Giving up riding: is it even possible?

NinjaDoc

Pointing at random shit like @Tonik ?

I like that game. 

As far as insurance goes, I have no idea how rates are affected by tickets/accidents/etc. I've been very fortunate in that regard. 

Edited by what
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, redkow97 said:

there aren't enough eye-rolls on the internet for this...

Oh brother!. You probably have a distorted opinion of me because of that.  So be it.  Never ran from the cops, merely maintained the pace..  If I see flashy lights in my rearview & the cop is going in the same direction I am I pull over.   This rarely happens. FUATHYRIO.

Edited by jschaf
  • Beer 1

On 10/12/2017 at 2:10 PM, jbot said:

HAHA @Tpoppa he just called you OLD  HAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

I didn't call him anything.  I implied he was lower risk than a 20 yr old on a sport bike.  Who here disagrees with that?

On 10/12/2017 at 6:31 PM, jschaf said:

Oh brother!. You probably have a distorted opinion of me because of that.  So be it.  Never ran from the cops, merely maintained the pace..  If I see flashy lights in my rearview & the cop is going in the same direction I am I pull over.   This rarely happens. FUATHYRIO.

You said "Seems like most every ride I went on this summer I had to ditch the cops."  In the context you used it, does "ditch" not imply that you ran from police "almost every ride (you) went on this summer"?

I'm not prepared to formulate any kind of opinion of you from two posts, but it appears as though you exaggerated, and now want to walk back your initial statement after I pointed out its  absurdity.

Working on my house to sell it has kept me off the bike for a while. I never noticed dust settling on the bike before. Sometimes I almost don't care, but I know I will sometime in the future. And I recently donated my car, so the bike is really my only vehicle right now! Maybe if I rode with other people I'd miss it more. What I do miss is the feeling of acceleration which our cars always lack. Especially the way the throttle stands the bike up coming out of a turn. I also explore more on a bike because I don't care for driving much. Still, sometime I don't care, and that makes me wonder if it's depression or something. I do seem to get seasonal blues. (When Blues is your happy music, you know something is wrong. heh) Anyway, I guess riding is like a relationship; it doesn't have to be pure passion and excitement all the time.

22 hours ago, redkow97 said:

I didn't call him anything.  I implied he was lower risk than a 20 yr old on a sport bike.  Who here disagrees with that?

it was a joke.  the emphasis was on just calling him old because he old as fuuuuuuck, and less on accusing you of any wrong doing.  you were just an innocent bystander.  i will send flowers

• Beer 1

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 2:35 PM, redkow97 said:

You said "Seems like most every ride I went on this summer I had to ditch the cops."  In the context you used it, does "ditch" not imply that you ran from police "almost every ride (you) went on this summer"?

I'm not prepared to formulate any kind of opinion of you from two posts, but it appears as though you exaggerated, and now want to walk back your initial statement after I pointed out its  absurdity.

No exaggeration.  The 9 of the 14 the rides I went on this summer I passed a cop going the other way at 80+ in a 55. Don't know what they did after that. There is a lot more law enforcement on the nice roads of southern Ohio than there was a dozen years ago. I was just trying to convey this to my friend Nivin., the OP.  You obiously are not a street rider so this doesn't pertain to you. You don't ride with us & have never ridden with us, so unless you do plan on riding with us you have credibility problems with me. Not looking for your approval.

Cops are a nature of the beast when riding aggressively on the street. I don't run, I got a ticket this year in northern Ohio. He had his lights on before I went past him. I paid my fun tax and moved on. 21k miles so far this year, and I have had very few encounters where I was worried about cops.

No one ever really quits riding unless they have an injury that prevents them from riding, or are scared out of riding from an injury or close call. 

The only person I have ever heard of who quit riding because he or she didn't like it is Jay Dobbins.  He wrote "No Angel," a dramatized true account of his time spent under cover investigating the Hells Angels.  (if my memory is correct, I typed that right, without an apostrophe.  He explains that the club believes there are multiple kinds of hell, so it's plural, but not possessive).  Anyway, it's a good read if you like Sons of Anarchy.  I'm a little surprised he didn't sue the show's creators, actually.  But Jay Dobbins rode thousands of miles a year for several years straight, then parked his motorcycle in the garage and hasn't touched it.  He said he hates riding.

16 hours ago, jschaf said:

No exaggeration.  The 9 of the 14 the rides I went on this summer I passed a cop going the other way at 80+ in a 55. Don't know what they did after that. There is a lot more law enforcement on the nice roads of southern Ohio than there was a dozen years ago. I was just trying to convey this to my friend Nivin., the OP.  You obiously are not a street rider so this doesn't pertain to you. You don't ride with us & have never ridden with us, so unless you do plan on riding with us you have credibility problems with me. Not looking for your approval.

Jim what roads were you on? I agree with @Tpoppa I typically don’t see any LEOs except on highways and towns where the speed is below 55. I did earn a mandatory donation this year on 22 where it is only 2 lane but I was not necessarily shocked to see a state boy patrolling there. 

2 hours ago, redkow97 said:

No one ever really quits riding unless they have an injury that prevents them from riding, or are scared out of riding from an injury or close call

I mean I quit riding mainly from lack of time and boredom :dunno:

44 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

You quit, or  you stopped?  You're still on this site, and you consider getting another bike once a year.  Are you really done?

damn you lawyer! I supposed stop is accurate. I will likely own a bike again one day even if that's a far away day.

25 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Ahh, but will you actually ride it?

well that would be the only reason I'd own one again. 75% of the reason I sold the VFR was because I wasn't riding it enough to justify keeping it

1 minute ago, Bad324 said:

well that would be the only reason I'd own one again. 75% of the reason I sold the VFR was because I wasn't riding it enough to justify keeping it

It was paid off..... you just couldn't justify that money burning a hole in your pocket with twins on the way.

Edit: And you never rode it. 

Edited by TimTheAzn

Just now, TimTheAzn said:

It was paid off..... you just couldn't justify that money burning a hole in your pocket with twins on the way.

I sold the VFR like 6 months before finding out about the twins

Just now, jbot said:

i wouldn't trust anything out of the mouth of someone who likes C5 vettes, C7 vettes, but not C6 vettes.  that's a bright red flag for crazy if I ever saw one.

psh I never said I didn't like them just that I much prefer the C7 and C5 based solely on looks

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 1:08 PM, durk said:

Jim what roads were you on? I agree with @Tpoppa I typically don’t see any LEOs except on highways and towns where the speed is below 55. I did earn a mandatory donation this year on 22 where it is only 2 lane but I was not necessarily shocked to see a state boy patrolling there. 

83 near Millersburg & 800 anywhere around Woodsfield are the worst. The most recent was on 556.  I thought we were in the clear because we were in a slow blind corner going about 50 in a 55 when the sheriff went by going the other way. I even gave B-Mac the thumbs up.  We continued on another 10 miles or so & I stopped to look at a map.  B-Mac said something like "what are you doing? He's coming",  (Somebody must have called us in) so I didn't get a chance to look at the map.  This year has been the worst one for this so far.  Maybe it's just me & my bad karma. Maybe it's just random, but it's not like they're not out there. Maybe next year will be better. Seriously looking into good radar detectors.  The guys I've been seeing aren't laser guys.