Giving up riding: is it even possible?

NinjaDoc

Not to stretch out the topic too much, will try to make it short. I was just wondering if the active crowd here had gone off  the riding grid and then returned again. When i say active crowd i mean folks who were really into riding and this was almost your first passion. For last couple of years i been starting to wean down, mainly my brain was telling me to stop and be careful but heart kept pushing. I thought this was normal and just about every body who rides goes through this because its a dangerous sport. Literally one of the most dangerous hobby, way more dangerous than even skydiving etc. I tried quitting 3-4 times but as soon as i sell all bikes i am still on CT CL searching reading researching and then buying and be right back were i started, 

But in the last few months i feel even my heart has given up on it. May be for the good, its been two months since i scavenged the web for the next engine type / bike style to try which is a big deal for me lol . I tried to put together the fall ride thinking the excitement would trigger the passion again. But it was purely mechanical for me. Then there was a free weekend, no family no social commitment, i just didnt want to ride and just wasted a perfect weather day for first time.   This Saturday was the first time in my memory i was forcing myself to ride. I was hoping few miles and things would start to get clear and i start to enjoy it. Dont get me wrong It was fun but not that blood boiling adrenaline rush nor cloud walking endorphin feels i used to get no matter what speed what type of ride i used to do. 

I know this is a silly post and no point in discussing, just wanted to put it out there. All these years in USA, every major decision i took if it had any bearing on riding, it was affected by it. Eg: there was much much better job prospects than my current ones but had to be in areas where there only flat boring roads around. I didnt even consider it at that time because riding was a priority. Trust me, once you live in places like michigan, Ohio and SEO feels like dragon mullholand etc .  Now in another year my current contract and commitment will be over and in fact i can start looking for better options starting end of the year. I wonder how i would choose and whtr i would regret it later. 

there were so many active peeps who used to ride a lot on this forum. I always wondered what happened to those folks as out of the blue they just stopped riding and quit all together. I can understand transient hobby and fad, midlife crisis folks just passing by. But folks who been really into it and about quitting it seemed unfathomable until this point. Did you ever quit/quit and came back? quit it but now cant get back and miss it every day ? baaah leave it who cares i be seeling stuff and buying new bike by 2018 most likely ....daaaaaamiiiiiiiiiiittttt 

PS: i even know what bike i want ...prolly that why i am not searching.....daaaaaaayummmmm 

Not specifically riding but I think everybody has burnout. If you take a break for a while and then get the itch again, you can pick up a bike no problem, you of all people know how to buy them. :p 

You could even hang onto the bike and ride it when the inclination hits. If you hardly end up riding, the insurance on a street triple is only like $20-30/month. It would be a $300/year backup-happiness plan. 

Edited by what
  • Like 1

my biggest worry if taking some major life decision without taking riding into account and then being stuck in middle of flat lands like florida. For average joe, no snow warm weather blah blah  florida beats ohio hands down, But from my old perspective i would choose ohio anyday because of good riding available after 1 hr slab for 6-7 months a year. Or vice versa like finding an opportunity near lets say gap area thinking about awesome riding choices but sacrificing some other priority only to loose that instinct to enjoy riding forever. 

5 minutes ago, Danimal said:

for someone that has their health, and make a good living with a noble job and loving family, you sure worry a lot Nivin.

I suggest you look into TM or Yoga. Learn to chill

You have much to be happy and relaxed about. Material shit isn't all that

Hahah I guess u completely missed what I was trying to say, in a round about way I was getting at I was least bothered about materialistic stuff and one of the only few priority I had in life was riding :)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NinjaDoc said:

my biggest worry if taking some major life decision without taking riding into account and then being stuck in middle of flat lands like florida. For average joe, no snow warm weather blah blah  florida beats ohio hands down, But from my old perspective i would choose ohio anyday because of good riding available after 1 hr slab for 6-7 months a year. Or vice versa like finding an opportunity near lets say gap area thinking about awesome riding choices but sacrificing some other priority only to loose that instinct to enjoy riding forever. 

