Was thinking about the iPhone with the most memory possible.  Probably cost twice what I paid for my first car.  Bunch of cash.  To a non-tech, OS indifferent dork like me - it's basically just a bunch of icons on a piece of glass.  But a big screen on a medium-sized phone with a good camera would be nice.  

I don't see myself paying $1000ish for a phone anytime soon.  I also don't like contracts with the carriers so I guess that I am stuck with shit hardware.  :(   Right now I am running a Nexus 6.  I've been looking for something new because even after a factory reset the phone is slow as hell.