Make The Most of Every Ride

JustinNck1

So as some of you know, I attended a FJR rally in Wytheville, VA this weekend. The weather was great and the roads were amazing, but we were struck by a great tragedy. We had a rider crash and was killed. This thread is not to discuss the cause of the crash, but rather to remind people to reflect on how great we have it. Make the best out of your riding trips and enjoy them as much as you can. You never know when it could be your last. 

• Beer 4
  • Sad 2

Rip :( / 

this weekend I was kind of having a bad premonition about riding. To the point i even txted jacob to take it easy and ride safe. 

Ride safe every one, esp during this OR black cloud year. 

Edited by NinjaDoc

13 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

I knew of him, but not closely. He had been a part of the FJR community for a long time.

Do you know what/how it happened?   No blame needs to be placed anywhere, just curious of the circumstances as an educational thing.  

Just now, DerekClouser said:

Do you know what/how it happened?   No blame needs to be placed anywhere, just curious of the circumstances as an educational thing.  

Nothing showed rider error or mechanical failure. Pavement was in great shape, no gravel. Assumptions are health related issue may have caused something.

That man was considered by the best riders in the FJR community to be a highly skilled and disciplined rider, one of the best.  Knowing what I know about him, I'm inclined to believed the medical problem theory.   He was also an extraordinarily nice guy. 

• Like 1

It's probably worth mentioning that the rider was 78 or 79 years old,which leads many people to question a possible health issue.He was a very seasoned and respected rider and member of the FJR community.I just talked to someone that was at the accident scene shortly after the crash.From what he said it was an easy turn,like a 35 mph suggested turn after a long straight away...something Petey would have no problem with.

Thankfully he went quick,probably instantaneously.

RIP Petey,the FJR community has lost another one of it's long time members that gave it its soul.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, drc32-0 said:

It's probably worth mentioning that the rider was 78 or 79 years old,which leads many people to question a possible health issue.He was a very seasoned and respected rider and member of the FJR community.I just talked to someone that was at the accident scene shortly after the crash.From what he said it was an easy turn,like a 35 mph suggested turn after a long straight away...something Petey would have no problem with.

Thankfully he went quick,probably instantaneously.

RIP Petey,the FJR community has lost another one of it's long time members that gave it its soul.

Yes, I agree the corner was an easy turn, uphill as well. My group was probably 40 minutes behind them. We stopped for lunch and waved them around. The sight of Marty and Ray's faces when I passed by, I knew something wasn't right. Petey wen't out doing what he loved to do, and I am envious of that.