There are tracks in Florida. Trailering the bike 10 hours north will also get you up to deal's gap.

Ultimately it's a decision you have to make yourself. How much is your happiness worth to you? Does riding make you happy? Does it help relieve stress? Would you be able to use the extra money/status from taking a job somewhere without twisty roads and turn it into something beneficial to your mental health and physical well-being? People are right, riding does get into your blood, it is something that you can never really quit. That said, you can take breaks, explore new interests or invest your time into other things. You'll always have riding to come back to when you want. 

I'm not trying to talk you into stopping riding Nivin, I'm trying to provide the other side of the argument beyond "stop being a pussy and keep riding" that you're likely to get here. 

Edited by what

I got away from riding for about 15 years. My wife lost her cousin to a motorcycle accident and she was very uncomfortable with the idea of me riding. So I hung up my helmet and between kids, work, and life I kept very busy. Picked up a few hobbies to pass time  I'm pretty sure I have the OR to thank for getting back into it. As a lot of you know I live right next to one of your favorite meet up spots. A couple years ago the wife and I stopped for fuel on our way home and there had to be 40-50 sporty bikes at the gas station (epic ride maybe?) She could tell it was killing me and after surviving 3 heart attacks in the previous couple of years I guess she figured I should do whatever the fuck I wanted. I was ordered to get another bike and here I am. One thing I can tell you for certain is you will never replace the feeling of locking your eyes on the road and having complete focus on nothing but the asphalt, the tree line ahead and the sweet howl of an inline child of mama kaw. Doc it seems to me bikes might be in your blood so don't go off the deep end. Sometimes you just don't wanna ride

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Most of you know I'm one of the old guys here.  Less than a month away from 67and riding since I was 14.  Have been away from riding several times thru the years.  Couldn't tell you 'zactly when or for how long, but it prolly doesn't matter.  At least once was due to finances.  At least once was due to fatal accidents by riding friends.  At least once was due to lack of energy for the whole riding scene.  Bottom line, I'd say if it feels right for you, go ride.  Stop when it no longer feels right.  Sell your stuff when you're not using it #becausedepreciableasset.  Buy new, better stuff if you decide to throw a leg over again.  Yer welcome.

Edited by Bubba
  • Upvote 2

I quit riding, sold my bike for almost a year. Probably the most miserable year of my life. I had other hobbies but nothing was like riding. I also found out that riding for the adrenaline rush was a toxic way of riding for me. I now ride for stress relief, travel to see new things, and of course meeting great people. I still like the adrenaline rush every now and then, but in moderation so it doesn't get out of control. I think everyone hits that rut of not riding, it's how you cope with it and move forward.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Interesting you bring this topic up at this time. A little history, I have been riding on the street since I was 17 and I will be 60 this week. Always had street bikes and I also rode dirt for a time. When my kids were little the bike collected dust, I maybe rode 1000 miles a year. Once my last kid said he wasn't going to play college sports (2007) I bought a new bike because I always wanted to ride more miles. New bikes are so much better than 80's bikes, safer with better brakes and handling, ABS along with TC. Here is my dilemma Doc, after having a bad heart attack (37 minutes without a pulse and 8 days in a coma plus artic/sun protocol) I have had a miraculous recovery. According to every medical doctor or nurse I encountered I am a very lucky man. In less than three months I went back to work (flew to Mexico) last week. My cardiologist told me I would not be allowed to ride a motorcycle for 6 months to a year. I have gone through physical, speech and occupational therapies and brought up riding a motorcycle with docs and therapist and not one would even consider allowing me to ride. What I have found is the medical community encounter so many negative results of riding, I do not believe anyone will say "go ride." I am back to lifting weights, elliptical and walking 5 miles almost everyday. I talked to my wife and I will consider riding in December because the medical field wants reduce health risk and this is a very risky hobby. I understand their position, but most doctors, unlike you Ninja Doc, can not understand our love of riding. This sport is in your blood or it isn't.

