Pope Accused of Spreading Heresy

Tpoppa

On 12/8/2017 at 7:24 PM, jschaf said:

You feel sorry because I can't see the alleged "intelligent" design of things around me?  I feel sorry for you because you worship a god that is supposed to be full of unconditional love yet wants to send the majority to eternal damnation & suffering.   Don't feel sorry for me man? I do see great beauty in nature & the universe & get much joy from this beauty.  I have no need to think that a man-like imaginary friend who has our best interest as his top priority is pulling the strings.  I trust in nature & rely on science to describe it in a way I can understand.  I realize that science will not have all the answers before man or nature erases humankind from existence but I think science is a lot more accurate than this bible people keep quoting.  The bible was written by men (why not women, because they're just put here to serve man, like the animals, lol?), & certainly not this alleged god, when science was pretty much yet to be born. Furthermore, separation of church & state was one of the best ideas of this country's founders.  Unfortunately, as of late, we have a lot of people that would like to change that.  Hope you're not one of them.

I didn't say I felt sorry for you. I apologized TO YOU because I felt I had to tell you that you weren't looking hard enough to see there is a designer behind our existence. Not sure why you ran off on a tangent about "feeling sorry for you". That's not what I said.

For what it's worth, when people define believing in God as a character flaw of someone that is weak, that needs to believe in "imaginary friends"...I find it to be the absolute most offensive thing someone can say about religion. Especially when it comes from a friend....not some anonymous schmuck on the internet.

And just so you understand, because it appears that you do not, not all Christian believe that non-believers will spend eternity in hell-fire and damnation. Not all Christians believe you're a bad person if you don't repent. Not all Christians believe that "everything" is a sin, and sin results in torture and punishment. So, as I've said to others, you may not want to generalize and throw all Christians into one category. The ones that act in this manner, are doing it wrong. The ones that return hate with love get sick of the hypocrisy of the ones that walking around judging everyone's souls. I'd appreciate it if you didn't describe all Christians by the characteristics of the worst Christians.

I'll argue all day about intelligent design. You mention science. I believe in science just as much as you do. I work for a company that has products at CERN, NASA, JPL, SpaceX. I don't argue with science.  Where scientific understanding fails, there's plenty that points to God. Plenty. And many scientists agree on that fact.

Edited by Blitz

Sorry I offended your personally man. You're a good guy to ride with.   I guess we diverge on principle issues though. As an atheist, religion just irritates the hell out of me. Even the bible has some really weird shit that encourages the disrespect of our fellow citizens in there. The koran has even weirder shit.  I don't understand how people can pledge allegiance to any of that.  We probably shouldn't talk about religion (or politics).  Let's call a truce.

• Beer 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, jschaf said:

Sorry I offended your personally man. You're a good guy to ride with.   I guess we diverge on principle issues though. As an atheist, religion just irritates the hell out of me. Even the bible has some really weird shit that encourages the disrespect of our fellow citizens in there. The koran has even weirder shit.  I don't understand how people can pledge allegiance to any of that.  We probably shouldn't talk about religion (or politics).  Let's call a truce.

Works for me, my friend. No hard feelings.

And yes, the Old Testament has some strange stuff in it....no denying it. The New Testament makes up for it though, in my opinion.