Aftermarket rearsets

tall_tracy

Next question... It looks like I need a size 24 Allen wrench for that ginormous bolt on the rear sets... Is this something I can find at Home Depot or Lowe's?  The new rear sets are ordered and won't arrive for a couple weeks, so I have a little time to find it.

So you want a socket on so you can put a breaker bar on it. 1/2 inch. I think there is a high probability that lowes will have it. The Sears hardware near me will, as will Amazon.

Is that the nut for the swingarm shaft? And if so does it need to come out for the other side too?

34 minutes ago, Tonik said:

So you want a socket on so you can put a breaker bar on it. 1/2 inch. I think there is a high probability that lowes will have it. The Sears hardware near me will, as will Amazon.

Is that the nut for the swingarm shaft? And if so does it need to come out for the other side too?

Yes, I may need a breaker bar, unless I use an impact to break it loose.  I forgot about the Sears near you, I will check them out.  And other than the size of that socket, I'm not sure if that's the swingarm shaft, I need to do more research...

Thanks!!!!

6 minutes ago, tall_tracy said:

Yes, I may need a breaker bar, unless I use an impact to break it loose.  I forgot about the Sears near you, I will check them out.  And other than the size of that socket, I'm not sure if that's the swingarm shaft, I need to do more research...

Thanks!!!!

Boom!

Not suggesting you do the 5/8's trick but it isn't on tight and at least this side dies not involve the swingarm. As lose as that nut was I would be shocked if that is the swingarm.

What does the other side look like?

17 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Not suggesting you do the 5/8's trick but it isn't on tight and at least this side dies not involve the swingarm. As lose as that nut was I would be shocked if that is the swingarm.

What does the other side look like?

Well at least this confirms what the guys at the dealer told me about what size that large awful bolt is.  And I would rather find the right size wrench but it's good to know that 5/8's trick just in case.  Thanks for finding that video!!!

The other side is pretty much the same thing...

110314-2015-ducati-MONSTER-821-STRIPE-left-side.jpg

33 minutes ago, jacobhawkins said:

Ya know, I'm just glad to see you getting into more of a sportbike mode here.  You gonna come to some street rides down on SEO next year and some track days at mid ohio?

Thanks.  I'm just trying to make my bike more usable to me - I wanted to do similar things with my R6 but there were just too many things to change to make it more comfortable, now I'm faced with a comfortable bike that only needs minor changes so I can better use it at the track.  And I would like to ride SEO but I have a few hangups about joining rides - sorry, I can't remember if we talked about it or not.  And I'm working on getting my own suit so I can participate in some track days next year - I'm just not sure where they will be at yet.

I would also like to come & watch some OMRL races next summer too!! 

Who would have thought finding a 24mm Allen wrench was so difficult...  I've been to Sears hardware, Home Depot, Lowe's and an industrial tool store.  The guy at the indutrial tool joint tried to tell me to go to a mechanic he knows of instead... Uh huh, nope.

Edited by tall_tracy

13 minutes ago, tall_tracy said:

Who would have thought finding a 24mm Allen wrench was so difficult...  I've been to Sears hardware, Home Depot, Lowe's and an industrial tool store.  The guy at the indutrial tool joint tried to tell me to go to a mechanic he knows of instead... Uh huh, nope.

I had to buy my gigantic allen online.Sears nor any of the specialty tool stores that they pointed me to had one.

7 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

I never dreamed it would be that hard to find a 24mm hex socket. I just did some searching and there isn't too many options let alone reasonably cheap options.

https://store.snapon.com/Hand-Sockets-Socket-Motorcycle-1-2-drive-24-mm-external-hex-Suzuki-Hayabusa--P642959.aspx

Right?!??  I figured it would be available somewhere but I guess not.  I'll find one eventually, it's not like I need it right away, the rearsets are coming from Italy so that will take a couple weeks, plus the weather isn't really ideal right now for riding so I'm not in a huge hurry to get it.

Thanks for looking, I appreciate it.  

Just now, tall_tracy said:

Right?!??  I figured it would be available somewhere but I guess not.  I'll find one eventually, it's not like I need it right away, the rearsets are coming from Italy so that will take a couple weeks, plus the weather isn't really ideal right now for riding so I'm not in a huge hurry to get it.

Thanks for looking, I appreciate it.  

Most 24mm hex is needed for front axle, which is hollow, so you can use these, but I don't think it will work in your situation.

https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0397-Chrome-Axle/dp/B009D3FPSM

1 minute ago, JustinNck1 said:

Most 24mm hex is needed for front axle, which is hollow, so you can use these, but I don't think it will work in your situation.

https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0397-Chrome-Axle/dp/B009D3FPSM

Yeah, I've seen those everywhere but it won't work for me at all.... :(

2 minutes ago, tall_tracy said:

Yeah, I've seen those everywhere but it won't work for me at all.... :(

I just saw this mentioned on a Ducati forum..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-GSXR-750-24mm-Allen-Wrench-Axle-Tool-112611-001-/152016800400?epid=758277934&hash=item2364e84a90:m:mSTd-LrfPw-xMtuf-EsL5tg&vxp=mtr

Just now, JustinNck1 said:

I was just going to look on the Ducati/Monster forums - a few solutions were found and someone used something they found at Lowe's if I remember correctly.  I should have saved the page, but of course I didn't...  :nono:

30 minutes ago, Tonik said:

You're the best... wait, no, I don't mean that at all.... ;)

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 12:41 PM, tall_tracy said:

I had to disconnect the shifter linkage on my R6 just to change the oil, it was more of a pain than anything else.  I'm worried about loosening the large bolts that hold it all in place...

maxresdefault (3)_LI.jpg

Find a nut that fits in there and use that to remove it.  a lot cheaper then buying something to remove it that they will prolly charge you 30$ for

1 hour ago, kbrok said:

Doing rearsets should take less then 20minutes to do. 

It took me 2 hours with all my tools.  I'm particular, but reasonably capable of following directions.  20 minutes and you should be a semi pro pit bitch. Nice job!

• Beer 1