• Beer 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Killer_kaw said:

I got away from riding for about 15 years. My wife lost her cousin to a motorcycle accident and she was very uncomfortable with the idea of me riding. So I hung up my helmet and between kids, work, and life I kept very busy. Picked up a few hobbies to pass time  I'm pretty sure I have the OR to thank for getting back into it. As a lot of you know I live right next to one of your favorite meet up spots. A couple years ago the wife and I stopped for fuel on our way home and there had to be 40-50 sporty bikes at the gas station (epic ride maybe?) She could tell it was killing me and after surviving 3 heart attacks in the previous couple of years I guess she figured I should do whatever the fuck I wanted. I was ordered to get another bike and here I am. One thing I can tell you for certain is you will never replace the feeling of locking your eyes on the road and having complete focus on nothing but the asphalt, the tree line ahead and the sweet howl of an inline child of mama kaw. Doc it seems to me bikes might be in your blood so don't go off the deep end. Sometimes you just don't wanna ride

2 hours ago, Bubba said:

Most of you know I'm one of the old guys here.  Less than a month away from 67and riding since I was 14.  Have been away from riding several times thru the years.  Couldn't tell you 'zactly when or for how long, but it prolly doesn't matter.  At least once was due to finances.  At least once was due to fatal accidents by riding friends.  At least once was due to lack of energy for the whole riding scene.  Bottom line, I'd say if it feels right for you, go ride.  Stop when it no longer feels right.  Sell your stuff when you're not using it #becausedepreciableasset.  Buy new, better stuff if you decide to throw a leg over again.  Yer welcome.

2 hours ago, JustinNck1 said:

I quit riding, sold my bike for almost a year. Probably the most miserable year of my life. I had other hobbies but nothing was like riding. I also found out that riding for the adrenaline rush was a toxic way of riding for me. I now ride for stress relief, travel to see new things, and of course meeting great people. I still like the adrenaline rush every now and then, but in moderation so it doesn't get out of control. I think everyone hits that rut of not riding, it's how you cope with it and move forward.

Exactly kind of some personal experiences I was hoping to hear. thx for sharing guys. 

@what regarding track, I defenitly have that faint plan on my back burner, trying track and off road at least few times next year if the full on street ride bug is not back. And regarding post it's not about me choosing something over riding, I was wondering about the deep passion for riding does it come back once it leaves you. That's all. I thought there might be at least few peeps here who went through that one time or the other. 

I've gotten bored with riding on the street... I just commute the 5 miles to work on occasion now. Actually thinking about just selling the street bike and upgrading the track bike. Not much fun riding around here and if it's not fun, what's the point in taking the risk? Track days and racing have ruined street riding for me... 

I don't commute, that bores me. I only ride local on occasion. To me if I'm not looking for a place to stay for the night it's not worth getting the bike out. Does this mean I'm weaning off riding? Absolutely not! I'm put more miles on my bike every year than most of you all and that keeps increasing. But I love the long trips and seeing new things and going to new places as well as visiting places I know I love. Nothing but me the bike the road and leave all the worries of home and work behind. To me there is a point to every trip to where I take a deep breath and realize I'm in my zen moment that I've been looking for. Somtimes i find it in some fun twisties at mach retard and sometime i find it on a mountain road with beautiful views, sometime I even find it sitting down to a great meal after a long days ride but I always find it. Last year I did 15k this year I already have 15k with at least 3k more planned and much more planned next season. 

Guess what I'm saying is everyone is looking for something  different in riding. But riding needs to be a part of your life not let riding control your life. I'm fine with letting the bike sit for a few weeks while I spend time with family and do other things it just makes that next trip that much more enjoyable. As far as the mortality thing I had my scare this year with my back injury and it opened my eyes to how fragile life is, but it didn't change my passions it just made me more cautious. Think most folks that have ridden with me this year have seen that I've taken it back a notch compared to what I used to do. But I'm still doing it.

