Giving up riding: is it even possible?

NinjaDoc

When I felt our street riding was getting too risky Ryan convinced me to go to the track. There I could push myself and the bike and not worry as much about the consequences and I always felt at home on the track. Even on a mild street ride I would think "if a deer hopped out of these trees id be fucked". On the track all I think of is what I am doing, when do I need to get on the brake, off the brake, move my body etc.... they are totally different experiances for me. 

We have had 2 kids since I started riding on the track and of course in the back of my mind is the question "is this something I should be doing". 

Im not sure if it is to be honest, I would do alot more sprint races if it werent for the family situation but track days and endurance racing are less intense and I feel like that could be a good balance. I am in a position now where I have a camper and the wife and kids can go to the track and hang out for the weekend, go somewhere for a few days afterwards which is awesome. 

To be honest I fear the day that I cant ride anymore. I cant think of anything on earth that can give you the rush this sport does, to feel the bike moving around under you, slide the rear tire on the brakes just to the point of turn in, knee down and roll on the throttle to accelerate out of a turn. When you know you nailed a corner to the best of your ability there is nothing like it, everything just flows. I cant think of anything that can take the place of that feeling, or a way to describe it. 

I know of alot of people who have dropped off because of kids or jobs and I never understood how you could give up something like that. Maybe when its time for me to give it up I will understand, but for now im looking forward to next year. 

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, jbot said:

right now, i'm too involved in making sure my kids start better than I did, that I'm present (really truly present) for everything while they're young

I've eliminated some big things for that exact reason.  I sold a successful business because it took away too much time and just couldn't be my priority anymore.

You still need things for yourself, but kids absolutely come first.    

• Beer 2
  • Upvote 1

No kids, no commitments outside M-F work week, and 4+ weeks of vacation. I devote almost all my free time to motorcycling. Probably explains my bias and struggle to comprehend giving up motorcycling. I am truly not sure what I would do without it.

My wife likes coming to the track to hang out, and my son loves everything bikes. Walks around the paddock saying vroom vrooom. My Daughter is 3 months old so she doesnt get a say.

Im in a great position for now I guess. My in-laws stop out as does my family. 

3 minutes ago, Jester_ said:

My wife likes coming to the track to hang out, and my son loves everything bikes. Walks around the paddock saying vroom vrooom. My Daughter is 3 months old so she doesnt get a say.

Im in a great position for now I guess. My in-laws stop out as does my family. 

Harper probably has the most say out of anyone right now.:lol:

Shes such an easy going baby. 

On the way back from virginia beach last week we stopped once for diesel and let Liam burn off some energy then made it the whole way home without stopping. They both do real well in the truck.

I would have had to stop 3 times for @TRMN8TR to piss. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jester_ said:

Shes such an easy going baby. 

On the way back from virginia beach last week we stopped once for diesel and let Liam burn off some energy then made it the whole way home without stopping. They both do real well in the truck.

I would have had to stop 3 times for @TRMN8TR to piss. 

Trucker-bomb!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, JustinNck1 said:

No kids, no commitments outside M-F work week, and 4+ weeks of vacation. I devote almost all my free time to motorcycling. Probably explains my bias and struggle to comprehend giving up motorcycling. I am truly not sure what I would do without it.

You're thinking of it backward.  Other things pop up.  Kids are the most common thing that pops up, but when other things start to occupy your time, that leaves less for riding.  It may or may not correspond to a diminished desire to ride.

I still love riding, I just value my time more.

"time with the kids" isn't a tangible thing.  I'm not starting a stop watch, or directly interacting with my kids every moment I would otherwise have spent riding, but being around is important.  My oldest would beg me to "give (her) 10 pushes" when I let the lawn mower shut off to pick up some dog shit.  I'm not making her my primary focus when I'm cutting the lawn, but she'll remember I was there, and that I gave her a push (or 10) when I had the chance.  Most recently, I offered to push her on the swing while my wife finished up dinner.  I took her outside, and was promptly told, "no dad, I can do it myself now!"  And she showed me that she can swing on her own.  Being "around" for that stuff is as important as reading to her and making puzzles, etc.

