Odd noise from 08 DL650

MotoBunny86

oldschoolsdime92 sent me here to ask about assistance with my V-Strom.

After a trip to Indianapolis over the weekend, I noticed an odd popping/knocking sound coming from the engine as I accelerate through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. If it's doing it past 3rd, I can't tell over the regular engine noise. Can't pinpoint the location since I can only hear it while I'm riding. There is currently an oil leak that I need to find and my level was a bit over the 'Low' line. Topped it off with fresh oil, but it didn't stop the noise. Has anyone encountered this before or perhaps knows what may be causing it? Any and all help will be much appreciated, thank you all.

How old, worn and dry is the chain?  Could be a tight link or excessively worn sprocket teeth.  They can make some pretty weird sounds when they're past their useful life.  If the bike is new to you and it's a low motor knock sound--like a rod bearing or piston slap--the DL650 motors were notorious for their "agricultural" motor noise.  I bought mine used 9 years ago and was convinced for the first year or two that the motor was gonna grenade some day.  Still going strong 40K miles later.

The chain and sprockets seem to be in good shape. The bike does have 88k on the odometer, but the noise just started this weekend and I've had it for about a month now. The previous owner took very good care of it and it ran fine when I bought it.