Lane splitting in Ohio

Noah Calhoun

31 minutes ago, Noah Calhoun said:

How enforced is lane splitting through heavy traffic here?

If a cop sees you and can get to you, you are probably getting a ticket, but I do it whenever needed and have never had an issue with the law.

However, I will warn you, it's not the police I'd be worried about.  People get really upset when they see a bike taking advantage of this and they will cut you off purposefully and try to block you from getting by, for no reason other than the fact they can't do it and it pisses them off.... so if you do plan to lane split, I'd recommend being on incredibly high alert and do so at only a slightly higher speed than traffic is moving to give you plenty of time to react to those who can't understand what you are doing has no affect to them whatsoever. 

Edited by DerekClouser
Typos

4 minutes ago, DerekClouser said:

If a cop sees you and can get to you, you are probably getting a ticket, but I do it whenever needed and have never had an issue with the law.

However, I will warn you, it's not the police I'd be worried about.  People get really upset when they see a bike taking advantage of this and they will cut you off purposefully and try to block you from getting by, for no reason other than the fact they can't do it and it pisses them off.... so if you do plan to lane split, I'd recommend being on incredibly high alert and do so at only a slightly higher speed than traffic is moving to give you plenty of time to react to those who can't understand what you are doing has no affect to them whatsoever. 

Thanks I have already learned that haha, some lady nearly clipped me with her mirror this morning flying by me at Mach 7 almost pushed me into a semi.

1 hour ago, DerekClouser said:

What he said^^^^

Keep in mind that lain splitting is ONLY 25mph or less, and 15mph differential speed. So if its stop and go on 77, espcialy when its hot out. Im going for it. If therre is room. Also know that the emergency lane is also off limits.

Most of the time, you should be done, and gone before the person ever looks up from there cell phone. Yes they will be very pissy with you, cuz you didnt "wait" in line. But whatever, im ahead of you now, get over. 

But please, stick to the "cali Laws" and dont give it a bad name here in Ohio. 

1 hour ago, flashesbuck said:

What he said^^^^

Keep in mind that lain splitting is ONLY 25mph or less, and 15mph differential speed. So if its stop and go on 77, espcialy when its hot out. Im going for it. If therre is room. Also know that the emergency lane is also off limits.

Most of the time, you should be done, and gone before the person ever looks up from there cell phone. Yes they will be very pissy with you, cuz you didnt "wait" in line. But whatever, im ahead of you now, get over. 

But please, stick to the "cali Laws" and dont give it a bad name here in Ohio. 

I got you, I never really split over 30mph.

There have been countless discussions on here about lane splitting and l will always say the same thing.  Ohio has some great roads, but it also has a shit ton of asshat drivers.  I have been given the finger, cussed at, raced, and swerved at by asshats who got mad because I legally passed them, so I don't want the stress of some butt hurt dick who decides he is going to follow me home or run me down because I filtered forward at a light or lane split.  There are some here that are ok with it, I just don't want the distraction and stress it can cause.

• 2 weeks later...

I only split when traffic is completely stopped, and even then it's just to sneak out to a side road or exit that I couldn't reach by car.    I got stuck at a dead stop in the fast lane of 270 one time - I wound up splitting lanes and cutting between stopped cars to reach the exit that was 100 yards ahead of where I first stopped.  Nobody gave me any grief.

I went to Kentucky to see the big eclipse back in August.  The drive home was stop and go for 10 hours.  :-/   Saw 3 bikes splitting individually.  Told my son they'd get in trouble for that.  Soon enough, all 3 bikes are now pulled over, together having a chat with a pair of Highway Patrol officers...

Edited by Scruit