Insurance & Track Days

blue-yamaR6s

After watching 2 street bikes get wadded up this past weekend doing a track day, I would bet most people putting their nice street bike on the track don't know they are not covered for damages to their bike if you lose it.  I was under the mis-information that I was covered by my own insurance company as of last year, but after calling the insurance company and pressing them more, they told me this time it's not covered when on a closed track circuit. This takes all the fun out of doing the occasional track day with the street bike.  I would like to know what others do when going to the occasional track day. I know there are companies out there that will insure a bike/rider for track days at various levels but I have not priced it out. I saw some pretty new bikes out there on the track that were still street bikes. I would hate to throw it down and have a hard time "eating" the cost to repair it especially if I still owed payments. What about medical insurance too? I could see some insurance companies excluding extreme sports like motorcycle track days and sky diving, etc. from their coverage.

I think I will start by looking for a "track bike" that isn't so nice and use it instead?  Maybe the cost of fixing it isn't worth the premiums?  Any other ideas?  Insurance companies suck!

I bought a dedicated track bike (and then sold my street bike two years later). Kinda wish i would have just used that as the track bike from the beginning as it probably would have saved me some cash. Either way I don't carry any insurance on the track bike. 

Not sure how medical works for everyone but when i went off the track, medical covered everything except my deductible. Ambulance ride, ct scan, xray, doctor and room cost. Looking back i'm not sure most of that was necessary but i had a concussion at the time and at some point mentioned a sore hip. I'm assuming it all depends on your plan and carrier. 

I guess your bike could just happen to fall off the trailer on the way home too. 

I've only ever done trackdays on my street bikes, but I'm just a lowly novice rider and only push to within the limits I feel that particular day....but I'm not saying you ride beyond your skillset, nor that I know what my limits are until I come close to exceeding them.   That said, I'd probably never even attempt to claim damages from a crash on track as I accepted all of that liability in advance.   If it ever happens I may question my agent about it since coverage is likely just however they were to code the claim - but skeptical they'd cover damages in that scenario.   That could be how it's worded to the agent, as well.....but without a police report, would probably fall under comprehensive anyway.

As for medical, I carried Aflac along side my health insurance to help buffer any additional injury.....but just for peace of mind for little money.

I'm pretty sure "riding schools" are covered by insurance. Not sure about orgs like N2/STT and whether or not they count as schools/rider education or are just seen as track days/racing. I guess I should call progressive and see what they say at some point. It's only like $60/month to fully insure the CBR and Street Triple and both are used on the street, though the CBR probably won't see much use on Ohio roads. 

One of the biggest reasons I got a track bike in the first place was I wanted something that wouldn't cost me my ass if/when I crashed. I didn't want to deal with repairing my street bike and take the resale hit once I decided to sell it if it had a rebuild/salvage title. 

2 minutes ago, blue03636 said:

I would call your insurance company and ask about instructional classes. Most will cover novice no problem as they are typically called out as instructional days.

I did and this time they told me if it was held on a race track, I would not be covered. Time to shop around again for insurance.

1 hour ago, ludwb675 said:

I bought a dedicated track bike (and then sold my street bike two years later). Kinda wish i would have just used that as the track bike from the beginning as it probably would have saved me some cash. Either way I don't carry any insurance on the track bike. 

Not sure how medical works for everyone but when i went off the track, medical covered everything except my deductible. Ambulance ride, ct scan, xray, doctor and room cost. Looking back i'm not sure most of that was necessary but i had a concussion at the time and at some point mentioned a sore hip. I'm assuming it all depends on your plan and carrier. 

I guess your bike could just happen to fall off the trailer on the way home too. 

Falling off the trailer is a good idea as long as they don't want a police report.

Edited by blue-yamaR6s

13 minutes ago, blue03636 said:

Last crash I had I never got a police report. Nothing was damaged other than my bike so no need to get one.

+1 no police report on my wreck on 536. Although I would be hesitant to commit insurance fraud for the cost of a track bike.

2 hours ago, Tonik said:

+1 no police report on my wreck on 536. Although I would be hesitant to commit insurance fraud for the cost of a track bike.

It's sure not worth it, although I have heard others say it under their breath. I would not risk it myself and my bike is not new enough or worth a whole lot by any stretch. The insurance company said if it was a class held in a parking lot, they would cover it. That would be a tip over, basically.

Start doing some research. Almost no normal insurance company is going to cover you on a track, probably not even a paddock. On top of that Your health insurance is probably not going to cover you if you get hurt and your personal liability insurance isn’t going to cover it you hurt someone else at a track day. 

2 hours ago, zx3vfr said:

Start doing some research. Almost no normal insurance company is going to cover you on a track, probably not even a paddock. On top of that Your health insurance is probably not going to cover you if you get hurt and your personal liability insurance isn’t going to cover it you hurt someone else at a track day. 

Buddy just wadded his brand new R1-S at PIRC in advanced when he lost his brakes. (Overheated his fluid) --  Fully covered by his insurance company. 

K&N's insurance company covered my crash at Mid-Ohio. 

Quite a few insurance companies do cover instructional schools on closed courses.  You just need to ask them.  Some will even give you a discount for taking them :)

When I met with my health insurance representative (years ago) as I was getting quoted for health insurance, they asked if I rode a motorcycle and I put yes, which increased my premium a few dollars.  When I asked him why they asked about riding a motorcycle he replied that, motorcycling is dangerous so your premium goes up slightly to account for that.  I'm assuming this means they would cover you if you got hurt on the bike. 

I personally wouldn't have a track bike worth enough money for me to want to insure it. No insurance on mine. Plus I'm not even sure some track bikes are even insurable because of lack of titles, previous damage, etc.

Funny thing is, my track bike is worth more than double my street bike. But the street bike has insurance because of the law and all of that jazz.

5 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

I personally wouldn't have a track bike worth enough money for me to want to insure it. No insurance on mine. Plus I'm not even sure some track bikes are even insurable because of lack of titles, previous damage, etc.

This is why if I had the funds I would have a dedicated track bike... just some cheap heap that I could not worry about anything happening to it.

1 hour ago, DerekClouser said:

Buddy just wadded his brand new R1-S at PIRC in advanced when he lost his brakes. (Overheated his fluid) --  Fully covered by his insurance company. 

Quite a few insurance companies do cover instructional schools on closed courses.  You just need to ask them.  Some will even give you a discount for taking them :)

When I met with my health insurance representative (years ago) as I was getting quoted for health insurance, they asked if I rode a motorcycle and I put yes, which increased my premium a few dollars.  When I asked him why they asked about riding a motorcycle he replied that, motorcycling is dangerous so your premium goes up slightly to account for that.  I'm assuming this means they would cover you if you got hurt on the bike. 

Unless I'm mistaken the only real way to boil your brake fluid unless you're doing something crazy is to have old stuff with water/moisture trapped inside. Weird for a brand new bike... leftover 2015/2016 with old fluid sitting at dealer?

28 minutes ago, what said:

Unless I'm mistaken the only real way to boil your brake fluid unless you're doing something crazy is to have old stuff with water/moisture trapped inside. Weird for a brand new bike... leftover 2015/2016 with old fluid sitting at dealer?

If you run it at the full line I have had real bad fade issues. There isn't enough room to expand. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DerekClouser said:

Dereck, find out his insurance company and pm me. I would like to shop around.