Gggggrrrreeeeaaaattttt........another Harley..........

modular

The brakes work :). The bike as a whole was a complete surprise when I test rode it. Slip on, air filter kit with modded air box cover and a FP3 with 3 tanks of auto tune and it runs out well. They even went with proper 17" wheels to open up a very good selection in tires when the time comes. 

39 minutes ago, modular said:

The brakes work :). The bike as a whole was a complete surprise when I test rode it. Slip on, air filter kit with modded air box cover and a FP3 with 3 tanks of auto tune and it runs out well. They even went with proper 17" wheels to open up a very good selection in tires when the time comes. 

How do you like the riding position?  Reviews were pretty critical of the footpeg placement.

Since I have a '10 XR1200 in the garage I can tell you this bike is better in every way. Even the selling price was cheaper. :D This bike has nothing in common with the Sportsters.

Edited by modular

40 minutes ago, modular said:

Since I have a '10 XR1200 in the garage I can tell you this bike is better in every way. Even the selling price was cheaper. :D This bike has nothing in common with the Sportsters.

Like you, I have a VRSCR.  The new street rod looks sporty by HD standards, but a little less so than competitors like the FZ07 or the Triumph Street Twin.

Personally, I like the look of it, but couldn't live with foot peg position or the stock bars. 

I guess since I am 5'7" this bike fits me just fine. Despite my crappy hips I don't cramp up at all on long rides even with the drag bar and oddly placed pegs. What can I say. I like H-D's. The models I have just seem to be the bastard children of the brand. I like not crossing paths with another that I happen to be riding. 

42 minutes ago, modular said:

I guess since I am 5'7" this bike fits me just fine. Despite my crappy hips I don't cramp up at all on long rides even with the drag bar and oddly placed pegs. What can I say. I like H-D's. The models I have just seem to be the bastard children of the brand. I like not crossing paths with another that I happen to be riding. 

I'm not really into hds even though I have one.  The ones you have are actually the ones I find most interesting due to being one the sporty end of the hd range.

I was in the local BMW dealer a couple months ago, there was an older guy checking out the bikes.  He was actually turned away by dual disks!  ...."You know these bikes have too much power when they have 2 front brakes!"

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Installed a R&G radiator grille guard and rid the bike of the huge plastic piece as well as a Free Spirits sprocket cover. Looking to drop as much weight off the bike as possible. I have Oberon looking into adjustable levers having sent the requested pics. Barrett has an upgraded clutch with 15% stiffer springs and kevlar plates for better performance out of the clutch. S&S just released a Stealth intake kit that is on the way. Not overly happy with the performance of the FP3. I have been in contact with FuelMoto on getting a base tune for the Power Vision. They have yet to have a SR in house for a tuning session. Dunlop Q3 Plus Sportmax tires to be installed soon.

IMG_0500_zpsi5vy5kk5.jpg

IMG_0496_zpsgzgoink0.jpg

IMG_0503_zpsxq8h94jn.jpg

Edited by modular

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ordered up a custom built pair of Hagon 2810 adjustable damping rear shock.....all black. They are being built with a 15" eye to eye and the conventional way installing a divider in the reservoir. They normally have the adjuster/chrome rod in the down/upside down position. Truly a custom build. All for $225! I'll be gaining some lean angle and quickening the steering. I did the same thing to my XR1200 with Works shocks but that are out of business.

All the usual folks have rear shocks for the lower sitting Street.......but nothing for the higher riding/better handling Street Rod. Almost every manufacturer thought they were the same thing......nope. The Street 500/750 have an eye to eye measurement of 12.7". The Street Rod has an eye to eye measurement of 14". Only two manufacturers's even offered a 15" eye to eye shock. Hagon has experience with the Street Rod.

I also have a set of Dunlop Sportmax Q3+'s and Oberon foot pegs going on. Can't wait till spring!!!!

One nice thing with having 7/8" bars is it opens up the possibility of using other parts other than super expensive Harley only items. Case in point-universal 7/8" clutch and brake levers. Black and grey, just like my SR. No one makes replacement CNC'd replacement adjustable levers for the SR as they have different levers than the Street. These would work on all Streets I believe. $45 off eBay. They are the only set I could find that didn't have the mirror perches cast into the housing. Instead, they come with a second set of bar clamps with them cast in. 

Updated pic with the S&S Stealth A/C kit installed.

IMG_0534_zpskhloozva.jpg

IMG_0525_zpsjdmyc1mk.jpg

IMG_0519_zpsg5hzibek.jpg

Edited by modular

I do believe H-D has seen at least a bit of the light and is glacially coming around to re-working their lineup. My XR750A, XR1200 and VRSCR are the 3 Harley's I have that folks who prefer anything but a Harley seem to even remotely accept. 

Scooter, I think you are right, HD is making some changes in the right direction.  Realizing that they can't just put out the same stuff decade after decade, and as long as it's air cooled and makes the potato potato sound they'll sell all they can build. 

Most of my friends with whom I've ridden sport bikes for 25+ years all have HD touring rigs now - I seem to be the last adrenaline junkie left in our group.  They love their $22k couches on wheels (their words, not mine).  I've ridden their bikes - they're comfortable and sound cool, but too big, slow, and expensive for my tastes.  And honestly they all look alike to me.

The XR's, like yours, look sweet.  Now if they could just get at least 130hp at the wheel out of that V-twin I might be tempted to "buy amuricin".

Speaking of HD motors, the V-Rod motor is a great engine.  One of my best friends bought one the first year they came out, and he turned it into a drag bike, ran the AHDRA circuit, won his class championship with it one year.  Don't remember what class he ran, but the bike was stock framed, pretty tweaked motor, and he ran high 9's with it.  And I found a pic of his bike, for grins:

larrys vrod.jpg

Custom Hagon 2810 shocks installed. Took less than 3 weeks from order to in my hands. Built to my specs. These are a bit over 1" longer eye to eye (15.125") than the OEM units. Dunlop Q3+'s up next. Can't wait for spring. 

And the last pic........I am working with Moroso on plug wires. Working on fitment and build. Super secret squirrel stuff and all. :D

IMG_0667_zpsjfci5dsw.jpg

IMG_0666_zpsium1inct.jpg

IMG_0668_zpsy4oyhkhp.jpg

IMG_0669_zps7ccbpypr.jpg

IMG_0670_zpsivsk2bjx.jpg

IMG_0639_zpspyshai20.jpg

Edited by modular