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

I ride when the urge strikes me. Some years I put over 10,000 miles on, other years a couple thousand... 

I agree with bubba, if you're finding that you're not riding, sell... If you get the urge again, buy...

Like what said, there are tracks in Florida, you might find track riding to be that perfect space filler between your long rides to places you haven't gone yet...

I took an unwanted break from riding during my college years as my bike was stolen from me. At that time I couldn't afford to buy another bike with the cost of school an didn't want to risk having another bike stolen.  Looking back it, a part of me is glad that bike was stolen.  I was too young and dumb to own a sport bike as I was always pushing the limits with it (rode only for the thrill back then) and went down a few times playing around (luckily no injuries from any).  

Once I finished school and got my first professional job I was ready to get a new toy.  I tried out the car scene for a few years, but it just didn't have the same feel. So I grabbed a new to me shadow 750 to start back into riding.  This second entrance into the sport was different for me, as I wasn't in it just for the thrill of the speed.  Now I took up riding for the feeling of being connected to the road and crunching miles.  Today I get most of miles commuting to and from work and its a highlight of my day!  But its true I rarely get an adrenaline rush like I did with my old sport bike.  

So my thought on riding is like many hobbies where it always comes in waves depending on what you have going on in your life.  That is why I use my bike to commute so I always get to enjoy it, but also get practical day to day use out of it.

• Upvote 1

I started riding around 1992.  First major crash in '96 that put me off bikes until the bug got me again in '99.  Got layed off and sold that bike in 2002 to make rent payments.  Didn't ride again until 2008.  Been riding hard and lots of street miles(45k+ on 2 bikes) till my crash last fall.  I picked up a new bike to replace the one I totalled but some of that diehard passion has been replaced by caution and at times a lack of interest, this year will probably be less than 5k miles total between all of my bikes.  

For me that want to ride has been there since I was in my teens.  It fluctuates up and down all the time but as others have said it is a very hard thing to fully give up on and it is certainly a personal choice for each person.

• Upvote 1

When I got divorced in 2010, I sold the the bike I had and didn't ride at all for about 5 years. I borrowed friends bikes for an occasional ride here and there when the itch would hit me. It wasn't until 2016 that I got another. I don't ride nearly as fast as I used to. Too many other things in life aren't worth me dying over by riding over the limit. But I still enjoy a good curvy road. It's more of an escape for me. Like others have said. It's a way to clear your mind of distractions and think of nothing else but the road in front of you or where you're headed for the day. If you feel you need to take a break, then take a break. No harm in following what your gut says to do. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Limitedslip7 said:

I've gotten bored with riding on the street... Actually thinking about just selling the street bike and upgrading the track bike. Not much fun riding around here and if it's not fun, what's the point in taking the risk? Track days and racing have ruined street riding for me... 

This.

I've been forcing myself to get out lately, but I know as soon as I sell the street bike, I'll want to cruise around on the street again.

13 hours ago, Limitedslip7 said:

I've gotten bored with riding on the street... I just commute the 5 miles to work on occasion now. Actually thinking about just selling the street bike and upgrading the track bike. Not much fun riding around here and if it's not fun, what's the point in taking the risk? Track days and racing have ruined street riding for me... 

I'm pretty much exactly the opposite.

I found the track to be kinda boring.  20 minute sessions just weren't enough to scratch the itch.  I remember leaving the track day thinking...I'd like to go for a real ride now.

I also felt like being on the track was more risky, but that could have been because of the people in my group.