Mine's going to be 4 in January, so she'll actually remember this stuff for the rest of her life pretty soon...  That's why I took her to the MotoAmerica round, and why she'll come watch me race mountain bikes, if not motorcycles for the next few years. 

I won't ever completely turn my back on riding, but it will have to shift into a family-driven activity.    I already have loose plans for a 10+ day camping trip with the oldest on the back of a tourer, and a cross-country trip when she's old enough to pilot a 250.

Nivin,  You have legitimate questions here.  I like to ride.  I like to ride fast.  The track doesn't really do it for me with the regimentation of 20 minutes on, 40 minutes off, same corners over & over again. I realize riding the street at the pace I enjoy is pretty risky with all the things that are beyond my control such as deer, morons putting their cars in my path, etc., etc, etc. Seems like most every ride I went on this summer I had to ditch the cops & I don't really enjoy that either. Most all the guys I used to ride with don't ride (at least street pace) anymore & Sport Rider magazine is going out of business. I'm not a happy camper as of late.  I'm going out looking at enduro bikes this weekend but I don't know if that's the answer either.  Please let me know what you come up with on this.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, jschaf said:

Nivin,  You have legitimate questions here.  I like to ride.  I like to ride fast.  The track doesn't really do it for me with the regimentation of 20 minutes on, 40 minutes off, same corners over & over again. I realize riding the street at the pace I enjoy is pretty risky with all the things that are beyond my control such as deer, morons putting their cars in my path, etc., etc, etc. Seems like most every ride I went on this summer I had to ditch the cops & I don't really enjoy that either. Most all the guys I used to ride with don't ride (at least street pace) anymore & Sport Rider magazine is going out of business. I'm not a happy camper as of late.  I'm going out looking at enduro bikes this weekend but I don't know if that's the answer either.  Please let me know what you come up with on this.

I really have no idea what I'll be doing next year on two wheels.  Of the three bikes in my garage right now, I'm not sure if I'll own all or none of them next year.

75% chance I'll buy brand new in the spring, just not sure what.

Edited by Tpoppa
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

Prison is cheaper than rent. Theft is cheaper than taxes.  Where are you going with that argument?  ;-)

I consider speeding tickets the price of admission to the SEO playground.  I used to average about 1 per year, but haven't gotten one in the last 3 seasons (over 30k).

15 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

I wish there were more stretches of low-traffic high-enjoyment roads close by.  I'd probably feel a lot differently about street riding. 

There are roads where I have't seen a single LEO in 15 years.  That includes some in SEO and the most of WV.

While I've never ran from police, I have ditched a couple times, including a pretty hilarious one near Deals Gap 2 years ago.

Edited by Tpoppa

5 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

Speeding tickets are still cheaper than track days:lol:

I mean... I spent $528 on track days this year (including fuel for the bikes). I'd hate to think how much getting a ticket would jack up my insurance premiums and for how long. 

/shrug 

11 minutes ago, what said:

I mean... I spent $528 on track days this year (including fuel for the bikes). I'd hate to think how much getting a ticket would jack up my insurance premiums and for how long. 

/shrug 

In my case 6 points (most I've ever had ), resulted in a $0 increase from State Farm.  Other companies might be different.

We're taking this thread even further off topic, but insurance rates aren't only based on the violation and the number of points.  Demographic and driving history of the rider are major factors as well.

I don't claim to know a TON about the insurance industry, but my uncle is my agent.  He's told me that their most profitable clients are married men in their mid 30's who get an OVI.  They're old enough that they can afford to keep driving, and will pay the inflated rate, but they're a low risk to actually pick up additional traffic violations or accidents, because their wife will KILL them if they do.

A guy Tony's age with 6 points is probably still a lower claim risk than a 20 yr old with a clean driving record.  At least on a sport bike... 

On 10/9/2017 at 4:05 PM, NinjaDoc said:

And off roading attempt needs to happen at least once heheh Atleast just for experience

Doc, By next year you could be relaxing doing this and enjoying the views. Nothing but road surface irregularity's and a little water.

Edited by B-Mac