I slept on this last night and with what I said and with what I have seen other say here is what I came up with. (Just my opinion/ Not a professional just a UNpaid spokes person/I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night{@Tonik says I'm too cheap for that})

If your looking for a thrill or an Adrenaline rush by all means keep it off the streets. Not saying hang it up but do the track days and or closed course stuff. I think it's been proven a few times this year that the street is no place for that, if that's all your after. Not saying an occasional spirited pace is frowned upon just saying if that is your goal is (a thrill) maybe the track is the best option. If your looking for a get away and or an escape, that's what the streets are for. Afternoon rides and weekend meet ups are great to explore hang with friends or just go out on your own and clear your head. I think a few of these rides this year have gotten a bit out of hand, I bit my tongue and didn't say anything just went out and did my one thing like your supposed to. One ride in particular I was supposed to be in a medium-fast pace group and I round the corner and the leader was leaving me in the strait like I was standing still, I look down and I'm already doing 85 and the chaps behind me were nowhere to be found. So maybe we all need to step it back a notch and reevaluate what we have and what the cost are for what we do. Not saying give it up by any means but in a way I think things seem to get out of hand pretty quick anymore and sometimes becomes a dick measuring contest with out us even realizing it.

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 2

This sport or hobby, however you want to classify it, is such a physical and even more so mentally demanding activity.  I've always thought that the moment you are riding and not truly focusing on what you are doing because you are disinterested, scared, preoccupied, or for any other reason, you probably shouldn't be riding.   If you are 'forcing' yourself to get out on your bike, what's the point?   Riding should be fun and maybe even give you a nice adrenaline high, irregardless of the pace you are running.  If it's no longer fun, put it aside and try other things.  Maybe the passion will come back.  

This is usually the discussion I see as we enter winter.  You start to burnout from the entire riding season.  For those who have payments on their bikes (or high insurance premiums) start to question whether they want to make payments through months they can't ride.  It's all cyclical cause once March hits, I see a ton of people jumping at the bit to get back on their bikes.  

Personally, Nivin, I can see the track fixing a lot your issues.  You've got a boy now and that's put a lot of things in perspective for you.  The dangers of the street, which you've always known to exist, become that much more real.  The track eliminates A LOT of that nonsense.  You can go as fast as you want with no fear of the traditional street issues.  

For me, bikes is only part of the passion for me.  I enjoy the camaraderie of riding with others and enjoying it together.  Some of my most fun is when we get off the bikes at a stop and the discussions that are had.  I enjoy the motography (motorcycle photography/videography) aspect of it too.  I enjoy trying to put something entertaining together for others to enjoy.  

Just my .02.  I'd hate to see you leave the community Nivin, as you are a great person for this community. 

• Upvote 1

I absolutely loved riding, it was my favorite thing for several years. I was never the best rider but typically enjoyed myself riding with people much better and faster than me. Deals Gap area and the south ruined me because it was always way more fun down there and I worried less for some reason. Then up here was out riding solo one day and had the 2nd closest near miss in my years of riding and that's when the love started fading. It didn't help that around the same time several other things changed in my life which caused less and less time and desire for the long rides I enjoyed. It's been 2.5 years now without the bike and bought the fun car to replace it because it was slightly more practical and gets used way more in the 6 months I've owned it than I used the VFR in the last year I owned it.

I honestly only miss it when it comes to the Epic rides and the Gap Trip. Otherwise I don't miss riding that much. Now hanging out and seeing most the asshats I've made friends with over the years I definitely miss.

• Upvote 1

You're overthinking it.  Sounds like you are feeling guilty when you DON'T ride.

If you wake up on a beautiful Sat morning and don't feel like making it to the meet point and making up reasons not to go, then don't go.  If the morning of you commute you are indecisive on bike or car, take the car.

However, if you feel like I've got to get to bed early and need to get up to make the ride, then go.  

If those days you decide not to go end up stringing up to a few weeks, months, years, then so be it.

I've gone through times where I hardly ride and use that one cloud in the sky as an excuse not to take the girl out.  I've take a season off.  My passion came back the following year.  probably stronger.  But my mentality changed.  It wasn't just to rack up miles and speed, but it was to meet friends, wander mindlessly to detox my brain, go down half a mile to get some milk, slab it 3 hours to visit a friend for 30 minutes.  purpose changed, reasons changed, but passion was same...yet different.  

Ride your own ride.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1